Potato pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's an interesting twist. I would try it.

For years at our state fair here, there was a vendor who sold potato pizza. It was the epitome of starchy goodness and always a perennial favorite (although I didn't see them this year) but their product was potatoes ON a pizza crust, not a pizza crust made from potatoes.

That's an interesting twist. I would try it.

For years at our state fair here, there was a vendor who sold potato pizza. It was the epitome of starchy goodness and always a perennial favorite (although I didn't see them this year) but their product was potatoes ON a pizza crust, not a pizza crust made from potatoes.

When DH was a teenager, he was an exchange student in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle, for three weeks. He says they served potatoes morning, noon and night - hashed, mashed, bashed, gashed, you name it ;) He got so tired of potatoes that one day, he asked the mother to make a pizza. He had to describe how to make it. He was so excited. And then - you guessed it - she put potatoes on the pizza! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure he ate his fill when he got home.

When DH was a teenager, he was an exchange student in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle, for three weeks. He says they served potatoes morning, noon and night - hashed, mashed, bashed, gashed, you name it ;) He got so tired of potatoes that one day, he asked the mother to make a pizza. He had to describe how to make it. He was so excited. And then - you guessed it - she put potatoes on the pizza! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure he ate his fill when he got home.
LOL :LOL:

That's a good story!

It may not be a traditional pizza, but for gluten-intolerant folks (and that is where I posted the link) who struggle with making a gluten-free pizza dough, it is an interesting twist. One could probably do this "crust" with zucchini, sweet potatoes, or carrots. Also, for vegetarians, it is another option. I never said it was pizza. Canadian Living/Best Recipes Ever called it pizza <g>.

Last edited:
The title of this thread is "Potato Pizza" Wasn't it you that did that?
I was quoting the copyrighted title of what it was called on the show. But, it did catch your eye so you checked it out;). I only thought to share it because DC has a gluten-free forum and thought it might be of interest (also DC vegetarians). And those challenged by making pizza dough. Just a mind stretcher. Scenario: Want pizza, snowed in, don't have yeast/time to make pizza dough--have to feed the woodstove and shovel the driveway, I'm hungry, and I have everything else, including potatoes--maybe this will fill the spot.:innocent:

Last edited:
I was quoting the copyrighted title of what it was called on the show. But, it did catch your eye so you checked it out;). I only thought to share it because DC has a gluten-free forum and thought it might be of interest (also DC vegetarians). And those challenged by making pizza dough. Just a mind stretcher. Scenario: Want pizza, snowed in, don't have yeast/time to make pizza dough--have to feed the woodstove and shovel the driveway, I'm hungry, and I have everything else, including potatoes--maybe this will fill the spot.:innocent:

Enjoy your potatoes.

Can you pick up the pieces to eat it like pizza?

I would think one could make a crust using mashed potatoes and cheese and/or egg.

Can't you make the crust with potato flour? I think that is gluten free.

Can you pick up the pieces to eat it like pizza?

I would think one could make a crust using mashed potatoes and cheese and/or egg.
She sliced it on the show and served it as "pizza." She didn't actually pick it up and eat it. Probably need to use a knife and fork.

Can't you make the crust with potato flour? I think that is gluten free.
Most likely can, but don't you have to add things when making a gluten-free dough to make it rise, stick together, etc.? I am not gluten-intolerant and have (fortunately) not had many guests who are--when I have, I have gone with vegetarian, no bread or use rice cakes / wrappers.

Most likely can, but don't you have to add things when making a gluten-free dough to make it rise, stick together, etc.? I am not gluten-intolerant and have (fortunately) not had many guests who are--when I have, I have gone with vegetarian, no bread or use rice cakes / wrappers.

I'm not sure if adding yeast to a gluten free flour would make it rise. On one of my business trips to Antibes, I had a "pizza" that had a really thin crust that was done in a wood burning, outdoor oven. Almost cracker like. I doubt it was a yeast dough. I was thinking more along the lines of a tortilla like crust, which would have to be pre-baked.

It would be great if I could figure out how to get this directly on a hot pizza stone.
Can you put oiled/greased parchment paper on a stone? She oiled a pizza pan before she put the potatoes on the pan and then put it in the oven.

Had I known posting the link would generate so many comments/questions, I would have paid more attention to the show and less attention to my emails!;)

But, if you email the show, I bet they will get back to you. I emailed asking that they provide nutritional information on the web site, and they eventually did. There is a contact link on the web site, give it a try and let us know! The host is a skilled professional chef, so she should be able to figure it out for you!

Last edited:
Can you put oiled/greased parchment paper on a stone? She oiled a pizza pan before she put the potatoes on the pan and then put it in the oven.

Had I known posting the link would generate so many comments/questions, I would have paid more attention to the show and less attention to my emails!;)

But, if you email the show, I bet they will get back to you. I emailed asking that they provide nutritional information on the web site, and they eventually did. There is a contact link on the web site, give it a try and let us know! The host is a skilled professional chef, so she should be able to figure it out for you!

You can put unoiled parchment paper on a baking stone. No-knead bread recipes sometimes call for that.

Btw, I said "she" can call it pizza if she wants - did not say you said it. Also, the recipe headnote calls it a knife-and-fork pizza.

Back
Top Bottom