Potato dauphinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rascal

Head Chef

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 285
Why you Rascal you! and you don't list your ingredients?

looks yummy!

What's the difference between Dauphinoise and Scalloped?

Last edited:
Why you Rascal you! and you don't list your ingredients?

looks yummy!

What's the difference between Dauphinoise and Scalloped?

Interesting. I just googled this recipe. Some call for butter/cream/milk similar to scalloped potatoes and some also add gruyere cheese similar to au gratin. If there is a classic recipe that adheres to the dish's "original" roots, I don't know which way it goes.

I make Dauphinoise often, using a recipe from the Larrouse Gastronomique. I've never ever come across a recipe that says 'no' to dairy or eggs, and neither does Larrouse Gastronomique.

This is what they say:

Slice 1 lb floury potatoes very finely.
Put them in boiled milk (1 1/2 cups with an egg beaten into it.
Season with salt, pepper and grated nutmeg
Add 1/cup grated Gruyère.
Mix thoroughly, but carefully.

Have your gratin dish buttered, and rub with garlic
Arrange your potato slices neatly in rows (so they all cook more or less at the same time). Fill the dish up nearly to the top but not quite. Having done this, add an extra dusting of Gruyère.
When you put it in the oven, keep an eye on it. Use a fork to test for doneness.

Serve directly from the gratin dish.

That's the recipe I've used for years and years, so I can't see where your information came from. All the best.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

This is a recipe I posted here in 2012. The potatoes are first cooked in milk.

Perfect Scalloped Potatoes

3 pounds potatoes, peeled, and sliced very thin ( I use my mandolin)
3 cups milk
1 clove garlic
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
5 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees with a rack set in the lower third of oven. Combine sliced potatoes and milk in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, and immediately reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until potatoes are just tender, about 3 minutes.
2. Place a colander over a large bowl and drain potatoes, reserving milk. You should have 2 cups of thick, starchy milk. If potatoes have absorbed more than 1 cup of milk, add enough milk to bring the reserved milk volume to 2 cups.
3. Rub a 3 1/2-quart oval baking dish with garlic and butter. Arrange sliced potatoes in the baking dish; season with salt and pepper. Dot with remaining butter and pour over reserved cooking milk and cream. Sprinkle cheese over top.
4. Transfer baking dish to oven and bake until cheese becomes deep golden brown and milk has reduced and thickened, 80 min approx

I don't have a recipe, I go from memory. Buttered casserole dish then in a bowl a teaspoon of minced garlic, 50/50 cream and milk then grated Gruyere all mixed.
Important, although mentioned about the starch. I slice by hand the potatoe a and leave to soak in the sink. This removes the starch. Then layer with mixture between each layer. Bake accordingly. It is really nice, I can't believe the interest in this.

Russ

Yes. That's just about how it's done. But beware, it seems very simple, and with this recipe you have to be precise with your quantities, otherwise it can easily go wrong.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Hi thinkingwomen, Welcome to DC!

Haven't heard from a few of these posters in a little bit. Hope they see your post and get back here.

Best thing about recipes is that you can change them up how you would like.

Why don't you try it and let us know! I think that blend would certainly change the profile but not in a bad way.
What would you serve it with to compliment?

Just had a chance to research this a little and the minor variations are endless.
I reviewed recipes by Jacques Pepin, Julia Child, Joel Robuchon, Paul Bocuse, Gordon Ramsay, Guy Savoy, Auguste Escoffier, Alain Ducasse and Ann-Sophie Pic.
In its simplest form, the dish is thinly scalloped potatoes cooked in milk and seasoned with bay leaf, thyme, nutmeg and garlic, then browned in the oven.The garlic is not minced, but is used to wipe the oven dish.
Then there are other versions which include cream in the recipe. Some use more than others; some mix the milk with the cream to add extra richness.
Then there´s the cheese, which is usually added as a topping. Gruyère, Comté and even Cheddar are used.
Finally, there are recipes which add even more bits and pieces, like fennel fronds or breadcrumbs on top.
Not to be confused with gratin Lyonnaise, which is cooked on the stove top and has onions with it.

Back
Top Bottom