Pot Roast Seasoning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrsmd

Assistant Cook
I am somewhat new to cooking. I am making this weekend a Pot Roast in a slow cooker. I have all the herbs and spices and am ready to go forward. I see lots of advice for various seasonings.

My question is this: If I prepare a Rub (using herbs and spices), and apply it to all sides of the pot roast as per directions (apply 2 T on each side then sear), do I also add in additional spices and herbs to the crock pot itself (onions, garlic)?

Thanking you in advance

Definitely add onions, and depending on your personal tastes, some garlic. Pot roast is such a wonderful wintertime dish, and should be tasty, not bland.
You didn't mention the herbs and spices you are using in the rub. Could you let us know what you are using, and perhaps we can make suggestions about adding additional seasonings.

Definitely add onions, and depending on your personal tastes, some garlic. Pot roast is such a wonderful wintertime dish, and should be tasty, not bland.
You didn't mention the herbs and spices you are using in the rub. Could you let us know what you are using, and perhaps we can make suggestions about adding additional seasonings.
Thank you for the advice. My wife does not like it hot (chili), so I was planning on after onion and garlic salt:

Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Worstecher suace, and top off with bay leaves.

If you have reference to an especially good slow cooker recipe that would be welcomed.

Thank you. I actually have all the ingredients. The Caribean roast will be humming tomorrow morning. It's the only pot roast that lists sweet potatoes, much healthier.

Pappardelle With Slow-Cooker Beef Ragu

1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 TB. tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, sliced
Kosher salt
1 sprig rosemary
1 3" piece parmesan rind, plus shredded parmesan for topping
1 lb. beef chuck roast
Freshly ground black pepper
12 oz. fresh pappardelle
3 TB. chopped fresh parsley
2 TB. extra-virgin olive oil

1. Whisk the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, garlic and 1/2 tsp. salt in a 6 qt. slow cooker. Add the rosemary and parmesan rind. Season the beef all over with salt and pepper and add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the meat is very tender, 7 hours. Shred the meat in the slow cooker with two forks, discarding any large pieces of fat. Discard the rosemary sprig and the rind.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain. Return the pasta to the pot and add the shredded meat and sauce; stir in the reserved cooking water. Cook over medium high heat, tossing occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in half the parsley. Divide among bowls and drizzle with olive oil; top with shredded parmesan and the remaining parsley. Serves 4

Source: Food Network mag. June 2018

DH made this a short time ago and it was very good. Maybe try it some time in the future?

For my Pot Roast, I use about a quarter cup of AP flour, a couple tablespoons of kosher salt and a couple of teaspoons of pepper. I sear the roast on all sides (takes about 15 minutes), then I smear about 1/2 cup+ of prepared horseradish on the roast, add 1 cup of water, cover and roast in a 325 degree oven for about 2.5 hours, then I add a bunch of (cleaned) whole boiling onions, 6 or so small new potatoes (white preferred, red works too, gold if you ain't got anything else) and carrots cleaned and cut into quarters or so. Cover and continue to roast for 1.5 hours. Remove meat and veggies to a platter, cover and rest while you do a gravy or something with the liquid from the pot.

I've been making it pretty much like this since about the mid 1960's. I have other versions, but this is my go-to recipe and one that is requested often by friends and family. Shhhh...don't give out my recipe. ;)

Once upon a time I cooked my beef roast like this. Then came slow cookers and no more yummy sear.
I rarely use my slow cooker for this anymore, but when I did, I'd sear the meat in a skillet on the stove then deglaze the fond into the slow cooker. Without the flavor from the sear, it's hardly worth it to make, imo.

I rarely use my slow cooker for this anymore, but when I did, I'd sear the meat in a skillet on the stove then deglaze the fond into the slow cooker. Without the flavor from the sear, it's hardly worth it to make, imo.
They do make slow cookers that have a "stove top" mode now. In the RV, I'll use it (my Ninja Crock Pot) to make this Pot Roast. WARNING: In an RV, you'll get all sorts of folks stopping by to say, "Hi, that smells wonderful!"

Since your going to braise the roast, seasonings IMO are not that important. However, I do season and I make sure to season the roast well in advance of braising. If time permits maybe 24 - 48 hours.
I do brown up onions and garlic before adding any liquid.
And really salt is all you need for this. Then some cracked black pepper before the sear. I too think searing is very important. The fond is the building block.
My herbs and spices go in at the end.
Tasting the braising liquid is also very important. Make sure its salted properly.
And my best advice is to use something other than water. Stock of some sort. I am using boxed vegetable stock as my go to these days. It works with anything. I get it at Costco.
I also like to use beer. A good beer. Like wine it must be good to drink before even thinking about cooking with it.
Beer is mellow and very deep in flavor. No one will even know you used beer. Try it. Its great.

Searing the meat and cooking it with vegetables will provide most of the flavor for the pot roast. After carrots, onion, celery and garlic, I just add some Herbes de Provence. It's a good herb blend for a beef pot roast.

The process of rubbing the meat with a spice blend before searing is more important with fast cooked meats. For a braise, just add the herbs to the liquid.

I think there are probably as many ways to make Pot Roast as there are cooks in the kitchen! My advice would be, do not limit yourself. Try a few different ones and see what you like best.

IMO, Guinness is the one thing where the rule about being able to enjoy the alcohol you cook with, while cooking doesn't hold true. I dislike Guinness. But, I really enjoyed some good stew made with Guinness at our local Irish pub.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom