Portobello Caps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksm

Cook
We love roasting portobello mushroom caps. I have always done them pretty simply just using evoo and salt and pepper. Sometimes I will brush them with A-1 steak sauce.

Anyway, I was surfing the web looking for different recipes. What I discovered was most recipe instructions called for removing the mushroom gills.
Is there a specific reasons for this? I have never removed the gills on either the small caps or the large ones. I always though the gills added extra flavor.

Thoughts?

For grilling/roasting, I wouldn't't bother removing the gills. It certainly not necessary.

If you want to stuff the caps, I'd use a spoon to scrape out the gills. If you put them in soup, the gills will result in a darker colored soup.

Ditto Andy,
that's exactly what I do and why, from grilling to stuffing and soups.

Because of the various ways cooked, can't say I can tell a taste difference.

Thanks for the replies. Good information. Glad to know I wasn’t eating something I should not have been. lol

The gils are more spongy and the rest of the mushroom definitely has more of a chewy texture.

As Andy said, the gils definitely add a darker color ( especially if adding them to a soup or something with liquid).

The gils are more spongy and the rest of the mushroom definitely has more of a chewy texture.

As Andy said, the gils definitely add a darker color ( especially if adding them to a soup or something with liquid).

Seeing as three of us are saying that, it might be wise to note it....

I made 2 mushroom soups, the first was amazing and delish! The second, if I closed my eyes and didn't look, it was great... but with open eyes - believe it or not after the first bowl - I tossed it. I couldn't get past the colour.

I always remove the gills. Not sure why I do it though? Maybe the appearance and texture. I just want the meat.

I leave the gills on if I'm going to be grilling them on the Webber. The mushrooms are inverted, and doused with olive oil, or butter. The gills hold the fat, allowing it to drip into the fire, and give a great smoky flavor to the mushrooms.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When grilling I leave the gills in. Never occurred to me to remove them. When making soup, I never use Portobello mushrooms.

There aren't ever enough mushrooms. All kinds. We take the stems and gills, and dehydrate them for a mushroom powder.
I love the portabella mushroom. We make them with minced vegetables and herbs on top, with bread crumbs, and bake them. Heavy on the garlic and parsley.

There aren't ever enough mushrooms. All kinds. We take the stems and gills, and dehydrate them for a mushroom powder.
I love the portabella mushroom. We make them with minced vegetables and herbs on top, with bread crumbs, and bake them. Heavy on the garlic and parsley.

I like the minced veggie idea. I am going to try that.

I leave the gills on if I'm going to be grilling them on the Webber. The mushrooms are inverted, and doused with olive oil, or butter. The gills hold the fat, allowing it to drip into the fire, and give a great smoky flavor to the mushrooms.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That is pretty much what I have always done. As an experiment, last night i removed the gills before grilling. I won’t be doing that again. I think the gills give the mushrooms more flavor and you are correct about them holding the fat.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom