Pork Crown Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This recipe comes from my blog, and is an excerpt from one of my cookbooks. Enjoy.

G.W.’s GoodGrub, Lesson 88– Special dietary Restriction Recipes That Taste Great – Crown Roast of Pork Loin with Fixn’s

To see the pictures of this meal, please see lesson 88 from my blog, as I can't cut and paste the pictures.

Doesn’t that look spectacular? It does to me. The surprise is that everything on it is easy to make, and delicious. We have the crown pork roast on a bed of flowering kale, with some grilled sweet peppers around it, a pineapple upside down cake that is so moist, light, and sumptuous, a yummy, and refreshing fruit salad, a veggie tray, a beautiful cole slaw, and homemade ranch dip, with a bit of fresh dill for the veggies. The hardest part of making this meal is grating the fresh cabbage, carrots, and mincing the onion for the slaw.

What’s that Ted; you say you have teens in the house to do that. That’s the way to handle that chore!

So let’s break this into parts. First, the star of the show, the crown roast.

Alright, you on the left, tell me how you're going to cook this dish. Remember, this is an elegant one, so it must be done right. What's that? You don't have a clue? Yes you do. You just need a bit of coaching.
The crown rib roast is the best tasting, most succulent piece of pork I have ever cooked, or eaten. It is beautiful to the eye, and to the mouth. This roast is made from the pork loin with the ribs attached. The ends are frenched", that is, the small chine bones, and the meat between the bones are removed from the roast. That meat can then be used for sausage, or stuffing, or kabobs, etc. When purchasing the ribs, ask your butcher to leave the tenderloin attached. This will give you much more meat than ordinary baby-back ribs. Also, when the meat is formed into the classic Crown shape, the loin will act as a base to hold in the stuffing.
Most butchers will French the ribs for you upon request, though the butcher I went to didn't. After I found out how easy the process was, I was glad he didn't. I now have about three pounds of meat and bone with which to make a grand pot of baked beans, bean soup, and stir-fry (not all at once of course).

This roast is best when cooked in a smoky barbecue, though it is quite good roasted in the oven. Usually some kind of rub or marinade is used to treat and tenderize the meat starting the day before. Then while cooking, a glaze is brushed over the meat. The center is filled with fruits, farce meat, or stuffing after the crown roast is placed on the platter. Colorful vegetables placed around the roast complete the dish.
The following is just one way to prepare this elegant roast. You will undoubtedly find your own way to flavor your roast to perfection.

Ingredients:
Pork Loin Rack of Ribs Ribs with at least 16 bones. The chine bones should be removed, and the bones Frenched by your butcher.

3 cups Mandarin Orange slices
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, coarse grind
1/4 cup Sugar, or Sweetener
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 medium cooking Onion, diced
1 orange Bell Pepper
1 yellow Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
2 whole Cooking Onions
1 cup Brown-Rice
2 cups Water
5 whole Carrots
1 cup cold Water
1 bucket of hardwood chunks )I prefer maple, alder, or fruit woods)

If the roast isn’t already prepped by your butcher, prepare the meat by laying the ribs on a wooden cutting board, with the meaty side down. Slice the meat from between the bones until reaching the thick loin muscle. Cut the small eye of meat from the bone top as well, and remove the chine bones. Turn the meat over and remove the strip of fat and connecting tissue lying over the top muscle. Then, fillet that muscle from the loin. You will end up with a long and slender muscle containing small bones. Trim the ends of the rib rack so that when it is stood and formed into the crown, the end ribs will be about 1/2 inch part. Reserve the trimmed meat, chine bones, and connecting tissue for later meals.

Place the rice and remaining water into a covered pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to simmer, add 1/3 tsp. salt, cover, and let cook for thirty minutes. When the rice is done, add a touch of garlic powder and the mandarin oranges. Dice one of the onions and mix into the rice. Cover refrigerate. This is your stuffing.

Mash two cups of oranges in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Add one cup of water, 1/2 cup sugar or sweetener, the garlic, diced onion, salt, water, and pepper. Put into a very large plastic bag along with the ribs. Remove all air so that the ribs are completely covered by the marinade. Place in the refrigerator.

Next day, remove the ribs from the marinade and place into a lightly greased, heavy, cast-iron frying pan with a metal handle. Pour the marinade into a 2 quart saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil and set aside.
Fire up the grill for indirect heat. This is accomplished by dividing the charcoal into two piles on opposite sides of your grill. Ignite and let sit until the charcoal is red hot.

While the coals are heating, stand the ribs on end, meat side down, and form the rack into a circle with the curve of the bones arching outward, and meat turned in. Tie the end bones together with butchers cotton string, and wrap the entire roast with a turn of string.
Put four or five chunks of hardwood on each charcoal pile. Put a disposable, aluminum loaf pan between the charcoal piles with two cups of water in it. Place the grill in place, and center the crown roast between the charcoal piles. Cover the grill and close the vents halfway and let cook for 1 hour.
Remove the lid and brush the roast with marinade. Put aluminum foil hats on the bone ends. Replace the lid and baste every fifteen minutes for the next half hour. Check the meat thermometer. When it reads 140' F., remove and fill the inside with the rice/mandarin orange stuffing. Put the lid back on and cook for another twenty minutes, or until the temperature read in the thickest part of the meat reads 145’ F.. Remove from the grill, cover loosely with foil, and let rest 15 minutes before serving.

Brush all veggies , including the onions (peel them first), with cooking oil and lightly salt. Remove the barbecue lid and arrange the veggies around the fire. Add more wood if needed. Brush the roast with the cooked marinade sauce. Cover and cook for ten minutes more.
Remove the roast and place on a large platter. Let sit for fifteen minutes.
While the roast is resting, lightly grill the veggies. Place the colorful Veggies artistically around the roast and remove the string. Set a beautiful table and impress everyone with cloth napkins. Charge each member of your household $5 per plate and grin. You know your kidding. But do they? Muahahahaha.
Remove the veggies and place in a suitable bowl.
That’s all from my cookbook. Now, here is my juicy, refreshing, and tangy Cole Slaw Recipe. I’ve had people who said they prefer a creamy slaw tell me that after tasting this, they changed their favorite slaw; and it’s so simple to make.

Chief Longwind’s Refreshing Slaw:
The dressing for this slaw is so simple, it looks like it shouldn’t work. But it does, and deliciously so.
• 1 medium head green cabbage, or 1/2 head green and 1/2 head purple cabbage
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 2 carrots, grated
• 3/4 cup salad dressing (not mayonnaise)
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup ice-water
Grate the cabbage into a large bowl. Add the onion, sugar, salad dressing and ice-water. Wash, then grate the carrot into the bowl. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Now comes the important part, taste your slaw. If its not wet enough, add a bit more water. The same is true for the other ingredients. The goal is to create a salad that is very moist, even wet, and refreshing. The onion adds loads of flavor, but if the chunks are too large, or there is too much onion, it can be overpowering. And remember, you can always add more of any ingredient. But once it's in, it's almost impossible to remove. So add a little, taste, and adjust.

This next salad is light and refreshing. It perfectly compliments the main course and is a great summer or springtime treat. It can even be used after dinner to "cleanse the palate", leaving the mouth refreshed. And this one is full of delicious nutrition in its most natural form.

• two freestone peaches
• 2 cups fresh strawberries
• 2 apples
• 12 oz. Drained pineapple chunks
• 2 cups pitted cherries
• 2 tsp. lemon juice
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup sugar
Remove the pits from the peaches and cut into eight equal wedges. Cut the wedges in half and place in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Core the apples and cut into eight wedges, again cutting each wedge in half. Remove the hulls from the strawberries, and add these to the bowl with the cherries, and two tsp. of lemon juice, and the pineapple chunks. Stir to coat the fruit. Finally, add the water and sugar and toss all ingredients together. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Mary's Pineapple Upside-down Cake
I didn't create this recipe. It was given to me by my Mother-in-Law, the woman, who with my wife, taught me some pretty important basics some twenty years past. The cake is a wondrous thing. So with no further explanation required, I give you this sumptuous desert.

• 1 cube good butter
• 1 ½ cups Brown Sugar
• 1 can Pineapple Rings
• 1 Yellow Butter-Cake Mix
• 1 cup granola pieces (or broken walnuts)
• 1 small jar Maraschino Cherries
• 3 large Eggs
• ½ cup Cooking Oil
Preheat the oven to 350' F. Melt the butter and pour into a 9 X 13 cake-pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar to completely cover the pan bottom (should be about ¼ inch thick). Place the Pineapple rings to cover the pan bottom without overlapping. Cut the cherries in half and distribute in the patches not covered by pineapple. Sprinkle the granola chunks evenly over the pineapple and cherries.
Mix up the cake mix according to package directions and gently spoon into the pan so as not to disturb the fruit and nuts. Bake at 350’ F’ for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake center comes out clean when removed. When done, grab some hot-pads and remove the cake from the oven. Immediately run a knife around the cake edges. Turn onto a suitable serving tray by pressing the tray on top of the cake, then inverting everything. Carefully lift off the cake pan. Let cool and serve.

Finally, We will make our ranch dressing to go with your relish tray. It’s easy. And I’ve made a few tweaks to the original, just to add a little something extra.

Ingredients:
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup Greek yogurt
3 tsp. Fresh chives, chopped fine
½ tsp. dried Dill
½ tsp. dried Parsley
½ tsp. Garlic Powder
½ tsp. Onion Powder
¼ tsp, Salt
⅛ tsp, pepper
¾ cup Buttermilk
½ tsp. Sriracha Sauce, or ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

Place buttermilk, then mayo into a medium glass, ceramic, or stainless steel bowl. Add the remaining ingredients. Whisk together until smooth and creamy. Chill until served.

The ranch dressing, salads, and cake can be made a day or two before the meal.

Enjoy.

May your hot things be served hot, your cold things be served cold, and your Colby be served at room temperature;

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, I'm curious. You are using a rack of ribs, I thought Crown Roast was made with a rack of loin. In other words the main chop meat is still attached. So why do you use ribs?

A personal attempt found I could not circle the loin and was a disaster. Of course, I've now discovered the main meat protrudes below the crown of ribs. Somehow that never shows distinctly in pictures, hence my confusion.

Then I saw your recipe and thought... HOLY Cow! don't use loin use rack of ribs only! Can't wait to try this - although I still have the other crown firmly on my bucket list. I imagine the hole for stuffing will be a lot larger than the one with the loin.
Which was another bit of confusion when I did do the rolled loin - there was hardly any room for the stuffing, the best part!

Chief, I'm curious. You are using a rack of ribs, I thought Crown Roast was made with a rack of loin. In other words the main chop meat is still attached. So why do you use ribs?

A personal attempt found I could not circle the loin and was a disaster. Of course, I've now discovered the main meat protrudes below the crown of ribs. Somehow that never shows distinctly in pictures, hence my confusion.

Then I saw your recipe and thought... HOLY Cow! don't use loin use rack of ribs only! Can't wait to try this - although I still have the other crown firmly on my bucket list. I imagine the hole for stuffing will be a lot larger than the one with the loin.
Which was another bit of confusion when I did do the rolled loin - there was hardly any room for the stuffing, the best part!

I think you must have missed this part of the Chief's long post, "This roast is made from the pork loin with the ribs attached."

Guess I just focused on his phrase " Rack of Ribs Ribs "
Even looking on his blog post it was hard to see the thick meat on the slab.

Most other blogs show the meat bulging at the bottom when rolled and I could not see it on his. My mistake!

Guess I just focused on his phrase " Rack of Ribs Ribs "
Even looking on his blog post it was hard to see the thick meat on the slab.

Most other blogs show the meat bulging at the bottom when rolled and I could not see it on his. My mistake!

Same here. I read that sentence a couple of times, 'cause it surprised me. I still can't see the loin.

Yes, it is made from the loin with the ribs attached. The ribs are frenched, and the chine bones are removed. Have your butcher do that, and give you the meat that was removed, and the chine bones.

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom