POLL: Tea in the Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you heat up tea/boil water with a microwave?

• every day

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • sometimes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • once

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • never

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Squidward

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

Do you use a microwave to boil water/heat up tea?

Personally, I do not taste much of a difference.

I use the cup/beverage setting on my MW with the tea bag in the water as it heats. I use Stash Earl Grey (no staples) and it is fine.

We make tea in a large teapot. We drink it out of fairly large mugs, so by the time we want a second cup, the tea has cooled off. At that point, we pour another cuppa and microwave that.

I voted never because I rarely drink tea. However, if you boil water in the MW vs. a kettle on the stove, I see no difference. When water boils, it's at 212ºF regardless of the source of the heat.

I voted never because I rarely drink tea. However, if you boil water in the MW vs. a kettle on the stove, I see no difference. When water boils, it's at 212ºF regardless of the source of the heat.

I, totally agree with that.
That said, Jeannie drinks tea quite often and she always boils the water on the stove top. She say's that "she" can taste a difference when microwaved. She won't even use our single serve coffee maker for tea water.
I don't know because I seldom drink tea.

Disclaimer: We are 80+ and do/taste many things differently than when we were younger. :ermm:;):)

Ross

Most of my tea I drink iced, and I have a very large kettle (4½ qt) that I boil the water in for that. However, for the times I have hot tea, I usually use the MW, since it is quick, for small amounts, but I always use a pyrex cup, and pour the tea into a cup, since cups can get extremely hot. Also, not all tea is best in boiling water - only black tea. Oolong (my favorites) is better in about 190°, white teas, a little cooler, at 180°, and green teas even cooler, around 160°. I also remember some herbal teas have better flavor with lower temps, but I don't do those - if no caffeine, why bother?:LOL:

I do boil water in the microwave sometimes, but not for tea.

...Jeannie drinks tea quite often and she always boils the water on the stove top. She say's that "she" can taste a difference when microwaved. She won't even use our single serve coffee maker for tea water...
Jeannie is my soul sister. I'm a purist when it comes to brewing tea. I start with cold, fresh water each time. I brew just one cup. Except for the first cup of the day, I use loose tea. First Cup is Red Rose in bags, because I'm fumble fingers until I limber my fingers by hugging my cup.

Here is a scientific sounding article from Slate that explains why Jeannie and I are right in making tea with stovetop boiled water:

Food Explainer: Why Does Microwaving Water Result in Such Lousy Tea?

Last edited:
A few years back, I attended a coffee and tea festival ( My wife loves coffee, and I enjoy tea). We figured it would be a fun experience, since we are often looking for fun/ unique things to do. It was basically like a food festival set up, just with ( you guessed it) Coffee and tea tasting, samples, lectures, exhibitors... It was interesting too see some the ' tea purists' showing you the proper way to brew it, hold the mug, sip it ... For me personally, it was over the top. Im personally a 'does it taste good, or not' kind of a guy. But watching other people get so into it, and go through their motions made for a good people watching experience ( not making fun of them, or mocking their love for the beverages, just interesting seeing people making something that appears so simple into such a process).

We also attended a lecture on a woman who owns a tea farm in California. I did purchase a tea plant ( forgot what kind). It never flourished , and I read you need like 80 + leaves to to be able to make 1 cup of tea , and thats about all the leaves the plant had on it.

http://coffeeandteafestival.com

A few years ago, we visited Celestial Seasonings Factory outside of Boulder Co. and took the tour. Prior to the tour, as you are waiting in the lobby, you can sample like 80 + teas ( hot and cold). Then they bring you through the factory and of course, wind up in the gift shop at the end. One specific thing I remembered is that they keep all the Mint teas in one room, separated from the others, due to the intense odor of the mints would affect the other teas if kept in the same room).

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/visit-us

In the future, when I can safely road trip again, we want to visit the Charleston Tea Garden in South Carolina. Its owned/ affiliated with The Bigelow Tea Co. After having seen the Celestial Seasonings layout of harvested and dried teas, it will be interesting to see the actual growing process to complete the tea experience. They theoretically take you on a tour of the gardens/ tea plants along with educating you on the journey from planting the tea plant to processing and drying. I love that stuff. Im a sucker for behind the scenes factory - like tours.

https://charlestonteagarden.com

Last edited:
Here is a scientific sounding article from Slate that explains why Jeannie and I are right in making tea with stovetop boiled water:

Thank you for the link. I've saved it for Jeannie to read. She tried to explain the difference between micro and stove top boiling taste and this article tells it, confirming her thoughts on the matter. :)

Ross

I drink a lot of tea now. I will use my kettle or the hot water tap on my water tower. The Keurig only heats the water to 192 degrees so I don't use that.

For me, there is no reason to use the microwave as it is no faster than my kettle. At least not to get the water to the temperature I like.

I may not be right, but I feel like when you use the kettle the water stays hotter than if you use a microwave.

Jeannie is my soul sister. I'm a purist when it comes to brewing tea. I start with cold, fresh water each time. I brew just one cup. Except for the first cup of the day, I use loose tea. First Cup is Red Rose in bags, because I'm fumble fingers until I limber my fingers by hugging my cup.

Aw, jeez. Now my OCD will be kicking in every time I make tea.

Is it 212 or 205 or 140 or 143. Is that a slight hint of taste or is that hint missing, should it be more prominent or less prominent. Too much tannin, not enough..

Maybe I'll just drink Mt. Dew. It's easier.

Aw, jeez. Now my OCD will be kicking in every time I make tea.

Is it 212 or 205 or 140 or 143. Is that a slight hint of taste or is that hint missing, should it be more prominent or less prominent. Too much tannin, not enough..

Maybe I'll just drink Mt. Dew. It's easier.
To which mountain dew are you referring?:LOL::wacko:

Back
Top Bottom