Poking holes in your meat before marinating (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepfryerdan

Senior Cook
Do you guys ever poke your chicken breasts before marinading? I've been marinading two breasts for about 2 days (just because I didn't have time to make them last night) and just thought about my Jaccard. I think I've used it once for a cube steak and I need to use it otherwise I'm breaking my 6 month rule. :mrgreen:

I occasionally use a jaccard tool on meats when marinating. Usually for tougher cuts like flank steak.

You should have an interesting texture with the chicken breasts marinating for two days.

The chicken was good. When I marinade chicken breasts it's usually because they need to thaw. I throw them in a freezer bag with whatever I'm marinading them with for 24 hours in the refrigerator and that's about it. I think the actual marinade time is cut down significantly because the meat is frozen for the first 16 hours of the time.

I recently caught an episode of America's Test Kitchen. They scored the chicken (about 1/8" deep about 1" apart, about 1/2" long) and then worked the rub into the chicken. I can't imagine why this wouldn't help (scoring the chicken) before marinading it. The ATK folks gave brining chicken a thumbs' down when making Tandoori chicken.

I occasionally use a jaccard tool on meats

Exactly, but even them , a lot of those cuts come pre-treated. Skirt, flank, pectoral, and even most cuts of sirloins get needled.

For something as simple as chicken, I don't see the point. For breasts, there is no connective tissue to really break up, and the chicken would get mushy as hell.

Exactly, but even them , a lot of those cuts come pre-treated. Skirt, flank, pectoral, and even most cuts of sirloins get needled.

For something as simple as chicken, I don't see the point. For breasts, there is no connective tissue to really break up, and the chicken would get mushy as hell.

hmm, tatt, you've got me thinking.

chicken breasts and veal cutlets that are pounded to make them more of even thickness also seem to be more tender. i'd always thought it was a similar principle as a jaccard, breaking down the meat in a way.

whaddya think?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom