Please share your pretties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jade Emperor

Sous Chef
I would love to see those things that you love in your home. Not so much general cooking utensils but can be.
Those little (or big) things that just make you happy when you see them or use them or cook with them.
Examples might be plates or bowls, or platters or serving ware or anything really. Just things that make you happy.
Please share!

Roses.jpg
Since moving to Texas, I discovered Talavera pottery--the platter on the left. We have vases, bowls, and covered casseroles in Talavera. I love it, and it always makes me smile!
When Maxmilian was emperor of Mexico, he brought in Italian potters to teach decoration and help the economy of Mexico. The Mexicans put their own spin on things, and Talavera developed. There are different patterns, and avid collectors of Talavera.

I adore all of these!
@Marlingardener - are these platters expensive? I have never come across them but that one is gorgeous.

@Aunt Bea - any chance of a close up photo of the little jug on the bottom shelf? It looks like the sort of stuff that I collect.

@medtran49 - those pieces are so very pretty and I would love any of them!

I at one time used to manage an op-shop (thrift store) and saw some very beautiful pieces come through - not all of them were hugely valuable but some were definitely very pretty. I will post pics of my favourites shortly. Thanks for sharing with me!

@Aunt Bea - any chance of a close up photo of the little jug on the bottom shelf? It looks like the sort of stuff that I collect.

The white ironstone milk jug in the wheat pattern is Arthur Wood England.
IMG_0250.jpeg
The stoneware tulip jug is unmarked. My mother used it in the summer for lemonade or iced tea when we ate in the yard. The lip of the jug is rough and tends to drip. My mother’s solution was to grease the lip with a dab of soft butter.
IMG_0251.jpeg
The things I have are special to me because of the memories associated with them, when I die it will just be stuff to be disposed of.

Jade, talavera is not expensive, especially if you buy it in Mexico. When we would visit Nuevo Laredo, I'd come back with two or more pieces of talavera, and never spent more than five or six dollars each. It was also available in San Antonio, but at three times the price.

I remember decades ago, a friend of mine brought me back a large jug with a cup on top from Mexico and she practically had to bribe the border guard to let her come through with it. Apparently, they smash the cups so no one can drink out of them because so much of their pottery is made with lead. Is that still the case?

Rodentraiser, Mexican pottery no longer contains lead. In fact, since so much is made for export or the tourist trade, it even says "lead free" on the bottom.
We have one of those water jugs also. We bought it about 15 years ago and it is lead free.
Aunt Bea, the white jug looks like Queen's Ware, from England, and highly collectible. The name derives from an order Queen Charlotte placed with Wedgwood for a complete tea set. Making a flawless cream colored earthenware was very difficult, but Wedgwood did it. King George was so impressed with his wife's tea set, he ordered one for himself.

Aunt Bea, the white jug looks like Queen's Ware, from England, and highly collectible. The name derives from an order Queen Charlotte placed with Wedgwood for a complete tea set. Making a flawless cream colored earthenware was very difficult, but Wedgwood did it. King George was so impressed with his wife's tea set, he ordered one for himself.
I’m familiar with Queen’s Ware but I had never heard that interesting story, Thanks!

Here is another bit of trivia, The Queen’s Hands. It is widely believed that Queen Victoria’s hands were the inspiration for this often reproduced dish.

I found this early ironstone version in the Salvation Army thrift shop years ago.

IMG_0256.jpeg
IMG_0257.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom