Pizza dough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah i'm not experienced with this
By weight do u mean grams etc...
and is pre heating a requirement? if so how long do i leave the pizza in the oven if it is pre heated
Please do give any kind of advice that i haven't asked yet
Pre-heating for baking is always required. Do you mean how long do you leave the pizza stone in the oven? Make sure it's in the oven when you turn it on; it will probably break if you put a cold stone in a hot oven. Mine lives in the oven most of the time.

I'll let dcSaute answer your other questions.

the basics:

for a crisp pizza crust

the oven must be preheated - 450'F/235'C
using a stone, I preheat one hour
a pizza stone is highly recommended; some people use a steel plate.
there are also perforated plates, etc - I have no experience with them.

weighing ingredients is essential for consistent results
take notes - make adjustments
why?

- because all flour is not flour. not only higher/lower protein, but the type of wheat and the grind does affect how the dough will hydrate.
- basically even with a scale you will likely need to adjust anyone else's recipe to your flour(s)
- stick with one flour brand
- I don't like to use store brands because they change every quarter based on who will supply their no-name flour at least cost.
- baking should take 10-14 minutes.

this recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver
165 grams King Arthur Bread Flour (the Brits call it "strong flour")
115 grams Bob's Red Mill semolina
1 teaspoon 5 ml dry active yeast
1 teaspoon 5 ml kosher salt
blend the dry ingredients together
add 148 grams water
(optional add 30 ml olive oil - for a softer crust)

knead for 15 minutes to develop gluten
allow to rise 1-2 hours, until doubled

to adjust the recipe, keep the flour the same, increase/decrease water amount to get an elastic dough. go in increments of 15 ml/grams of water. it seldom takes much to make the difference.

after it's baked, do not accidentally 'ruin' a crisp crust by letting it sit on a solid surface. let it cool on a rack - this allows moisture from the still hot baking crust to escape . . .

IMG_0477s.jpg

There are all kinds of pizza cheats. Using a skillet, try a large tortilla as the crust and add toppings to that.

Attachments

• B7FC715E-7911-4B09-8BC7-FA26063C63E7_1_105_c.jpg
    B7FC715E-7911-4B09-8BC7-FA26063C63E7_1_105_c.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 101
if the object is quick&cheat, just stop by any pizza shop you happen to meet.
they will deliver - but that takes longer.

Man you guys are serious doughers.

I keep it easy lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K2RB1KcNtAM&t=14s

Jamie Oliver little cheater dough. So simple easy and not bad lol. When friends or my sisters kids come over it’s a fun dinner

Thank you for the link. I think I will try that. I'll have to make my own self-rising dough though, because I use whole grain flour.

I love that I can use my own ingredients. Most pizza places use tomatoes or pizza sauce that comes out of a can and those cans are lined with BPA or something similar, so I am not supposed to eat that. And, I prefer a whole grain crust to flour that doesn't have the bran and wheat germ.

FWIW, if you are using a pizza stone, or going to get one, get both a wooden and metal pizza peel. Here's why: if setting up the pizza on a metal peel, they tend to stick, since you don't want a large amount of cornmeal, semolina, or other mealy grain on the crust of pizza - wood is much better for releasing the pizza onto the stone. But the metal is better for getting the pizza off the stone, esp. in the beginning, as they may stick to the stone, at first.

Their is a very populare pizza place in Michigan called B.C, Pizza. I was asked by a friend to duplicate their sauce, as it is well liked. It is simply crushed tomato with garlic, lots of oregano, and some basil and onion. The main flavor is oregano, with the other flavors adding depth and character to the sauce. The way they make their sauce is to take the cold crushed tomato, add the herbs and spices, and onion and garlic, and put it the the refrigerator over night. No cooking is done until the crust is sauced, and the veggies and cheeses are added. The sauce has already absorbed all of the herb and spice flavors from sitting in the refer overnight. Of course you can make your sauce with whatever you like for flavor, adding crushed red pepper, and minced bell pepper if you want. Yout could even add grated Parmesano-Regiano, or Asiago, or Pecorino-Romano cheese to the sauce.

Just as with a good marinara, as the sauce sits, the flavors migrate though the sauce, blending into something better than any one flavor could provide.

Oh, and for max flavor, if you place your herbs into a pan with a little Extra-Virgin olive oil, and heat until fragrant, this will release more flavor into the oil, as some of the herbal flavors are fat soluble. Then, add the oil with the herbs and spices into the crushed tomato. Stir, and let sit in the cooler overnight.

one more idea: a ilttle wine will bring out even more flavor. Me, I don't like anything flavored with alcohol, so I wouldn't do that. But if yo like to add wine to your tomato-based sauces, it should work with pizza sauce, and so does black pepper.

I know, this is a bit off topic. But it's a good thing to know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I like a minimal processed approach, left chunky.
freeze in quart bags which is good for one pizza.

this is my pizza sauce, tomatoes & peppers from the garden,,,
DSC_1876s.jpg

DSC_1889s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom