Pineapple Upside Down Carrot Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This cake combines two classics, carrot cake, so rich and flavorful, with cream cheese frosting, and pineapple upside down cake. It is a fusion made to bring smiles to all who partake of it. It is a two layer cake, with the bottom being the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. The pineapple,upsie down cake is then inverted onto the lower cake so that you have the frosting in between cake layers.

Here's the recipe.
Ingredients:Mary’s Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (my MIL)

I didn’t create this recipe. It was given to me by my Mother-in-Law, the woman, who with my wife, taught me some pretty important basics some forty years past. The cake is a wondrous thing. So with no further explanation required, I give you this sumptuous desert.

Ingredients:
1 cube Margarine
1 ½ cups Brown Sugar
1 can Pineapple Rings
1/2 carrot cake batter (the original recipe used a yellow cake mix)
1 cup Pecan Halves
1 small jar Maraschino Cherries
3 large Eggs
½ cup Cooking Oil

Favorite Carrot Cake

This recipe is doubled to make 2 9 X12 cakes.

I modified my carrot cake recipe to reduce the fat and increase the flavor. It came out very good, medium light, moist and yummy. And so I share.

Dry Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
4 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg

Wet Ingredients:
1 1.2 cup oil
8 large eggs
1 cup water
2 tbs. dark molasses
1/4 cup pineapple juice

Fruit & Nut Ingredients:
4 cups finely shredded carrots (aout seven carrots)
2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 355 F.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a balloon whisk. Put the raisins into a microwave safe bow and cover with tap water. Heat for two minutes on high and let them sit.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil with a whisk until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drain the raisins. Fold the fruits and nuts into the batter. Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 9X12 inch cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a clean butter knife by inserting the knife into the middle of the cake, to the pan bottom. If its clean when you pull it out, the cake is done. If not, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and retest.

Frost with cream cheese frosting. Please use homemade as the store bought stuff doesn't compare.

Home made cream cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Cake Icing

Ingredients:
3 cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbs. water
½ cup sweet-cream, unsalted Butter
16 oz. Cream Cheese

Melt butter. Add the cream cheese and stir with wire whisk, or beat with electric beater until well combined and smooth. Combine the water and powdered sugar. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Slowly Mix the powdered sugar into the cheese mixture until all is silky smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

This frosting is easily spread at room temperature. Its rich flavor compliments spice and carrot cakes, and can be used to fill puff pastry, bismarks, or Danish pastry. Personally, I like it chilled on whatever it’s put on. The texture is great either way. Enjoy.

For the pineapple upside down cake:
Preheat the oven to 350’ F.

Melt the butter and pour into a 9 X 13 cake-pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar to completely cover the pan bottom (should be about ¼” thick). Place the Pineapple rings to cover the pan bottom without overlapping. Cut the cherries in half and distribute in the patches not covered by pineapple, and in the center of the pineapple rings. Sprinkle the pecans evenly over the pineapple and cherries.

Gently spoon the remaining cake batter into the pan so as not to disturb the fruit and nuts. Place both pans into the preheated oven and bake fir 45 minutes. Test by inserting a clean butter knife into the center. If it comes out clean when removed, the cake is done.

When done, grab some hot-pads and remove the cakes from the oven. Place the bottom layer onto a foil-lined cardboard rectangle. Spread cream cheese frosting on the top an let cool.

Immediately run a knife around the pineapple upside down cake, edges. Turn onto the bottom cake. Carefully lift off the cake pan. Let cool and serve.

I hope this all makes sense. It tastes wonderful with the carrot cake flavor perfectly complimenting the pineapple upside down cake. And the cream cheese frosting just works,:D

Seeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom