Pineapple Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol. my thoughts exactly.

what happened while i was away? who took away the sillines and the fun?

i'm dyin' here.

Last edited:
I was as careful as I could be, guys and gals, calling them chicken breasts...chicken breasts, ok?..hah.
KFC and El Pollo Loco no doubt can specify what size their chicken breasts are as part of their contract with the chicken growers.
Not so as a shopper. The bone in split chicken breasts I saw at Albertsons are way too big to make with this recipe, IMO.

I'll shop for smaller sized ones.

Last edited:
Just a follow up on the Hawaiian Chicken. I'll definitely use chicken breasts next time. The skin (fat) and bones just seem to have more flavor than boneless skinless chicken. Also, the recipe called for draining the juices of a 15 oz. pineapple can and then adding water to make 1 1/4 cups. Next time I'll only fill it up to maybe 3/4 a cup total so that the sauce is thicker. It was a bit runny and drained thru the rice on my plate. Also, I'll cut up 2 green peppers instead of one because I like cut green peppers with this dish. Other than that it came out pretty good. I'll try this recipe again when I can get smaller regular sized chicken breasts.

Just a follow up on the Hawaiian Chicken. I'll definitely use chicken breasts next time. The skin (fat) and bones just seem to have more flavor than boneless skinless chicken. Also, the recipe called for draining the juices of a 15 oz. pineapple can and then adding water to make 1 1/4 cups. Next time I'll only fill it up to maybe 3/4 a cup total so that the sauce is thicker. It was a bit runny and drained thru the rice on my plate. Also, I'll cut up 2 green peppers instead of one because I like cut green peppers with this dish. Other than that it came out pretty good. I'll try this recipe again when I can get smaller regular sized chicken breasts.

Good luck with that. Farmers are now using implants on their chickens. I bought just one chicken breast for The Pirate. He got two meals out of it. :angel:

Caslon,
could always add another tablespoon of cornstarch, what happened I think you when cooking - the pineapple and chicken release more juice then expected.
You could drain the juice from the dish into a sauce pan and add lil more cornstarch mixed with lil water (a slurry) and heat it up again will tighten it up again.
I had that happen when I made it with some large wings.

Caslon,
could always add another tablespoon of cornstarch, what happened I think you when cooking - the pineapple and chicken release more juice then expected.
You could drain the juice from the dish into a sauce pan and add lil more cornstarch mixed with lil water (a slurry) and heat it up again will tighten it up again.
I had that happen when I made it with some large wings.

Excellent suggestion :angel:

Just a suggestion: When I make sweet and sour chicken or pork, or just about anything with green bell peppers, I like to use red and/or yellow peppers, too. They're sweeter and make the dish more colorful and nutritious (they have different nutrients than the green ones). Love sweet and sour dishes :)

I just roasted a couple the other day. They were quite tasty! ;) It's funny that if you buy a whole chicken, the breasts aren't that big.

I want to see a chicken with those large breasts walk around the yard. They must be taking a lot of face falls. :angel:

That looks tasty good. I don't have a dutch oven like you so I've been Googling how to make it using a large cast iron skillet instead. I found some recipes that I'll be trying soon. I wonder how I can add some sourness to make it sweet and sour chicken using the pineapple? Maybe I should look up that recipe separately.
What about vinegar for the sourness? Mum used to have a recipe for sweet and sour pork that had pineapple and vinegar among the ingredients. I think she may have used either malt vinegar or cider vinegar but I would think any vinegar would do (except that white vinegar they sell for cleaning:LOL:)

;) Breast Implants? Have you seen the size of the chicken breasts that are now in the markets?
I read recently that American farmers are allowed to use hormones to "encourage" growth in meat animals and to increase yield with milking cows. Perhaps that's the cause of the giant chickens.

I had a turkey drumstick not long ago that I had to break with my kitchen cleaver in order to get it into the slow cooker (which is a large one). It fed me two meals and a plate of sandwiches. I wouldn't like to meet the turkey it belonged to in a dark alley. Goodness only knows how tall it was!

I read recently that American farmers are allowed to use hormones to "encourage" growth in meat animals and to increase yield with milking cows. Perhaps that's the cause of the giant chickens.

I had a turkey drumstick not long ago that I had to break with my kitchen cleaver in order to get it into the slow cooker (which is a large one). It fed me two meals and a plate of sandwiches. I wouldn't like to meet the turkey it belonged to in a dark alley. Goodness only knows how tall it was!

In the US, it's illegal to use hormones and steroids in chicken and turkey.

I wouldn't use anything but thighs for this recipe myself.

That's my plan B if I can't hunt down any reasonably sized bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. So far no luck. It's as if you have to find a source that grows chickens a bit smaller in the first place. You know who has that ability? KFC, El Pollo Loco, Church's Fried Chicken.

It's so unfair.

I don't really care for boneless skinless chicken breasts. If you get them grown by less famous companies, they practically have the no taste and texture of what I imagine raw whale blubber has.

Last edited:
caslon, do you have an asian, middle eastern, or hispanic market nearby?

i've found the meats in "ethnic" markets are more reasonable in size and have a fat content more like years ago.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom