Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a saying "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It irritates the pig and wastes your time".
Well, I wasted my time yesterday. An acquaintance, in her 30's and has never cooked (living on frozen meals) decided food prices were so high that she wanted to cook. She asked me to teach her.
Stupid me, I agreed! After asking her what she liked to eat, I chose a simple recipe and we started out. First, she didn't want to touch raw meat. She had to learn the difference between simmer and full boil. Then, after a half hour in the kitchen, she was tired and wanted to stop.
I told her to find cheaper frozen meals, Cooking was not her forte. Thawing was. I was so irritated!!!

I also had a UTI prior to the outbreak. So, I'm wondering if my compromised immune system allowed the shingles to come out.
I believe that is true.
https://schoolafm.com/ws_clinical_know/shingles/
I like the functional medicine theories. I'm always striving to keep inflammation low to non-existent and I avoid anti-biotics unless there is no other choice. My immune system does a pretty good job at keeping viruses at bay.

There's a saying "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It irritates the pig and wastes your time".
Well, I wasted my time yesterday. An acquaintance, in her 30's and has never cooked (living on frozen meals) decided food prices were so high that she wanted to cook. She asked me to teach her.
Stupid me, I agreed! After asking her what she liked to eat, I chose a simple recipe and we started out. First, she didn't want to touch raw meat. She had to learn the difference between simmer and full boil. Then, after a half hour in the kitchen, she was tired and wanted to stop.
I told her to find cheaper frozen meals, Cooking was not her forte. Thawing was. I was so irritated!!!
Best to start slow! 😉

1679171479820.jpeg

Bit it seems now with this new derma gal, who's a NP, she's a bit leery of it. She recommended that I do alot of research on my own to find out what exactly is in the vaccine first, she said that nowadays they put kinds of other things into it. :oops: @GinnyPNW I didn't get Chicken Pox until I was about 30 years old.
Just curious. Does this NP think that you are better able to evaluate the results of vaccine research published in scientific journals than the experts at the FDA who approved it? Or the thousands of doctors who recommend it?

Once you find out what's in the vaccine, then what? If it contains some chemical that you're not familiar with or that you associate with something bad (like, say, formaldehyde), what do you do with that information? Does it tell you anything about the safety of the vaccine?

I would take her statement as a big red flag. components of blood-scary meme.jpg

That ungrateful acquaintance needs to stay in her own lane. The frozen food section! :(
Did she even say thank you?
I hope you left her with the reality mess of yep, you have clean up afterwards duties to deal with. It's part of the territory.
Sorry that she took advantage of your generosity and time.

That was a major task you undertook, @Marlingardener! Too bad it was a hopeless task. I've known a few like that in the past, but there a number of friends I not only got hooked on cooking, but a few of them on growing the food, too!

That makes me think of a lot of those old cookbooks I used to see at those book sales at college, where I started collecting cookbooks (they used to come on some weekends with 5-6 semis, with the books, and tables!). I was trying to learn how to cook from scratch (and they had a co-op, to get a lot of cheap ingredients!), to save money, but I had to look at them closely, because some of them had countless recipes calling for canned soups, boxed cake mixes, and any prepared foods they could think of using! I'd always flip through the soup chapters first, to see if they were using canned soups, and put it back if I saw any. No telling what they start with these days.

I've got Shingles, yet again, DAMN IT ALL!!!
:furious:
It seems to have just "popped up" today and the good thing is, I have an appointment this morning with our Dermatologist.
Okay, so this the anti-viral I was given:
IMG_2731.JPG
It's like a horse pill!:oops:
I have to take this twice a day for 7 days - it's a struggle to get it down let me tell you! Ya see the big "F" on it? You know what that's about!!!

...because some of them had countless recipes calling for canned soups, boxed cake mixes, and any prepared foods they could think of using! I'd always flip through the soup chapters first, to see if they were using canned soups, and put it back if I saw any. No telling what they start with these days.
Actually, sometimes it IS better to start with canned or boxed. For a rank beginner as she seems to be, having success with making brownies from a box might just be enough to get her over the "OMG will this prepping never end?"
An easy casserole with some rotisserie chicken/pasta/vegies all splotched together with a can of soup - may be a Gourmet accomplishment for one (such as her).

However, she rather sounds like she couldn't even put a spaghetti dinner. Cook the pasta, open jar of sauce, open bag of salad, open jar of dressing, reheat garlic bread in oven. LOL

I can't think of a reason why any tablet couldn't be cut in half. I do that for at least three of my meds.
Some tablets have coatings on them so that they dissolve in the correct place and/or time in the digestive tract. You cannot assume that you can cut a tablet in half. Ask your pharmacist if it's okay before cutting. They might even cut them for you as they probably have a cutter.

Last edited:
@Cooking Goddess I never thought of that, but I did look that up and yes that is one only a few meds that can be cut.
@medtran49 when both DH & I had Covid last year, both of our PCP's said just isolate, rest and drink plenty of fluids but no meds.
I was looking the lines in the middle of that pill. I wonder if you can just break it in half. I have some potassium pills that are horse tablets, but they have a line down the middle and I break them in half with my fingers.

Some tablets have coatings on them so that they dissolve in the correct place and/or time in the digestive tract. You cannot assume that you can cut a tablet in half. Ask your pharmacist if it's okay before cutting. They might even cut them for you as they probably have a cutter.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom