Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about a couple of well placed very bright spot lights with wire mesh covers to prevent bulb breakage aimed to illuminate your backyard and beyond to start.

Failing that, multiple nightly anonymous calls to the police at night about scary activity back there until the PD gets tired of them and forces the shopping center to install security lights.
Bright lights would encourage the showboating - maybe a mid-Atlantic's Got Talent. Minimally, we might add minibike races to the drug market mix. Gambling could be entertaining. :LOL: As for the police, they would direct traffic to the new races as they PARK at the parking lot entrances.

Anonymous? No way! I always give my name and will call when it is out of hand letting the police know that I am a willing witness if an arrest occurs. However, I was once told that, if it is not life and death, the issue was not a priority. Basically, you need an appointment to get the cops involved if not life and death. I have security cameras all over. I simply send them video when it affects me and mine. The police seem to appreciate that.
LI understand, we have similar issues in my neighborhood.

“It’s another world at night…”
- Jackson Browne
Same planet, different world between night and day. Oddly, we do feel safe here as the yard is used as a cut through without the tree but it does not invite loitering.
Decking screws drilled straight through the fence. Or you could be nice, unlike me and go halfsies pointy side facing out is a great deterrent. Cheaper than a security system. Just hear someone yowling and you'll know it worked. Adoptable yappy dogs are also a great deterrent from jumpers. They can be on that fence in 5 seconds ;) We can't. LOL!!
Just sayin' ;)

Munky.
Oh, I love our security system. I like catching animals playing in the yard, birds in the birdbath and feeder, and this one guy who realized he was being filmed as he tried to break into the shed. Definitely entertaining. ;) I think Pyrocanthra will work well. Plus, it is pretty and I can make jelly from the berries.

Here is a picture of my big tree taken a few years back. The limbs had grown to tumble over the wall so it was not easily accessible.

backyard 2.jpg

Last edited:
Bright lights would encourage the showboating - maybe a mid-Atlantic's Got Talent. Minimally, we might add minibike races to the drug market mix. Gambling could be entertaining. :LOL: As for the police, they would direct traffic to the new races as they PARK at the parking lot entrances.

Anonymous? No way! I always give my name and will call when it is out of hand letting the police know that I am a willing witness if an arrest occurs. However, I was once told that, if it is not life and death, the issue was not a priority. Basically, you need an appointment to get the cops involved if not life and death. I have security cameras all over. I simply send them video when it affects me and mine. The police seem to appreciate that.

Same planet, different world between night and day. Oddly, we do feel safe here as the yard is used as a cut through without the tree but it does not invite loitering.

Oh, I love our security system. I like catching animals playing in the yard, birds in the birdbath and feeder, and this one guy who realized he was being filmed as he tried to break into the shed. Definitely entertaining. ;) I think Pyrocanthra will work well. Plus, it is pretty and I can make jelly from the berries.
Jelly can be made with body parts too.LOL!! :)
I'm just being flip. The wood screws did work well for me where I used to live.Kept people off my fence. They weren't cheap to replace.

That is too true! :LOL:

Screws might work, but I want a bit of camouflage too. The backyard was more park-like with my tree (picture above in previous post. So it needs work. I will miss the shade as well.

What a fantasticall gorgeous tree! I would still be crying every time I looked outside.
I do still tear up. It was huge. The trunk was four feet across one way and almost so in the other. However, there was rot running right through the center. But I loved it and the shade, and the privacy. There really is no way to replace it - at least not in my lifetime. So....a different plan.

I do still tear up. It was huge. The trunk was four feet across one way and almost so in the other. However, there was rot running right through the center. But I loved it and the shade, and the privacy. There really is no way to replace it - at least not in my lifetime. So....a different plan.
I hear ya. In the house I grew up in, my parents had a huge oak tree. My dad planted it when we were little and we watched it grow too 30-40 ft. As adults, every time we visited during the warmer months, that's the tree we would set up the tables and chairs to sit on/ around to eat and socialize. My parents eventually had to move, and I was kinda upset that the house I grew up in, was soon not going to be available for me to visit. About a month before they were to move out, a hurricane came through and knocked that tree over. Once that tree was gone, the house just didn't feel the same anymore. I still would love to have the house in the family, but with out the tree, it just didnt have the same feel.

@Kathleen, I feel bad for you and Frank losing that nice shade tree. Every one of the three houses we've had built have faced east and have had heavily wooded back yards. Now that we're looking to move back home, any available lot in an area we would move to is old farm land. Flat, mostly, and bare. I'm fine with flat, but the no-tree thing makes me sad.

I've got Shingles, yet again, DAMN IT ALL!!!
:furious:
It seems to have just "popped up" today and the good thing is, I have an appointment this morning with our Dermatologist.
I woke up with it February 27th in a line between my arm pit to clevage area. I thought it was an allergic reaction to something because I have a lot of contact, insect bite and medication allergies so I treated it that way with a topical drying, anti itch liquid, cold compresses and Benadryl. But, it never got better, though it never got worse either over several days so I called my doc. Mine just felt like extremely, extremely irritated skin at the worst. Too late for anti virals so he gave me gabapentin to help with what pain I was having and to help me sleep at night, since it was really bothering me then. It's drying up and most of redness is gone. Guess I got lucky and had a very mild episode.

K-Girl and Medtran, sorry to hear this is happening. Had either of you gotten the shingles vaccine? Curious if you got the shots and still got shingles.

@medtran49 my last go around was absolutely horrible!
DH thought it was some kind of an infection and insisted upon putting a bandage with Neosporin on and the Doc said that made it WORST!
I then had a secondary skin infection.
I just got back from the derm office and it seems that I have caught in the nick of time and am waiting to pick up the anti-viral drugs.
@Chef Munky I actually don't have ANY REAL M.D.'s that I see, it's only nurse practitioners, LPN and PA's that we can most see. Our insurance is in a battle royal with our only hospital within an 1 1/2 hour drive of us - the only medical center can't come to an agreement with BC/BS, which is what we have - so I'm just grateful for what we can get here in Cowboyville.
@Andy M. I have not been able to get the shingles series as the outbreaks have been back to back. The last round was just clearing up!
Bit it seems now with this new derma gal, who's a NP, she's a bit leery of it. She recommended that I do alot of research on my own to find out what exactly is in the vaccine first, she said that nowadays they put kinds of other things into it. :oops: @GinnyPNW I didn't get Chicken Pox until I was about 30 years old.

K-Girl and Medtran, sorry to hear this is happening. Had either of you gotten the shingles vaccine? Curious if you got the shots and still got shingles.
I haven't. I was hoping I could make it until I was on Medicare because it's so expensive and I will have to pay out of pocket since I have a fairly high deductible.

Craig got Shingrex after he finally healed up from his attack in July last year. You have to get 2 doses 3 to 6 months apart if I remember correctly. He got his second dose in December. So far no attacks, but he still has residual itchy/burning sensations down his arm occasionally, but  nothing like at first. He had a pretty bad case.

I also had a UTI prior to the outbreak. So, I'm wondering if my compromised immune system allowed the shingles to come out.

Back years ago when we were scuba diving, the water was hot because it was height of summer and so I wasn't wearing any protective gear. All of a sudden, I got a searing burning pain from about mid sternum, around my neck and down my back. Apparently someone in a boat had run over a moon jellyfish, ripping it into pieces and I had swam into 1 of the tentacles. You can't really see the tentacles because they are so fine and the color. The reaction from the jellyfish looked exactly like shingles, felt like it too. Fortunately, it only lasted for a few days. I didn't dive without at least a skin suit on after that.

I had gotten the old shingles vac some years ago. Even so, my PCP had been hounding me to get the Shingrix 2-shot vaccination. I figured he was really serious since he kept at it so I got the 2 shots. It didn't cost a lot with Medicare and supplemental insurance.

A friend of mine got the Shingrex and got Meningitis as a reaction to it! End up in the hospital for a few weeks. The doctors all told her that it is an extremely rare reaction. 🤷‍♀️

I had gotten the old shingles vac some years ago. Even so, my PCP had been hounding me to get the Shingrix 2-shot vaccination. I figured he was really serious since he kept at it so I got the 2 shots. It didn't cost a lot with Medicare and supplemental insurance.
I think Craig paid $10 and that was a fee for medical supplies and disposal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom