Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zhizara, I can fix that irksome browser problem for you. Download Mozilla Firefox as your browser and you will never look back. I hemmed and hawed for YEARS when GB tried to convince me, once I finally did it I gave my forehead a slap. Its far better to work with, and the add ons are fantastic! Adblocker is especially lovely. Although colorful tabs is fun too.

I meant to suggest for your little recycling issue, have you ever considered buying a bunch of little baby washcloths? Saves on lots and lots of baby wipes and the containers. (Also if your little one has sensitive skin it saves on chemicals touching their butts!) I used them exclusively unless we were travelling and I tell you, it was easy peasy. Just had a bucket in the change room for those cloths and did a special washload with them.

hired a gal to come in, clean out the fridge and put groceries away. she never showed. no phone call either. i seem to have the worst luck with cleaning people. doesn't anyone show up and on time. a phone call would have helped.

I will also strongly recommend Firefox. It's better than IE. You won't be sorry for an instant.

Zhizara, I can fix that irksome browser problem for you. Download Mozilla Firefox as your browser and you will never look back. I hemmed and hawed for YEARS when GB tried to convince me, once I finally did it I gave my forehead a slap. Its far better to work with, and the add ons are fantastic! Adblocker is especially lovely. Although colorful tabs is fun too.

I meant to suggest for your little recycling issue, have you ever considered buying a bunch of little baby washcloths? Saves on lots and lots of baby wipes and the containers. (Also if your little one has sensitive skin it saves on chemicals touching their butts!) I used them exclusively unless we were travelling and I tell you, it was easy peasy. Just had a bucket in the change room for those cloths and did a special washload with them.

Hi Alix: Thank you for your reply. I may have to try Firefox again. The problem I had when I tried Firefox before was the magnification. My eyesight is not great and when I find a website that has tiny print, I like the way I can just click on the little zoom in the bottom right corner of the screen, until I get it large enough to read.

Back then, with firefox I had to go to a menu first, then find a magnification I thought would work and click on that. If it wasn't easy enough to read I had to go through it all again. But now, with IE8 it might be the better trade off. If anyone out there has IE7 DON'T UPGRADE. You'll hate it, and guess what? You can no longer download IE7. If it says it's IE7 and you try to download it you get IE8. Grrrrrrrrr!!!!
:mad:

About the baby wipes, I'm 64 y/o. The wipes are for me.:ohmy: I prefer something damp w/no alchohol for quick and easy cleanup and aloe for moisturizing.

Anyway, I really appreciate your reply and I will try Firefox again, like right now. I'll let you know how I like it. It's been several years so I'm sure it's improved.

Last edited:
Just bought an HP laptop from the HP online store. The HP receipt lists the names of the components, features and accessories but does not list their part numbers; for example, I ordered the 9 cell battery but have no assurance that it is a MU09, HP part: WD549AA#ABB UPC: 8 84962 73415 5. To boot the machine is being shipped from Shanghai.

Last edited:
I need to demolish about 20 feet of a concrete planter along my driveway because it does not meet current code. Well, it met code 30 years ago when the house was built. We're requesting permit for a completely unrelated part of the property and unless we demolish the planter they will not proceed. WTF's wrong with these people who work for this city?

About the baby wipes, I'm 64 y/o. The wipes are for me.:ohmy: I prefer something damp w/no alchohol for quick and easy cleanup and aloe for moisturizing.

BWA HA HA HA HA! Well my goodness, you certainly sound younger than 64! ;) Jokes on me!

Hope the Firefox works out better for you this time.

I'm so glad you got a laugh out of it. So did I when I read "little one"!

I installed Firefox and I'm sure I'm going to love it. I found the easy to use zoom and it's just fine! I also added weather and reminders and Tabberwocky. I like the colorful tabs and think I got them set that they will stay the same for each site. I'm still trying to get rid of the @$##@%^^### Adobe add-on banner. I've been through their runaround for years. I already had the add ons and they get regular updates. If you already have it it will just run you around in circles. The other thing I haven't yet figured out how to tell which tab is open.

Especially when I'm running around the DC forums, I'll have several tabs open, but since Firefox shows all the close Xs I'm stumped at times.

Thank you for relieving me of that constant crashing aggravation in IE8. It was happening constantly and my blood pressure doesn't need it.

Sally

I need to demolish about 20 feet of a concrete planter along my driveway because it does not meet current code. Well, it met code 30 years ago when the house was built. We're requesting permit for a completely unrelated part of the property and unless we demolish the planter they will not proceed. WTF's wrong with these people who work for this city?

They get to charge you more for demolition and building permits. Sounds familiar!

They get to charge you more for demolition and building permits. Sounds familiar!

I thought it was all about money since the city is broke and run by an idiot mayor who has single handedly turned L.A. into a 3rd-world country.
Well, but that's not the case. All they need to see are before and after pictures of my driveway, no permit. Heck, if I know for sure they're not going to send an inspector out I'll just photoshop my driveway and get done with it.
I'm doing the demolition and clean-up.

Thank you Alix for turning me onto Firefox, you too, Andy M for the recommendation.

I found how to turn the plug in banner off. It was just the Adobe loop that never ends. I googled disable, and quoted the blurb. For anyone interested, the site that gave the instructions is:

Disable Additional Plugins are Required to Display all the Media on this Page Bar - plugindefaultplugin, Firefox, Plugins, Flash, Takes, Double - Zhacks

This was supposed to be the http:// I copied from the address bar, but it should take you there.

Last edited:
Zhizara, did you add the Adblocker yet? I LOVE that one! You don't get any more annoying ads ANYWHERE! Glad its working for you.

I thought it was all about money since the city is broke and run by an idiot mayor who has single handedly turned L.A. into a 3rd-world country.
Well, but that's not the case. All they need to see are before and after pictures of my driveway, no permit. Heck, if I know for sure they're not going to send an inspector out I'll just photoshop my driveway and get done with it.
I'm doing the demolition and clean-up.

You and I must have the same idiot Mayor. We have to get a permit just to have a yard sale. And they send the police your home. You have to have everything cleared back inside out of sight by 5pm. If the permits NOT clearly visible from the street it's a ticket. But they do nothing about the neighbors eyesore of a motor home that's blocking the city sidewalk, you can't walk on it and their cars block my driveway. That's not including the one rotting in the backyard. Ahhh California the land of aggravation..

Zhizara, did you add the Adblocker yet? I LOVE that one! You don't get any more annoying ads ANYWHERE! Glad its working for you.

I'm not sure. I spent the day yesterday playing with Firefox. I really hate bookmarks. This morning, I put IE and Firefox side by side and dragged each bookmark I made yesterday into a tab on IE and saved it to Favorites. then I organized them in my favorites, renaming and putting them into the proper folders. I just finished importing into Firefox and restarted it. Hopefully everything will be there until I have to do it again. I really need my Favorites, but I really love most of Firefox.

What I didn't like besides bookmarks is the Help. Instead of just telling me where something is when I ask for help, I get support forums that tend to run me around. The improvements to regular IE are wonderful, but room for improvement in others.

I found the AdBlocker and am getting ready to download now. Thanks. If there are any other goodies I should look for or look out for I'd appreciate more of your wonderful help. At least here I can converse with someone who uses Firefox and knows what she is talking about.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sally

Last edited:
Alix I'm really sad to say that my idea of importing my updated Favorites didn't work. It says it has, but nothing is changed. If I really have to, I guess I can always uninstall Firefox and reinstall it. It means a lot of work, but most of the day yesterday was spent running around in circles that I've learned to avoid and I did save the site that told me how to get rid of that Adobe plug in banner. This time I'll make sure to make a list of all the add ons.

I don't want to spend the entire day on it though, because after shopping yesterday, I have 3 things to make.

I'm making a Cuban for lunch, squash with shrimp for dinner, and a new made up dessert, Banana cream pie with bananas, banana pudding mix, with a gingersnap crust maybe with some peanut butter in it somewhere.

Hey, I want to keep this thread alive. I can hardly believe no one has had the need to vent since my last post a couple of weeks ago.

Well here goes. AGAIN, I wrote out what was a pretty lengthy reply to a new post, then saw the POST REPLY button and was given a new blank sheet to write on. Of course my lengthy reply was lost, and I know I should know better by now that I have to scroll down to post my reply, but D***mit!

My slipped disc (disk?) is hurting so I'm extra grouchy, but I still love this thread. I always feel better letting it out.

Zhizara, I'll vent with you! I have been doing some rather physical training the last 3 days and I ACHE! LOL! My left knee is swollen and a bit dodgy, my right glute is screaming and my shoulders...well don't get me started! Getting older sucks!

Ahhhhh! Thats better!

Hope your back feels better soon. I know how nasty THAT is! And I totally missed your post about importing your favorites. Did you get it worked out? I think when I did it I just manually did it.

Back
Top Bottom