Pellet Smoker Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I'm thinking about buying one.
The previous owners had a huge Treager pellet Grill.
It was a monster right on the deck.By my bedroom window.
The deck measures L- 20'x W-9'. It is covered. (Was that even safe?)
We don't need a massive one.
What should I be looking for?
Pro's and cons.

You say the deck is covered, but is it enclosed? If not enclosed, it "should" be OK, but under your window? probably not. Against an outside edge of the deck, again, probably. But I don't know the rest of your yard. How the wind generally blows and all those sort of details.
But if enclosed, I would not.

You say the deck is covered, but is it enclosed? If not enclosed, it "should" be OK, but under your window? probably not. Against an outside edge of the deck, again, probably. But I don't know the rest of your yard. How the wind generally blows and all those sort of details.

It's covered. Not enclosed.
What I saw looked to be the biggest one they built. That's probably why it was placed where it was. It would have taken away the full view of the back yard. Nothing but over grown grass their now.
It was just a quick look. House hunting at the time. Quick look. One couldn't miss that Logo.
When we do get a breeze here it's coming from the East.
I left Windyhood for a reason. To buy what they have is over kill. Is WiFi that necessary?....LOL..

We bartered for an electric masterbuilt smoker that needed the element (36$) replaced. We replaced it and traded some traps for it.
We used it for smoking tomatoes and peppers. Red peppers which were smoked, were dehydrated, then ground, and we use that for seasoning. Red Bell peppers for one batch and serrano peppers for another.

I don't see us using it much going forward. It has shelves for the food, and metal pans in the bottom for humidity and one for burning hickory (or whatever wood you want to use). We could sell it for $100 and we might do that.

If we were eating meat, making jerky or beef sticks it might be a better investment for us but we aren't using it much. We don't eat cheese so that is another thing we won't smoke. I could probably come up with a plant based sausage or cheese and smoke it but it seems like a pretty big chunk of effort and time for little gain.

We've witnessed our neighbor (a firefighter, ironically) catch his deck on fire twice with his gas grill. The worst was when his wife dumped a full can of Bud Light on the flaming grill and spread the grease fire everywhere.

Charcoal grills and smokers are even more dangerous on a deck.

No I don't think Wi-Fi is necessary but it could be pretty darn convenient especially on those long smokes overnight.

You should be getting remote temperature monitoring at a minimum with Wi-Fi.

And if you get temperature control as well then you don't have to leave the house unless you have to go out to wrap or unwrap your brisket or shoulder or whatever.

So if you wrap your brisket when you go to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 you can check it at 3 or 4:00 from your bed adjust the temperature if you need to and wait till it's time to get up and take it out of the smoker never having to step out of the house or your comfy warm bed.

We've witnessed our neighbor (a firefighter, ironically) catch his deck on fire twice with his gas grill. The worst was when his wife dumped a full can of Bud Light on the flaming grill and spread the grease fire everywhere.

Charcoal grills and smokers are even more dangerous on a deck.
Please tell me Captain Genius and his wife had fire extinguishers handy?
My old house didn't have a deck. Cement patio with over hanging covered roof. I would move whichever one was needed well away from the house. Soaked the grass and roof before and after use. If we weren't Q ing I would cover them and then move them out of the wet weather. Check and clean before use.
I've actually have has a smoker catch fire well after the fact the smoked ribs were done. I had checked the coals they were used up. Drip pan was empty. Next thing I knew my son told me it was on fire. Sounded like a low flying Jet. We had fire extinguishers 3 just on the patio. Between us both the problem was handled.No need to call the Insurance man out for my stupidity.
Now I have 3 in my living room. Wood burning stove.
Yes, I'm paranoid. Live and learn.

Munky.

No I don't think Wi-Fi is necessary but it could be pretty darn convenient especially on those long smokes overnight.

You should be getting remote temperature monitoring at a minimum with Wi-Fi.

And if you get temperature control as well then you don't have to leave the house unless you have to go out to wrap or unwrap your brisket or shoulder or whatever.

So if you wrap your brisket when you go to bed at 10:00 or 11:00 you can check it at 3 or 4:00 from your bed adjust the temperature if you need to and wait till it's time to get up and take it out of the smoker never having to step out of the house or your comfy warm bed.
Thank you for the information much appreciated. :)
It's helped me to know what to look for. I don't want to go back to charcoal or propane. Thought a pellet smoker would be a safer alternative. Your reply did make me laugh btw. No offense intended. Just made me think I'd be a lazy smoker, cheating in a way, when it's always been old school for me.
But hey if I don't have to get out of bed that's even better ;) Open the shade and look.

I did some checking. The previous owners did use it on the deck. I've already staked out part of the yard to be cleared of grass and put in fire proof tiles or bricks.
Still doing the homework. Pellet smokers aren't cheap.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom