PASTA PUTTANESCA (literally "Pasta in the Style of the

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
This come from my dearly departed friend from Salt Lake City, Utah Wendy Hufnagle aka ~W. Give it a try sometime. It so good it will make you want to slap somebody's mama.

bigwheel

Agent ~W said this>

This is my spin:

1-2 bunches fresh basil, unwashed, leaves rolled and julienned (I like
lots!)
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 c good quality olive oil
3 c or more tomatoes, cherry or Roma, but at least vine-ripened, not
hothouse
mashed anchovy filets (I use probably 12-14) to taste, or anchovy paste to taste (really, they're not overpowering, very mellow in the finished product, not fishy)
one entire bulb (not clove) of garlic, peeled and chopped or pressed
1 1/2 c good quality Greek black olives, pitted (do not use canned!)
dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
julienned roasted red pepper to taste (optional)
capers (optional...not too many, the anchovies make it plenty salty)
@ 12 oz. dried pasta*
freshly grated Parmigianno-Reggiano cheese

In a covered casserole, mix the olive oil, garlic and black olives. The
olives can be easily pitted just by squeezing them between your fingers. If using cherry tomatoes, cut in half. Any larger tomatoes cut into small
wedges. Add along with the anchovies or anchovy paste and basil leaves, and any other optional ingredients you decide to add. Mix in the morning on a sunny summer day and leave it to sit outside in the warm sun all day in a covered casserole. In the spring or fall, it can be 'cooked' in a warm
sunny spot in front of a closed window. It can also be warmed in a slow
oven until heated through. You don't want it to be hot.

Cook your pasta al dente and drain. Pour sauce over, add parmesan cheese to taste, and serve with good crusty bread to mop up the extra sauce. Leftovers keep well under refrigeration for 1 week. Just warm to serve. The flavors just keep improving. Remember, never serve hot.

*Use a pasta such as shells, bowtie, orecchiette or even penne...something that will soak up and hold the sauce. I think this is a very sensual, sexy dinner for two people to share with a good bottle of wine. Don't cut the bread, just rip pieces off...the jagged edges catch the sauce better.

I do all the things I have listed as optional, but it's a matter of taste.
Try the sun method if you can...I think it tastes better, but it may be all
in my head. ~W

Well kindly tell me whut it is that makes you think I aint tried it to the last jot and tittle? Aint much of nothing I aint ate at one time or another. Now will admit to most times giving it a whiff test. Way I was raised. If it dont smell good it aint fittin to eat. Guess that's why I like anchovies so well. Them things sure smell good huh?

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well kindly tell me whut it is that makes you think I aint tried it to the last jot and tittle? Aint much of nothing I aint ate at one time or another. Now will admit to most times giving it a whiff test. Way I was raised. If it dont smell good it aint fittin to eat. Guess that's why I like anchovies so well. Them things sure smell good huh?

bigwheel
bigwheel said:
This come from my dearly departed friend from Salt Lake City, Utah Wendy Hufnagle aka ~W. Give it a try sometime. It so good it will make you want to slap somebody's mama.

bigwheel

*Use a pasta such as shells, bowtie, orecchiette or even penne...something that will soak up and hold the sauce. I think this is a very sensual, sexy dinner for two people to share with a good bottle of wine. Don't cut the bread, just rip pieces off...the jagged edges catch the sauce better.

I do all the things I have listed as optional, but it's a matter of taste.
Try the sun method if you can...I think it tastes better, but it may be all
in my head. ~W

This part! :LOL:

"Spaghetti Putanesca" is how it's always listed on Italian restaurant menus wherever I've found it. I order it when I'm not in the mood for a meaty dish. It'd be strange to me on chunkier pasta, but it'd probably still be good. :)

--John 8)
(Story is, it's a quick and easy dish for the ladies of the night in Naples (or wherever) to enjoy on their break. ;) )

Unity said:
"Spaghetti Putanesca" is how it's always listed on Italian restaurant menus wherever I've found it. I order it when I'm not in the mood for a meaty dish. It'd be strange to me on chunkier pasta, but it'd probably still be good. :)

--John 8)
(Story is, it's a quick and easy dish for the ladies of the night in Naples (or wherever) to prepare and enjoy on their break. ;) )

Hmmm..I've always made it with with small shaped pasta..bowties..big shells etc...so it be sure and catch some juice. There is a real good cooked recipe for it in a cookbook I used to have called "365 Ways to Cook Pasta"...or something similar. Seems like maybe the Frugal Pervert might have a recipe for it too. Never seen it on any restaurant menus...course I dont hang out in the fancy smancy places. All the Eyetalian joints around here are owned and operated by Albanians from New Yawk City for some reason. It usually plain jane type stuff. Cheap and filling. All them carbs give a person a big tummy.

bigwheel

Unity said:

--John 8)
(Story is, it's a quick and easy dish for the ladies of the night in Naples (or wherever) to enjoy on their break. ;) )

Back
Top Bottom