Parota and making its dough elastic....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
when i'm making parota flat bread my dough doesn't get elasting enough and somewhat shrinks back.

the recipe says to let it sit for about 60 minutes so it is more elastic but i find that it doesn't occurs.

i used water instead of yogurt anyhow.

do you know of a way to make a basic dough for parota so that when i roll it it keeps its shape?

perhaps refrigerating it for a while and only then process it into the layerd shape?

TNXX

If the dough shrinks when you try to shape it, that means it needs to rest more.

Resting for a specific amount of time just gives you an approximation of how long it will take to get the dough ready. You have to learn to use the results rather than the time.

When the dough shrinks back, walk away and let it rest longer. Maybe 10-15 more minutes. Try again.

hi and thank you
at the moment it's in the fridge inside a box.
i will try again soon and see how better it becomes

I've noticed that when I use yogurt when I'm making Indian flatbreads they seem to roll out easier, compared to when using just water or milk. So maybe the acid breaks down some of the gluten, making it easier to roll out out. Why didn't you use the yogurt? If it's a problem with dairy, you could add a small amount of white vinegar, or some citric acid, to make up for the acid.

I hadn't seen parota bread before, so I googled it, and it bumps me to paratha bread. So is it this Indian bread you are talking about? And the atta flour they call for, but you aren't using? If so, that's a ww flour made from durum wheat, which, even though it has a lot of gluten, is easier to roll out. If you can't find it, maybe substitute some pure starch, in place of some of the flour - a trick used for making "cake flour" is to add 2 tb cornstarch to a measuring cup, and use that to measure the all purpose flour with. Still, if it's atta flour you are trying to substitute, try some WW, maybe with the starch added, or WW pastry flour (though around here, atta is easier to find than this!).

Last edited:
I´ve been cooking Indian food for years and had never heard of parota bread, but it seems to be a version of paratha. since it´s described as a "flaky" bread, I´d imagine that´s due to the amount of ghee in it. Once you´ve made the dough, let it rest; and I´d let it rest in the fridge.When the dough is cold, it´s easier to manage

hi all
thanks for the ideas

i want to mention that i've used the same recipe in the far past and it it worked fine and didn't shrink.
perhaps i will see how the refrigerated dough is behaving.

i think parota and paratha is the same thing.

i like it simple tho.... i make the dough with only water flour and salt....

but if i see it doesn't work i will give a try the what you people have saidd

Back
Top Bottom