P.A.G's No-Tomato Pizza Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
We had pizza the first night after I arrived at my daughter's house, with a couple of her best friends, and their families. The toppings were as you would expect, with an her bed pork topping for the meat on my pizza.

Now everyone who knows me, knows that I love a great, rich, tomato based sauce with lots of herbs, and a little heat. But tomatoes are high in potassium, a no-no for me. I can eat a little tomato, every once in a great while. My dear daughter knows this, and so created for me an extraordinary pizza sauce.

Like her dear old dad ( and I mean old:LOL:), P.A.G. developed the ability to taste something, and differentiate the different flavors in foods. She has a really great knowledge of various herbs, spices, and veggies. Using her abilities, she created a tomatillo based sauce. I was expecting a good sauce. What she made was a great sauce. She gave me permission to share it. So if you want to try something a little different, but still wonderful, try this recipe. You won't be disappointing.

P.A.G.'s Tomatillo Pizza Sauce
Ingredients:
4 sweet peppers, stems and seeds removed, diced
3 tomatillos, diced
2 tbsp crushed garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup reisling (or preferred white wine)
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp basil

Directions
Place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cover with a lid and cook on medium high, stirring every 10 minutes until peppers are soft. Place mix in a blender or use a hand blender. Puree until smooth. Return to pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce to low and cook uncovered , stirring every 10 to 15 minites until sauce is appropriately thick, about 1 hour.

If you want to make this pizza extra special, cook it over screaming hot hot charcoal, in a well oiled cast iron pan, with the lid on, and all vents open. Oh so good.

Oh, and I'm publicly saying thanks to my daughter (yeh, I told her in person too:))

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds like a great recipe, Chief! I never thought about making a pizza sauce with tomatillos, even though I always have them on hand, frozen and dried. And I just saw this year's fruits setting today!

Last edited:
Any particular toppings and/or cheese?

We used Asiago that we grated ourselves, along with fresh mozzarella that we crumbled by hand. Toppings ere seasoned pork, sliced black olives, sliced cremini mushrooms, sliced onion, and sliced green pepper. One ting I learned a few years back, Spread just enough sauce to create a translucent layer on the crust. Put on top[pings, but not so thick that you can't see the crust. Top with another thin layer of sauce. Top with cheese.

Too many toppings and too much sauce will unbalance the flavors, and not allow the crust to cook properly. I learned that lesson the hard way, before I had to watch my diet. I really loaded up a crust with meats, veggies, and lots of sauce. The crust was scorched on the bottom, and never did cook all the way through. The flavor wasn't good either. But it did fill the belly.:ermm:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom