OXO greensaver really works!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is.

I picked up a two pack of these OXO Greensaver Crisper Inserts, and put one in my crisper drawer in the fridge. WOW, it made a big difference, especially with quick to go bad veg like lettuce.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/ox...sper-inserts/d?productId=11007393&q=vegetable

They absorb ethylene gas, which is a substance that decays fresh produce. I haven't researched the science behind it, but my first-hand experience was pretty impressive.

Has anyone else used these things?

CD

Last edited:
I bought some shares in a product about 15 years ago called "Fridge Buddy".
The manufacturing plant was here in town. It also removed/absorbed ethylene gas from the fridge. But you were supposed to leave plastic bags open.
It never took off. Lucky I got my money back.

It could be used over and over again by heating it in the microwave.
They key ingredient was a very absorb-able rock like mineral/material only found in one place in the US.
Came in packs of three. And was $29.00

Last edited:
I remember reading about these, and I was going to make my own, STS, with some of the activated carbon that I use in my fish tanks. Of course, I haven't done it! lol. But I just got a free tea ball with something, that is the size of a baseball! Too large for even my batches of tea, but this might be the thing to use it for. Hmmm...

I remember reading about these, and I was going to make my own, STS, with some of the activated carbon that I use in my fish tanks. Of course, I haven't done it! lol. But I just got a free tea ball with something, that is the size of a baseball! Too large for even my batches of tea, but this might be the thing to use it for. Hmmm...
Where did you get a tea ball that big? I would love one.

Let me know if your DIY works. I would like to make one also if it works out.

Where did you get a tea ball that big? I would love one.

Let me know if your DIY works. I would like to make one also if it works out.
I got it when I got a fat separation from Amazon a few weeks ago (I broke my old glass one) . I looked up the brand, but I didn't see the tea ball sold separately. All of them looked about the same, and it seems that they were all giving something free with it! This one had a $4 discount, plus the tea ball was something more useful than the rest of the freebies. Here's the fat separator, showing the tea ball.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078WHPM49?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

Last edited:
I have a huge "tea ball" that was my Mom's. She used it to contain aromatics like pepper corns, chunks of garlic, bay leaves, etc, when making a stock or soup. I used to use it that way, but now I mostly toss all those things, and additionally parsley, carrot peels and celery trimmings, etc, into the pot. When I'm done simmering, I use my spider to pull large items out, then strain the soup through cheesecloth and toss.

The picture in the Amazon with the freebie, they show the tea fuser being used with... TA DA... TEA BAGS! Bit of overkill, no? LOL

I do use loose tea fairly often and think that would be handy for an entire pot.

Back
Top Bottom