Oven mitts versus towels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I, too, like the silicone potholders. Yes, they're less flexible, but they never get burned and I never feel the heat. On top of it, they're good for keeping a mixing bowl or cutting board in place on the counter, and great for a grip when opening jars. It is just getting used to a new texture. If one gets wet, I toss it in the sink and grab another. Oh, and they make a great trivet. I have a half-dozen and love them. I actually dropped one on a hot burner. It warped a bit, I picked it up and threw it out into the snow and threw it away, but in fact it probably was still usable, just ugly. (the burner was really hot, and my back was turned, so it stayed there awhile. Had it been a towel or cloth potholder, I'd have been reaching for a pot to toss over it to put out the fire)

Thick double terry hot pads for me. I have two silicone pads that I don't like...I can feel the heat through them too fast. Mits are too bulky, for both my hands and the drawer. Someone mentioned hand crocheted pads......good for nothing but "cuteness".....those holes are not a good thing.:(

Are the crocheted in a circle? Are they crocheted using cotton the thickness of yarn that one would use for a scarf? Because I have seen that kind in Denmark and they work fine. All single crochet, so no holes.

Are the crocheted in a circle? Are they crocheted using cotton the thickness of yarn that one would use for a scarf? Because I have seen that kind in Denmark and they work fine. All single crochet, so no holes.

I know nuffin about crochet TL, but these are double thickness and each thickness has big holes, not cotton. One looks like an owl, and like I say, they are cute, but...........:ermm::rolleyes:
The ones from Denmark sound nice and practical.

I know nuffin about crochet TL, but these are double thickness and each thickness has big holes, not cotton. One looks like an owl, and like I say, they are cute, but...........:ermm::rolleyes:
The ones from Denmark sound nice and practical.

They aren't particularly cute or attractive - it's a beginner's project :LOL:

Oven mitts here. Easy on/easy off. I think I'll look for those silicon pot holders though. I need some trivets anyway if I don't like using them to grab hot things. I have a dedicated pair of welding gloves I use for messing around with the smoker or grill. I also have the oven gloves (or whatever they're called). I was given them as a present. I don't like them because they fit too snug. Too hard to put on and take off for the short time they are used. And I don't have big hands.

Oven mitts here. Easy on/easy off. I think I'll look for those silicon pot holders though. I need some trivets anyway if I don't like using them to grab hot things. I have a dedicated pair of welding gloves I use for messing around with the smoker or grill. I also have the oven gloves (or whatever they're called). I was given them as a present. I don't like them because they fit too snug. Too hard to put on and take off for the short time they are used. And I don't have big hands.

And mine flop around...:LOL:

I used the ove glove and got it wet. Like any other mitt or potholder I got a nasty burn that way (using it wet). I personally prefer cloth pot holders. The silicone ones just aren't flexible enough.

I used the ove glove and got it wet. Like any other mitt or potholder I got a nasty burn that way (using it wet). I personally prefer cloth pot holders. The silicone ones just aren't flexible enough.

The difference in flexibility with silicone is the only beef I have with silicone. I have had enough issues with cloth pot holders that I'm willing to adjust to the silicone. In balance, their pros far outweigh their cons for me.

I like that you say you can throw the silicon potholders in the dishwasher.

I like that you say you can throw the silicon potholders in the dishwasher.

They're the best option for me. As trouble-free and simple to clean as can be. It took a little practice to get over the difference in flexibility but that's not an issue anymore.

I keep some cloth pot holders on hand for SO. She hasn't gotten used to the silicone ones.

I love oven mitts. Whenever I try to go with something fancier (towel, etc.) I end up messing things up!

Oven mitt user

I prefer to use my pair of oven mitts all the times that I use my oven. :chef:

Last edited:
The pot holders are a fantastic idea, but I would be afraid of slipping! How do you prevent the slips with potholders? Especially because they are so small and don't have any grips?

Currently, I use "Ov-Gloves", special oven mitts with heat resistant non-slip areas on the fingertips and palm. But yes, sometimes they are definitely prone to burns :[

You guys really are set in your ways. I use whatever I grab first...the important thing is to get that good food out of the oven and on to the table!

As you get older you tend to start minding if you get burned. You get set in your ways as you age and find things that work better.

whatever is there. if I have a towel over my shoulder. ill use it, if I for whatever reason places my mitts on the stove when I started baking like I often due...ill grab it...or one of each..it all depends..what ever keeps my hands from not having any skin on em

For those of you who find silicone type gloves difficult to slide on, dust them with corn starch.
I use all, silicone gloves, woven gloves with silicone dots, pads, sometimes a towel and even as taxy mentioned - a sleeve cuff for a quick push.
A hot heavy pot will seep heat thru silicone gloves as much as regular gloves, in my experience. I also find them slippery if the pot is greasy and with age and weaking hands and wrists I find that more than dangerous!
Woven gloves with silicone dots have been my favourite type of glove.
Now with a toaster oven, no gloves fit, so it has to be pads.

Back
Top Bottom