Oven mitts versus towels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I see on cooking shows that they use folded towels instead of oven mitts, and Lord knows I go through oven mitts like wildfire, so what's a girl to do ?

I've noticed that too, but I've tried both and I like the mitt better. Actually, I've added new oven mitts to my Christmas list for DH ... lol!

I don't car for either. Oven mitts take too long to put on and take off. Your hands have to be clean.

With towels you have to make sure there are several layers of towel between you and the hot parts and you have to make sure a loose end doesn't hit the burner and ignite.

I use pot holders. Specifically, silicone pot holders. They are heat resistant to a high degree. they can hold a hot pan out of the oven for a long time before the heat works it's way through to your hand. They are rubbery so they give great grip - no slips. They can be used as a trivet. I can toss them into the dishwasher or the washing machine to clean them (or wash by hand) and they are dry in minutes.

I don't car for either. Oven mitts take too long to put on and take off. Your hands have to be clean.

With towels you have to make sure there are several layers of towel between you and the hot parts and you have to make sure a loose end doesn't hit the burner and ignite.

I use pot holders. Specifically, silicone pot holders. They are heat resistant to a high degree. they can hold a hot pan out of the oven for a long time before the heat works it's way through to your hand. They are rubbery so they give great grip - no slips. They can be used as a trivet. I can toss them into the dishwasher or the washing machine to clean them (or wash by hand) and they are dry in minutes.
I use pot holders. I have several hanging on my pot rack. When they get dirty, just throw them away. Mitts for me are a PITA. I burn myself, or the towels, when I try to imitate Emeril

I typically use pot holders but when I need to move the CI griddle I get my grill gloves (fireplace gloves) out. Nothing worse that try to get a grip on that thing and suddenly spilling the bacon grease on your hands.

I have them all, all over the kitchen. but pot holders or towels are what I have my hands on most often.

I've got a selection and use them all. I especially like the high temp resistant silicon gloves where some manual dexterity is required.
LOL I think the only time I use towels is to take something out of the microwave.

If it's a one-hand-grab, I just use whatever is handy. A two-hand-grab is more comfortable using mitts. I'm more likely to use a potholder as a trivet though.

I'm not comfortable in silicon mitts. So many ideas, but I don't know what to try. I just don't want to burn myself.

I use pot holders most of the time. Sometimes I pull my sleeve over my hand, if I'm just going to shift the pot on the burner or tilt it momentarily.

I try to remember to use gloves when using the oven. I am the queen of getting burned, especially by hot parts of the oven. :eek:

I catch major heat(pun?) from my wife for using towels, because I wreck the good kitchen towels. They also get used for wiping the counter or cutting board which stains them even more. I use potholders now, because my wife makes a point of leaving them right infront of where I cook. I use tongs quite a bit also. I have a few sets haning on the handle of the Garland.

I used to use oven mitts but my favorite pair finally fell apart in the wash. They don't make them anymore and none of the other ones I've tried haven't been as comfortable to use. So now I use pot holders. I have a whole bunch of the old crocheted ones from my mom and grandma that I use.

I use pot holders.... mitts seem to all be made for "righties" and I'm a "leftie"......

Back
Top Bottom