Oven mitt recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I've always purchase them when I saw them , but never actually sought out any specific oven mitts.

Now Im looking to get decent oven mitts, as my wife complained about the ones we have, so if any of you have any specific recommendations , I'd appreciate it .

I don't use traditional oven mitts.

I have a pair similar to these:

Unknown.jpg

And a few pads like these:

Unknown1.jpg

Both are silicone. I prefer them to padded cloth.

I found a good oven mit while cleaning out Mom's kitchen - had to look, to see if the brand label was on and it was, and Amazon still has one that looks the same. Calphalon makes several, but this is the one that has the vertical running rubber ridges on it. It is slightly too small for my hands, however.
https://www.amazon.com/Resistance-F...qid=1624924747&sprefix=calphalon+oven+&sr=8-4

The ones I have a number of, for outside and inside, longer and shorter, have the label Range Master, which I got from a restaurant supply store.

The best oven mitts seem to be those made for use in charcoal and gas grills. They are usually thicker and sturdier.

I don't use traditional oven mitts.

I have a pair similar to these:

View attachment 47513

And a few pads like these:

View attachment 47514

Both are silicone. I prefer them to padded cloth.

I'm not fond of silicone for pot holders. I find that the heat gets through far quicker than with regular pot holders and oven mitts. Also, I want a mitt that protects the back of my hands and a ways up my arm. I have burnt my forearms and wrists too many times accidentally touching an oven rack or the edge of the oven. I often do just use pot holders, but I try to remember to use the oven mitts when I have noticed that I am having a clumsy day.

The best oven mitts seem to be those made for use in charcoal and gas grills. They are usually thicker and sturdier.

Yeah, I have seen oven mitts for grilling that looked like they would work really well. Like these or these. I haven't tried them myself, but am seriously considering getting some. BTW, it's a Canadian store, but they apparently have a US website, which they will offer to take you to if you are browsing from a US IP number.

I have switched to Oven Gloves. They work great, and have fingers. The "spots" are silicone. The grip is so much better than oven "mittens."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 9.57.19 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 9.57.19 PM.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 64
I had a pair of those oven gloves, casey.

I ended up chucking them as they were difficult to put on in a hurry and I didn't find the knit protected from heat for very long while hauling heavy stuff from the oven.

A friend however, loves them! LOL

To each his own!

2nd look at the pic and I see you have silicone spots on the back of the fingers, mine did not have those. :ermm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom