Our First Thanksgiving Turkey Is On Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I bought our "parts" turkey the other day. It's currently thawing in the fridge. Just under 12 pounds @$0.59/Lb for a grand total of $6.96.

When it's thawed, I'll deconstruct the bird, removing the breasts from the carcass and freezing them for two future meals. The two thighs will be deboned and frozen for another future meal. All the remaining parts will be broken down into manageable pieces and made into a delicious turkey stock for use in stuffing, gravy and pilaf.

SO, my daughters and I have done the planning for who prepares what for the big meal.

SO has already made a pumpkin roll and pumpkin cookies and is planning a big chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting for our grandson's birthday. (actually, it's toda, he became a teenager, but we'll celebrate when they're here on Thanksgiving.)

My daughters are bringing side dishes and rolls. I get to do the rest.

Turkey with stuffing and gravy
Pilaf
Pecan pie
Apple Pie

Has anyone else started their Thanksgiving preparations?

We were told to bring nothing and just come as guests, but I cant do that, so Ill probably bring some pre meal appetizers or maybe a few sides. not sure yet. I have a bunch of potatoes and butternut squash from the garden so I may decide to do something with them. Also have some red peppers, so thinking of a red pepper dip. My family ( probably like most others ) try to keep it traditional. Im the one who likes to add a twist . Also still have a bunch of cranberries left over ( in the freezer) from last year when I went cranberry picking, so Ill definitely make a cranberry relish.

We'll be going to older son's house, and they have added four Vegan guests to their guest list, so it will be an eclectic menu this year. Joey told me to just "do what you do Mom" and he will make sure they have enough good food to eat. Thank goodness, the traditional turkey is invited and he will be smoking two of them. I'll be doing my beloved stuffing, the required broccoli salad with bacon on the side this time, fresh cranberry sauce and Pecan Pie Bars.

Last edited:
I've done my non perishable shopping.
I also picked up 2 turkey wings to roast for stock.

I finished the shopping on Saturday before T-day. And start prep on Sunday. Most dishes are cooked and put in Pyrex dishes to be heated in oven on T-day. All that needs doing on the day is roast turkey, gravy (I like to add some of the roasting pan juices/brown bits to the stuffing and gravy) and heat dishes.

I think we have T'sgiving planning mostly going well. Bought two new folding tables at Target on sale, and I'm contemplating buying more folding chairs. We seem to be reaching an age where it is more difficult for those things to travel easily from one home to another, and it's time to concede just have family members arrive safely without hurting their backs.

We'll be making the basics, two turkeys, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, two kinds of cranberries.

Oldest BIL called first, he's bringing ice cream and oldest SIL called next and she will bring 2 pies-- apple and pumpkin. I don't think they even talked but they are close sibs.

Some family have indicated 2 salads, sweet potatoes, brussels, dinner rolls and a few family have yet to rsvp.

Some nephews from Ca and Fla are coming this year, and that's always special for holidays, especially for their parents.

While writing this, I just remembered we had fresh strawberries for DIL who was dieting last year. They were the biggest dessert hit for the littlest kids, finger foods for dessert. Yum. Have to remind SO we have to add to the grocery list. That's all for now.

Last edited:
This is the rough menu at this time. Things change sometimes. Small amounts of each appy and veggies (about 8 servings each, enough for seconds) so as not much leftovers. I may make small/mini pies (TBDL).

Appetizers

Cream Cheese, Green Olive and Walnuts Poppers
Marinated mushrooms
Stuffed Mushrooms

Entrée

Roasted Turkey
DD's Green bean Casserole
Brussels Sprouts
Asparagus
Baked Carrots
Creamed Pearl Onions
Sweet Potato & Acorn Squash
Mashed Turnip Root, Red and Yukon potatoes
Stuffing
Sautéed mushrooms
Turkey Gravy
Cranberry/Tangerine Relish
Homemade Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce

Dessert

Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Homemade Whipped cream

Beverages

Soda
Sparkling cranberry apple cider
Trader Joe's Apple Cider (Honey crisp and/or spiced)
Coffee/Tea

Last edited:
We are going with my cousins their SO's, and my last living aunt on my mom's side to a local restaurant. We have been doing this for at least the last 10 years. We us this time to plan our Christmas get-together which is usually the Sunday before Christmas but will be on the 15th this year.

We have a free 21 lb. turkey in freezer & a will pick up a free 7 lb. turkey breast next week (will be used for New Year's turkey sandwiches).

Last edited:
Last week I got my cheap (29¢/lb) turkey last week (I never buy enough to build up points to get a free one), and cut the back bone, ribs, and other scraps out, and made some broth in the larger pressure cooker (too much for the IP). Gave the good parts a dry rub, and yesterday I steamed all of the parts of the turkey in my large, Chinese steamer. Cooled them overnight, and this morning I separated all of the meat from the bones, skin, and tendons, then took the broth, and cooked all these bones in it, and made a very strong turkey broth, which I froze, 1 c at a time - probably 3-4 times normal strength.

The meat I Foodsavered in bags of cubes, shredded meat, and the breast I sliced up for sandwiches. Had to have some of the leftovers, even if I wasn't making Thanksgiving dinner!

Back
Top Bottom