Osso Buco Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy,

I have a quick question. Would it make a difference, if I used dry Porcini verses fresh Porcini Mushrooms ?

Why do I ask ? I reside in a locality, where fresh mushrooms are abundant.

Would it alter the profile ?

Thank you and have a lovely weekend.

Andy,

I have a quick question. Would it make a difference, if I used dry Porcini verses fresh Porcini Mushrooms ?

Why do I ask ? I reside in a locality, where fresh mushrooms are abundant.

Would it alter the profile ?

Thank you and have a lovely weekend.

If you have access to fresh porcini, you should definitely use them.

Thank you Andy. Absolutely, an exceptional Osso Buco recipe. Thank you for posting.

Have a lovely day.

These are lovely recipes, however I have two comments to make:

The term 'ossobuco' refers to the fact that the pieces of meat should be thick slices - minimum 1 1/5 in thick - and should contain wit them that they should still have the marrow bone with the bone marrow still in it. It goes without saying that you can get veal, beef and pork ossibuchi. The shin is also a very good piece to buy for long braising recipes, but rather than make a acomanying dish of risotto (the class for this is Ossobuco alla Milanese with Risotto alla Milanese). Traditionally, the accompaniment for braised shin, be it beef, shin or veal, is polenta. For this I would recommend using a top quality polenta flour rather than the instant stuff. If you're interested, I'll post detailed information about it. Without being precious, I really do believe that polenta goes best with braised shin, and risotto witjh ossobuco!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di - thank you! As always you have beautiful suggestions. I'm going to attempt polenta again. I used to make it effortlessly until an Italian friend watched me one day and said ...oh oh you can't do it that way! Since then everytime I've tried it has been a disaster! LOL - the last time even the chickens wouldn't eat it! :(:ROFLMAO:

Andy - yummy - have copied and pasted! I will try your version. I will try to post the dragn's version soon. :)

di - thank you! As always you have beautiful suggestions. I'm going to attempt polenta again. I used to make it effortlessly until an Italian friend watched me one day and said ...oh oh you can't do it that way! Since then everytime I've tried it has been a disaster! LOL - the last time even the chickens wouldn't eat it! :(:ROFLMAO:

Do you have a pressure cooker? I never made polenta before I got the Instant Pot, because I didn't want to spend an hour or so stirring it [emoji38] It's super easy in the IP, though - 15 minutes and done!

Thanks GG. No, I don't have an IP. My friend watching me was horrified that I seem to barely cook it and unfortunately was only stopping by. She never tasted the end result which was delish! But as said... since then :shock:

After checking each post and there are about 7 (maybe 8?) listing recipes for Osso Buco and after having read each one :wacko: I've decided not to post yet another. They are all so similar with slight differences.

When I did my own version of this recipe it was after researching many cooking sites and taking bits and pieces from them all.

As known, traditionally this is done with Veal, unfortunately Veal is not always available here nor affordable when it is. So I find pork a fine substitute.

An often debated ingredient seemed to be tomatoes. Canned, paste, either or simply none. I chose to use paste to enhance and although I have not yet done it perhaps one day I will also try Anchovy paste along with it to further enrich the flavours. Sad to say I am not America's Test Kitchen where I can test 16 of the same dish at one time.

Last is stock/liquids. The choices are incredibly variable and needless to say each choice will alter the flavour. I like to use at least some veal stock (purchased) for the simple reason it is, after all, Osso Boco. Many recipes use chicken stock as against beef stock. Wine, again most recipes use white wine while only a few use red. I suggest you limit the wine to only 1 cup although I admit some do add more. I just find it can easily over-power the flavours.

Long winded :rolleyes: I know but those are my thoughts, and now I'm going to root around in the depths of my freezer to see if I can find some long lost bones with holes!

Di Reston,

Your advice merits excellence.

Thank you.

Andy: The Recipe is absolutely exceptional. Thank you ..

Was watching one of those cooking/traveling show the other day, they were in MIlan. Oh my! They went to this place for Osso Buco. It was to dye for even thru the television screen. I need to to get me some veal. :yum:

Charlie D.

Was watching one of those cooking/traveling show the other day, they were in MIlan. Oh my! They went to this place for Osso Buco. It was to dye for even thru the television screen. I need to to get me some veal. :yum:

I prepared Andy´s Recipe for Osso Buco, and it was absolutely amazing.

I served it with a lovely simple salad which was more than enough for the two of us ..

Have a lovely day.

I ask this with the utmost respect and absolutely no judgment implied. What is the going rate for veal shanks?
Although I'm sure they are inferior, I have enjoyed braised beef shanks a la osso bucco which are inexpensive at Mexican groceries with a carniceria (butcher counter), but never used honest to goodness veal shanks. Never even see them in the stores I frequent. I asked once, years ago, what the special order price would be at a local Kroger and, although I can't remember the answer, it seemed outrageous at the time.

Last edited:
I ask this with the utmost respect and absolutely no judgment implied. What is the going rate for veal shanks?
Although I'm sure they are inferior, I have enjoyed braised beef shanks a la osso bucco which are inexpensive at Mexican groceries with a carniceria (butcher counter), but never used honest to goodness veal shanks. Never even see them in the stores I frequent. I asked once, years ago, what the special order price would be at a local Kroger and, although I can't remember the answer, it seemed outrageous at the time.

We have a local butcher/grocery that has them on occasion and offer them as a special. I buy several packages, targeting the larger ones. I didn't find them very expensive, but only having osso bucco a few times a year (when they have them on special), they are worth the price, IMO.:yum:

I ask this with the utmost respect and absolutely no judgment implied. What is the going rate for veal shanks?...

I really don't recall the price. They are more expensive than beef shanks. Beef would give the dish an entirely different flavor from veal.

Looks like a good recipe, Andy. I've made this in the past with lamb shanks, because they're easier to find than veal. But while in Hy-Vee last weekend, I did see a section in the meat case with some veal cuts, including shanks. Now I have the excuse I need to justify buying them.

What is the going rate for veal shanks?

The one rare time I actually had veal shanks, there were four in the package, just barely enough to feed two (and no, I don't remember the weight). They were on special and I'm trying to remember if it was 12$ or 16$ for the package. I decided then that it was not something I would prepare for a house full of visitors nor invited dinner guests!.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom