Order of Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Hi all. Haven't been here for a while. Wife and I are planning to make pork chops, potatoes, and sauerkraut in a slow cooker. From some of the on-line recipes I've seen, layering is totally different from recipe to recipe. Some call for pork chops on bottom, others call for sauerkraut on bottom. Does it really matter? We were planning on sauerkraut bottom layer, then pork chops, then potatoes. I'd rather have soggy sauerkraut than soggy pork chops.

Want my way to cook it ?

First of all the pork can go where it wants, but down at the bottom of a ton of kraut it will fall to pieces when you retrieve it. For that reason I say put the chop on the top.

Want it a bit special ? Most people drain it and put in sugar, don't do that, use it as it sits. If it contains caraway seeds fine, many brands already have them but if not you add them.

I also add dumplings.

And cut to the chase - scramble an egg in a mixing bowl. Add salt or whatever now. Start adding flour until it gets thick enough for you. It must be scooped out into the boiling water. When they are made this way - with no water or milk, they are not necessarily done when they float. I find they are after a couple minutes.

Do all this and then they are not normal. We were built on not normal, or at least I was.

T

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I do have my own way with the sauerkraut. Bit complicated. My wife rinses. Then I saute some onions, add the sauerkraut, then some beef broth. When the broth cooks off, it goes in the slow cooker with some diced bacon. The bacon melts and provides a nice hickory smoked flavor to the sauerkraut. Not greasy.

Was thinking of adding Sophie's Choice dumplings.

Well try some undrained. In a bowl, separate from the big pot or whatever.

Just experience sauerkraut for real. Try it at least.

T

Back
Top Bottom