Opinions from Sous-Vide Cooks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
That sounds incredibly expensive! The last batch of 64 oz mason jars I got (last summer some time) were only $16.95 for a half dozen!

Last edited:
That sounds incredibly expensive! The last batch of 64 oz mason jars I got (last summer some time) were only $16.95 for a half dozen!
Kayelle

All the canning jars That I
buy come with the lids, In use
those in the Sous Vide and they
work great Do not leak.
Josie

Do they have one piece plastic screw on lids? Thanks in advance PH and Josie

The jars (not the plastic lids) can be used for pressure cooking, so there's no reason they couldn't be used in sous vide.

The canning jars pepper and josie are talking about come with two-piece metal lids for canning. You can buy plastic lids separately, but it would be more expensive than what you're looking at. If you're not going to use the jars for canning, you don't need the canning lids.

The jars (not the plastic lids) can be used for pressure cooking, so there's no reason they couldn't be used in sous vide.

The canning jars pepper and josie are talking about come with two-piece metal lids for canning. You can buy plastic lids separately, but it would be more expensive than what you're looking at. If you're not going to use the jars for canning, you don't need the canning lids.

Thanks for your feedback GG. I'm not interested in canning, but I sure am loving SV. Do you SV and if not, are you interested?

It must be those lids they are charging so much for; I got the regular, 2 piece metal lids every time I've bought jars. I do have plastic lids, but not the type that seal - you have to put a regular lid on under them, to seal. I really don't know what their purpose was - some elderly lady gave them to me, along with a bunch of jars, when she moved out of her house.

On the topic of the one piece lids - though I've never seen the plastic ones, I had a bunch of metal ones, and I ended up throwing them away, one by one, and the reason was the lids would stick, and get incredibly hard to get off. I realized that the reason was that the seal would stick, much like the seals on the disks would stick, but with those, the rings come off easily, then the disks pry off easily. Not with the one piece ones! And this wasn't with jars used in canning - this was just using them for storing dry beans and the like, and not putting the lids on tight...so I thought. So if the one piece plastic lids have similar seals to the metal disks, beware.

Last edited:

That's probably true PH but they way I see it, $32 for 8 little jars with one piece plastic lids costs way less than my usual monthly pedicure and hair cut I haven't had in over two long months. ;):rolleyes: I could be one of those "high maintence types", but I deserve those little jars...:LOL:

Last edited:
Kay, they are a lot less money on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Brand-G...+storage+caps+4+oz&qid=1589467052&sr=8-1&th=1

Also, reading the Q&A, some folks don't recommend them for sous vide because they don't consider them as leakproof. Not sure I trust Amazon Q&A, since we don't know reviewers expertise, just putting it out there. I belong to a sous vide group and everyone was making egg bites a couple years ago. I can ask there if someone has actual experience with the plastic lids.

I really don't know what their purpose was - some elderly lady gave them to me, along with a bunch of jars, when she moved out of her house.
I use the plastic lids for refrigerator pickles; freezer jam; homemade barbecue sauce, mustard, etc.; leftovers, dry storage (beans, etc.) All kinds of things.

Kay, they are a lot less money on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Brand-G...+storage+caps+4+oz&qid=1589467052&sr=8-1&th=1

Also, reading the Q&A, some folks don't recommend them for sous vide because they don't consider them as leakproof. Not sure I trust Amazon Q&A, since we don't know reviewers expertise, just putting it out there. I belong to a sous vide group and everyone was making egg bites a couple years ago. I can ask there if someone has actual experience with the plastic lids.

Holy cow..that's really a big savings SS. I'd really appreciate you asking for me! I don't want to ruin the first batch I make. Is the SV group on Facebook?

I searched egg bites plastic top in the forum, and found someone said the plastic opened up in the water. It was suggested that they work if you put cling wrap over the top first, then screw on the lid.

GO to the page and search egg bites - there's a lot of info.

Thanks for your feedback GG. I'm not interested in canning, but I sure am loving SV. Do you SV and if not, are you interested?
I don't have a sous vide circulator. I find it interesting and I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences with it. I don't have extra money for another kitchen gadget right now, though.

Yes,https://www.facebook.com/groups/exploringsousvide

Jason Logsdon (the admin of the group) is the author of several popular sous vide cookbooks.

I searched egg bites plastic top in the forum, and found someone said the plastic opened up in the water. It was suggested that they work if you put cling wrap over the top first, then screw on the lid.

GO to the page and search egg bites - there's a lot of info.

I don't have a sous vide circulator. I find it interesting and I enjoy reading about everyone's experiences with it. I don't have extra money for another kitchen gadget right now, though.

TSM for the info SS. I've chosen all these years to avoid FB, but I sure appreciate your feedback for me.
I understand with these hard times GG. You're company on this forum is welcome.;)

Back
Top Bottom