One Good Pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
modern CI is rougher than the older ones because they don’t take the extra time to mill/polish, for lack of better words smooth the inside now days. The more time handled and extra steps in house adds to the bottom line of cost to manufacture and the $19 skillet is no longer $19. We kinda live in a throwaway world now days when it’s easier toss and replace for cheap, and people want cheap fast and useable stuff. few want to pay for old school craftsmanship and really don’t see the difference anyway.

I do like the smoother older ones and as CD mentioned I find them better for delicate type foods, the spatula glides under the food instead of that slight choppy push. Just my opinions.

But you can’t go wrong with a new one for the price. Treat it right and it will last someone a 100 years:) the one I use most of the time is over a hundred years old with no end insight.

I worked in a cast iron foundry in the early 70's. Besides not milling the product as much, as you say, I think they are also using less pure iron these days. They aren't getting enough slag off before they pour. So they can mill and mill and sandblast and sandblast but there will still be pits.

I have a lot of CI, some smooth, some rough. I do not see a difference in performance. That being said, I also do not understand the obsession either.

Mark

Well, I just learned the Cowboy Kent Rollins likes smooth cast-iron, too. Like me, he is a Griswold and Wagner Ware fan.

Don't know who Kent Rollins is? Google or YouTube search him. Bobby Flay knows who he is, after Kent took Bobby to the cleaners in an episode of Throwdown.

So, I'm in good company. :punk:

CD:D

modern CI is rougher than the older ones because they don’t take the extra time to mill/polish, for lack of better words smooth the inside now days. The more time handled and extra steps in house adds to the bottom line of cost to manufacture and the $19 skillet is no longer $19. We kinda live in a throwaway world now days when it’s easier toss and replace for cheap, and people want cheap fast and useable stuff. few want to pay for old school craftsmanship and really don’t see the difference anyway.

I do like the smoother older ones and as CD mentioned I find them better for delicate type foods, the spatula glides under the food instead of that slight choppy push. Just my opinions.

But you can’t go wrong with a new one for the price. Treat it right and it will last someone a 100 years:) the one I use most of the time is over a hundred years old with no end insight.

Thanks! Good description. Like I said before, it is a subtle difference, but to me, it is a noticeable difference.

CD

I like my one cast iron pan. Very good in retaining heat levels, so I love it for searing. What do you guys think about those copper pans? They look fancy and nice in a kitchen, but are they a good tool for the kitchen?

Back
Top Bottom