? on canning apple pie filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadie33

Assistant Cook
This is the first time I have canned apple pie filling. I know I can't use corn starch. The recipe called for ClearJel and I bought Sure-Jell. Is there any way I can use the pectin instead of the ClearJel?

I did some more research, and it seems you can process the apple pie filling WITH OUT the clear jel and add regular corn starch before cooking the pie.

Has anyone done this and is it the same result?

this is a fairly concise info bit on the topic.

as to canning the apples "with nuttin'" - yes, that works. and . . . since you don't have apple pie filling, you can use the apples in various other dishes that do not require "apple filling"
- a 'trick' I use for many veggies. that way I have a stock of stuff I can use for many dishes, not the one dish it was put up for....

A couple of years ago I canned apple pie filling using granny smith apples and Clear Jel. I've never liked and still don't like the taste of Clear Jel, it has an artificial bite to it and I taste it in the canned apple filling and don't like it.
The apples from the apple tree here, do not keep their shape so we only make apple sauce with them, nothing added besides dipping the apple slices in vitamin C water before cooking.
I don't have experience making any other kind of canned apples that kept their shape to later use as filling for a pie, thickened with anything.

I like the idea of canning the apple filling without any thickener. As dcSaute pointed out, then it can be used for more dishes than just apple pie. I can't imagine that it would be a problem to add corn starch when ready to use it. Stews are also canned without any thickener and just thickened when ready to use.

what else would you use the apples for?

I usually make apple sauce and jam. Last year we had so many I we dehydrated some and juiced the rest. We are going to have even more this year and I'm trying to think what else to do with them.

Apples are really good with bratwurst and sauerkraut. They're also good alongside pork chops or pork roast. And you can serve them on top of a German pancake, aka Dutch baby.

Aside from having apple or pear sauce on the side, of a dish. It can be added to nice-cream, smoothies if you make them, cookie recipes, zucchini bread recipes, any quick bread, even yeast breads. We use fruit for sweetening and moisture instead of using refined sugar.

Last year was an exceptional harvest from one pear and one apple tree. 75 qts of apple sauce, 50 qts of pear sauce, and we haven't used it up over the year. We were exceptionally blessed last year.
The pears this year are still holding very strongly to the branches, but we'll make more pear sauce in a week or so.

interesting. I just made a batch of jam and will probably make some apple sauce tonight. I usually make apple pie jam, but I still have about 10 jars from last year. I found a caramel apple jam recipe. I didn't have the clear butter extract it called for, so I used maple extract. It came out soooo good!! It was the first time I used powdered pectin. It was nice I got to use the sure-gel I accidently bought instead of the clear gel.

thanks for all the advice and suggestions!!

Our plans accelerated. We made pear sauce from 1 and 1/2 5-gallon buckets of pears. 1 18 qt roaster full, 11 qts. We'll probably have enough pears for another 3-5 batches. It takes the two of us about 2 hours to use the corer/peeler/slicer to get through that many pears.

Bliss, will you be making pear scrap vinegar?
No. I just bottled 9 gallons of apple scrap vinegar last week. I probably won't make it again until I get down to 1 or 2 gallons, so maybe next year.

Our plans accelerated. We made pear sauce from 1 and 1/2 5-gallon buckets of pears. 1 18 qt roaster full, 11 qts. We'll probably have enough pears for another 3-5 batches. It takes the two of us about 2 hours to use the corer/peeler/slicer to get through that many pears.
I made plum sauce (like apple sauce but with my prune plums) last year because I had sooo many. It came out really good. I have never had pear sauce. I planted a pear tree last year, a keifer. I was going to get another pear this year, but they were all out by the time I went looking. When I get a big enough harves (eventually) I will have to try pear sauce.

@sadie33, oh plum sauce would be delicious. I love the cooked plum color too, so jewel like in a jam.
Are you in madison WI? if so, we are neighbors!

We made our 3rd batch of pearsauce. 186 pear - 1 bushel - 1 18 qt roaster full - 11 qts canned. So we have about 33 qts canned so far. I'm so thankful mr bliss helps. It takes us about 2 hours to get the pears into the roaster, sticky floor, buckets of waste, juice everywhere. lol

I am not in WI. I can't imagine canning on that scale. I am making my 3rd batch of applesauce tomorrow. I also have help, it does take time and yes, very sticky floors. But sooo worth it. I took the weekend off. It's back to "work" tomorrow. I'll also make a batch of apple butter and dehydrate a bunch. We had a good crop of apples this year.

Apples are really good with bratwurst and sauerkraut. They're also good alongside pork chops or pork roast. And you can serve them on top of a German pancake, aka Dutch baby.
I looked up brats with apples and got this amazing slow cooker brat recipe. We just had it for dinner, it was amazing!!! I made authentic German potato salad and an apple tart for dessert. Thank you for the suggestion.

Sadie, too bad we aren't neighbors but we can still exchange cooking/canning/baking info here. We finished off our last batch of pear sauce, total 52 qts of pear sauce. More than enough, what a blessing this has been.

Back
Top Bottom