Oil storage for cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cast iron use has picked up in our kitchen, with an an average use of 1-2 pans a day. The pans are pretty much living on the stove at this point, so it's just really convenient.

The catch is that the process to clean up after use, which always involves reseasoning with veg oil. Oil stored in the pantry. 10 whole feet away, and includes working hard to turn the doorknob with greasy fingers. That's a 20 foot walk, and some fancy wrist work. ;)

Anyway, thinking about options to just store a small container of oil on the counter next to the stove. I was thinking about getting an oil pourer with spout. Just want to know if there are issues storing veg oil in a non-airtight container for weeks or months?

I buy plastic squirt bottles from Walmart for $0.97 each. I keep them in a cabinet near the stove and store the larger containers farther off.

I buy plastic squirt bottles from Walmart for $0.97 each. I keep them in a cabinet near the stove and store the larger containers farther off.

Ditto the above. Have been doing that for years. When I finish with the CI I just wipe it down with some oil on a paper towel. Actually, I store that paper towel between the CI's. When I think it's time, I chuck it and start a new piece of towel.

Even after scrubbing my CI's, if they are well seasoned, you barely need an oil dampened paper towel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom