Off Topic? Computers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Old Fuddy Duddy here. but then I can do things.

To start, I liked 98SE, but circumstances dragged me into XP. So I got a very hard to get edition, from back in 2001 but it is the special corporate version. It can do things I had never seen done before. See every time they "upgrade" they take something away.

I do many things with XP, I move the swapfile to its own drive, or close, I install whatever I can on another drive and have most everything saved on the extra drive. The boot drive stays nice and clean.

Once I am done, someone should stop over and see how it runs. everything is like lightning. Immediate.

I have one of the best mobos that can take XP. A Gigabyte GA-880. It is an enhanced reliability board, with even thicker copper on it. Also better caps and all that. It also seems to support the fastest processors that can take XP.

So I lost the disk, but downloaded all the drivers ad will be loading it next week.

So I say this, when I leave that PC, the next morning it will operate exactly like it did the night before. On Win 10 you cannot count on that.

In fact some people cannot use 10. Engineers working on government projects for example. Read the EULA of 10 and you see they have access to your files anytime they want. Well they sign an NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement. If that is with the government it is not hard to get into trouble when people can just take the files. There are some governments that will not allow Windows on their national PCs, and China required the source code so they could properly restrict it. And that was before 10, or even 7.

That's my say.

T

I say Windows 10 will run just fine if left the computer on 24/7.

A Gigabyte GA-880 is a very ancient motherboard and we are moving over to Windows 11 this year which at the moment will not work at all on that machine period.

A free download of Windows 11 will be available soon. I just can't wait!

When Microsoft released Win95 they used the Rolling Stones Start Me Up as their theme song "Start me up. If you start me up I'll never stop. Start me up. If you start me up I'll never stop", but they forgot the second verse of the song: You make a grown man cry, you make a grown man cry"

After a couple of decades, I have finally concluded that Linux will never be user friendly. DH uses it exclusively, but he's a systems engineer. I am now considering whether or not to just give up and try to live with Windog or if I want to spend the time to learn Linux. I have been using computers for a long time and command lines don't phase me. I'm not saying I like them anymore, but I can live with them. I dunno. Do I have the gumption at my age to bother going through the effort of Linux? Every time I think I do, DH does an upgrade and he spends all day or longer futzing around with it. At least the futzing around he does is fairly straight forward. Windog makes configuring stuff to my liking very murky and every time they make Windog more user friendly, they take away options. I am really frelling tired of the dumbing down of computers and the internet, just so it won't scare non-tech oriented people. There has to be a better way not to scare them. /end rant.

P.S. I think I might convince myself to switch to Linux. DH hasn't used Windog in about 15 years. He's my personal, onsite techy. If I want him to be able to help me sort out my computer issues, I need to be using Linux. Some of those issues, I really just need someone to tell me where to look or how to think about it differently.

Win95. Wow. You know most of that was stolen. Much of went into it came from a program called Desqview by a company called Quarterdeck. (years earlier)

In fact before that the Win3.XX and earlier desktops were a takeoff on IBM's Presentation Manager.

The mouse was an Apple plan.

Gates bought DOS for fifty grand I think, talk about profit.

Invention almost always depends on previous invention. You buy as new car, think the engineers designing it were thinking "OK, I am sure now, the wheels should be round" ?

Hate Gates ? Don't, hate is stupid. But don't put him up as a hero.

Speaking of Win10, friend of mine told me it did an update and lost Firefox and all his bookmarks and now he is locked into Edge and Bing.

My computer is MINE and I will tell it what to do and it will do it or face consequences. I got XP mastered, it does exactly what I want and fast. I am pretty close on Vista, and started working with Win7.

One thing that is important is the scheme, I got XP Vista and 7 looking like Win98. I want it that way because when it pops up with a Windows alert it will follow the scheme, these clickbaits and whatnot on the web do not, therefore I can tell the difference. You see, I am the anti-virus.

So I have the most modern, fastest mobo that can take XP and just downloaded the drivers for it. I had the disk but couldn't find it. i am so sick of looking for things I am ready to burn this place down.

But in some time I will be typing to you from software dated 2001. I hope soon.

T

I never thought that I would see
Someone so enamored of Windows XP :ROFLMAO:

Support for XP was discontinued over a decade ago, so I hope you have a great firewall - there haven't been any security updates in years. I don't know why you're so determined to avoid Windows 10, but I've been using it for six years now with no problems to speak of.

Your friend should have backed up his PC before doing the update - that's standard procedure. I use Chrome and Google for my browser and search engine with no issues. I'd take a closer look at it if I were you.

Now I'm wondering if maybe your friend missed a setting option during installation. User error is always a possibility.

Last edited:
If I want him to be able to help me sort out my computer issues, I need to be using Linux. Some of those issues, I really just need someone to tell me where to look or how to think about it differently.
All you have to do is ask here [emoji2] I've been using Windows since it started. Yes, the upgrades move things around, but I can usually get it to work the way I want it.

All you have to do is ask here [emoji2] I've been using Windows since it started. Yes, the upgrades move things around, but I can usually get it to work the way I want it.

I have also been using Windows since Win 3 point something or other. If I had more patience, I could probably tweak things more to my liking. I don't particularly enjoy having to relearn so many things every time there is a new version of Windog.

I suppose that if I'm looking for a setting, this might be as good a place as any to ask.

Well today I found the bunch of disks that came with the board so I am like all ecstatic now.

And on the way tonight with any luck are two SSDs for it.

Realize what I can do with this old software, I can print on government letterhead, I can alter documents, I can super enhance photos and control color in way you never imagined. (the functions exist but mine are manual) I can record sounds up to 128 channels and post mix them, and enhance them. This better than CD sound. I can manually edit programs to make them an unknown type to the PC. My Send to menu has probably 15 items on it.

There is more that I forgot, Maybe I'll remember more once it is up and running.

I got newer PCs, a couple of Win7 ones. I just don't like them. There is a Win10 one upstairs I might have been on twice max., I have used Win8. Each one worse than the other, why would I think Win10 does not follow the trend ?

There wil be a rustdrive in there with the whoe sytem once it is complete. Virus ? HAHAHAHA, let's see you infect this, it is not even connected.

I know it is possible, but doubtful.

Still 13% for 10, 11% for XP.

I will have this.

T

Now I just got my hands on a couple of SSDs. Should run nice on them eh ? And it has 4GGB RAM, I know Widows will only use 3.3 of it but whatever.

I am ready to load as soon as I get the thing moved where I want it.

T

I have also been using Windows since Win 3 point something or other. If I had more patience, I could probably tweak things more to my liking. I don't particularly enjoy having to relearn so many things every time there is a new version of Windog.

I suppose that if I'm looking for a setting, this might be as good a place as any to ask.

I dabbled earlier but didn't really get started 'til Win 3.1 and dBase III. Forgotten more than I ever knew though. Got my first smartphone couple of years ago. Now I'm dumber than I ever was.

Last edited:
Well I got the 1 TB drive ordered. I got a copy of SP-2 I trust. I got the disks that came with the board.

Just about ready to load.

T

I am haggling on eBay over one. The price isn't so bad but the guy wants fifty bucks shipping.

The 7 box here that is supposed to be able to take XP but won't is going to stay 7 and get a wifi card. Then it goes in the bedroom.

This vista box (laptop) will stay in the basement. One nice feature is when I am putting in numbers for a purchase I can shut off the wifi and do it on wire automatically. Just flip a switch.

And best but not last - NO UPDATES !

T

I don't even know what SSD's are!
SSD is like a flashdrive memory. There's no mechanical activity like in the traditional hard drives. No reading and writing heads. It's just a chip. It's fast but when it stops working there's hardly anything you can do. With a traditional mechanical drive you can recover the data. Good and Bad :yum:

I am haggling on eBay over one. The price isn't so bad but the guy wants fifty bucks shipping.

The 7 box here that is supposed to be able to take XP but won't is going to stay 7 and get a wifi card. Then it goes in the bedroom.

This vista box (laptop) will stay in the basement. One nice feature is when I am putting in numbers for a purchase I can shut off the wifi and do it on wire automatically. Just flip a switch.

And best but not last - NO UPDATES !

T
I've come down from MS-DOS. Loved 98 and XP, hated Vista and 7. I would still have been using XP if there were security updates and new software compatibility. Without those two an XP machine is just a new age typewriter :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom