Oatmeal?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Has anyone ever made their own oatmeal? Growing up I loved eating Quackers oatmeal before heading off to school. But I've got a urge to cooked some homemade. Any ideas or suggestiod?!

Has anyone ever made their own oatmeal? Growing up I loved eating Quackers oatmeal before heading off to school. But I've got a urge to cooked some homemade. Any ideas or suggestiod?!

I always have a cylindrical canister of Quaker oats in the cupboard. I make the one minute version because I don't have the inclination to devote a half hour or more to cooking the 'good stuff'.

I flavor it variously with apricot jam, maple syrup, cinnamon and brown sugar, or blueberries and sugar. I love the stuff.

Also, there is a recipe inside the lid of the canister for the best oatmeal cookies you'll eve eat (Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies).

Can't mess with perfection

Love the Vanishing Oatmeal cookies. They also work well in bar form, and freeze wonderfully.

Some say steel cut Scottish/Irish oats are also very good.

Last edited:
I'm an oatmeal fiend, love the regular rolled oats, the steel cut and any other rolled grain mixture I can get my hands on. Just follow the directions on the carton. Increased flavor, increased chew factor, love the texture. Instant oatmeal tastes and feels like paste, to me.

Ditto ... perfection can't be duplicated.

Love oatmeal .. have eaten it all my life. I do the long cooking when I pick up the wrong container at the store. Really I don't see much difference other than the time it takes to make the quick vs the long cooking.

I do not like what comes in those little packets though .. it's slimy and just not good to me at all.

Brown sugar & a wee touch of milk on mine and I get that cozy comfy feeling that feel like a hug !

I like to put the oats in cold water and heat the water together with the oats. It results in a super creamy texture. Add a little butter and sugar in the bowl.....

For the first time in my life I have put myself in a position to be cooking on an electric range and have been surprised in how little time it takes to cook oatmeal. I am using oatmeal from a 50 pound bag of organic rolled oats. I put a cup of milk in a saucepan, turn the heat to medium, add 1/3 cup oats and cook for 5 minutes after it comes to a simmer. I then add maple syrup and cinnamon.

For the first time in my life I have put myself in a position to be cooking on an electric range and have been surprised in how little time it takes to cook oatmeal. I am using oatmeal from a 50 pound bag of organic rolled oats. I put a cup of milk in a saucepan, turn the heat to medium, add 1/3 cup oats and cook for 5 minutes after it comes to a simmer. I then add maple syrup and cinnamon.

Are you now at a significantly different altitude, Beth? That makes a difference in timing, too!

Are you now at a significantly different altitude, Beth? That makes a difference in timing, too!

I am and I don't understand what that means. I have noticed it takes longer to reheat things in the microwave, but boiling water seems to take less time. And it is customary when eating in a resturant to begin eating immediately when you are served because hot foods cool off rapidly. The only baking I have attempted is brownies:chef: and they turned out fine.:)

I am and I don't understand what that means. I have noticed it takes longer to reheat things in the microwave, but boiling water seems to take less time. And it is customary when eating in a resturant to begin eating immediately when you are served because hot foods cool off rapidly. The only baking I have attempted is brownies:chef: and they turned out fine.:)

Less air pressure at higher altitude, water boils faster. Quick bread need a boost in leavening over 3700' and yeast products may not work the same for you. I had an adjustment coming from a higher to a lower altitude...:) Look online for high altitude tips for baking, which is what seems to be effected the most.

I have a bowl of "Old Fashioned Rolled Oats" every morning and it takes very little time or effort -- 1/2 cups to 1 cup water, heating on med/high for 5-6 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.

For those that like the "Quick Cooking" variety I use the same measurements but the cooking time is reduced to about 1 minute or so. Texture is a little less but still okay.

I'm not patient enough to do Irish (Steel Cut) Oats on the stove so I make in the CrockPot in a large batch and then freeze in single portions for future meals.

Many, many moons ago I work the overnight shift at a nursing home. One of my jobs was to set up for breakfast. That including preparing the oatmeal. Put the specified amount in the large pot and fill with water. Let sit. Morning shift would come in and cook it. I am not sure what the soaking overnight did, but even the helped liked it better. According to the kitchen staff, it cooked faster. I do know that they used Old Fashion Quaker Oats. :angel:

I've never made instant oats. I either simmer it slowly with water and salt for about 30 minutes and stir in some butter or I soak the oats overnight and simmer for 10 minutes in the same way.
If you soak your oats they cook faster and you get the same result. You can place your oats in a pot, add a pinch of salt and cover with water. Then just turn your stove on in the morning, no need to strain off the soaking water.
I also can't stand the taste of oats cooked without salt. It's like cooking polenta or rice without salt. It tastes raw.

I eat my oats with butter and brown sugar or honey

I eat the old fashioned rolled oats almost every morning.

Here is how I do it, (I like mine on the drier side).

Place 1 cup water in a large cereal bowl, microwavefor 1 1/2 minutes.

Add a rounded 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, microwave for 1 minute more.

Let sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the water.

This results in an oatmeal where the grains are almost separate, I don't stir, I like it less "gluey"

I've never made instant oats. I either simmer it slowly with water and salt for about 30 minutes and stir in some butter or I soak the oats overnight and simmer for 10 minutes in the same way.
If you soak your oats they cook faster and you get the same result. You can place your oats in a pot, add a pinch of salt and cover with water. Then just turn your stove on in the morning, no need to strain off the soaking water.
I also can't stand the taste of oats cooked without salt. It's like cooking polenta or rice without salt. It tastes raw.

I eat my oats with butter and brown sugar or honey
I make mine with all milk or half and half milk and water. Lovely and creamy. And I agree about the salt even though I like my porridge with demerara sugar.

I will only eat steel cut oats and I've never understood why everyone is put off by how long it takes to prepare the quick cooking steel cut oats the old fashioned way, on top of the stove in the morning. It takes less time to cook them than it takes to cook white rice.
Mine is ready in 7 minutes of simmering, and three minutes of resting. No big deal for a superior bowl of goodness.

Last edited:
I will only eat steel cut oats and I've never understood why everyone is put off by how long it takes to prepare the quick cooking steel cut oats the old fashioned way, on top of the stove in the morning. It takes less time to cook them than it takes to cook white rice.
Mine is ready in 7 minutes of simmering, and three minutes of resting. No big deal for a superior bowl of goodness.

For me, the aversion is the time that my brain is not working and I must be able to think to use the stove safely AND the fact that I am on the way to work...time to cook and eat is limited. I am NOT a morning person.

I make steel cut oats for the week and only have to warm them in the microwave. No problem.

For me, the aversion is the time that my brain is not working and I must be able to think to use the stove safely AND the fact that I am on the way to work...time to cook and eat is limited. I am NOT a morning person.

I make steel cut oats for the week and only have to warm them in the microwave. No problem.

I'm with PF, I really shouldn't be using a stove first thing in the morning, a toaster is pushing it.

I just do old fashioned oats in the microwave. Never cared much for instant or quick. I do love steel cut and make that on occasion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom