Now what? Any Suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Last fall I bought a turban squash since I never ate one before. It sat was a centerpiece on my kitchen table for months ( still trying to figure out what to do with it). Eventually it dried up and I had to throw it away ( on the compost pile). When I tossed I on the pile, it cracked open and a bunch of seeds fell out. I figured, what the heck, let me grab a few seeds and plant them to see what happens. Sure enough, the plants get like crazy, and now I have a half dozen of these nice looking squashes, and looking for suggestions on how to prepare it. I assume it tastes like a ' squash'. but curious of any recipes or ideas for this kind of squash's.

Its such a nice looking squash, almost aa shame to cut it up. I think that why I left its on the kitchen for so long, cause it looked nice was aan autumn centerpiece. Never knew they were so easy to grow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.10.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 9.10.43 PM.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 28
Turbine squash has the texture of winter squadhes, i.e. sweet dumpling, acorn, etc. and can be cooked the same way. One of my favorites was to cut a hole in the top, as you would a pumpkin, remove the seeds, fil with a savory ground beef, and wild rice filling, and baked until the meat was 160' F. in the center. Another great use is to peel it, cut into cubes, toss in oil, salt pepper, and papprica, place on foil lined cookie sheet, and roasted until lightly browned.

The squash is good mashed, or pureed, and served with butter, as a side dish. It's also geat made into soup, os as a cubed ingtedient in soups. Use it anywhere you would use an acorn squash.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Since squash keeps for a few months, you can dice it and add it to soups and stews. A small dice will cook faster than small dice potatoes so add them about 20 minutes before the end of cooking. I use them for the Greek Lemon Spinach Lentil Soup. I put squash in a Farro stew.

They aren't easy to peel, so cut into slabs and bake with the peel, then peel after baking.

I also use cooked squash (butternut often but any kind will do), a cup added to breads and cookies (oatmeal) for moisture. Cooked squash in 1 cup containers freezes and thaws fine.

Chunks of squash can be glazed in honey/molasses/soy sauce/ginger/garlic kind of sauce for a side dish.

It can be cooked and then dehydrated in 1/2 thick slabs/chunks, on parchment, then kept in glass jars for long term storage. To rehydrate, add 1 cup of squash chips to 2-3 cups of water, in a blender, let sit to thicken. Or add the chips to water, let sit to rehydrate, then process in a food processor. I use this in making a crustless 'pumpkin' pie, and in a pinch for breads and cookies.

Save the seeds, dry for planting or seed trading next year. The seeds are edible, can be baked with salt, soy sauce, or salt water, for snacking.

Back
Top Bottom