Not Sealed, Freeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockergirl

Assistant Cook
I canned a couple of rounds yesterday and my last batch I used a mix of the ball lids and Tattler lids. I've never had a failure with the Tattlers before but I was rushed and I forgot to tighten the lid immediately after removing from canner. This morning, I woke up and discovered it not sealed, about 15.5 hours after I removed from canner. I know we can stick in the fridge and use immediately, but is it okay to freeze it instead (diced tomatoes)? I don't want to restart the canner over 2 cans.

Two containers ... You're most likely going to use it in the near future anyway so I would refrigerate. I have had good results freezing tomatoes ... they retained their color and firm texture.

Would you be freezing in the glass jars that you canned them in? I have had glass jars break in the freezer, even when I left plenty of head room.

I had considered freezing in the jar, but those ones are pretty close to full....actually didn't lose the head space on those two, during processing. Thinking it would probably be better in freezer bags. It sounds like no they should be okay to freeze, should be safe (in bags) and no mushy yucky texture. I would eat this week and not worry about it, but my week is a little wonky and won't be able to use...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom