Not a pizza, pizza bread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I made a “pizza bread” for a friend. I didn’t get a chance to taste it for myself, but the aroma was nourishing all by itself. An Italian seven cheese blend, good pepperoni, dried onions, oregano, garlic salt rounded out the taste (I assume). It was missing one thing. Tomatoes. I thought about adding sun-dried tomatoes, but I want a tomato taste that’s more pervasive. If I add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to the dough, will it change the ratios? Less liquid? Less sugar?

I think it’s become very clear that I’m a newbie at bread making!

I made a “pizza bread” for a friend. I didn’t get a chance to taste it for myself, but the aroma was nourishing all by itself. An Italian seven cheese blend, good pepperoni, dried onions, oregano, garlic salt rounded out the taste (I assume). It was missing one thing. Tomatoes. I thought about adding sun-dried tomatoes, but I want a tomato taste that’s more pervasive. If I add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste to the dough, will it change the ratios? Less liquid? Less sugar?

I think it’s become very clear that I’m a newbie at bread making!

That sounds interesting. Did you post the recipe in the breads section? We would love to take a look at it and maybe try to make it ourselves.

Sounds like you made a focaccia.
It wasn’t really a focaccia, it was a soft loaf that I baked on the “soft” cycle. I was too lazy to make it in the dough cycle, then roll it out, form it, let it proof again, then finally bake it in the oven. I usually enjoy all of that, but it was just too much trouble the other day. And the bread was for our dog groomer, so I didn’t feel any “knead” to go the extra mile!

That sounds interesting. Did you post the recipe in the breads section? We would love to take a look at it and maybe try to make it ourselves.
I thought this was the bread forum!

Here’s my recipe. I adapted it from a recipe on Genius Kitchen - Have Your Food And Watch It, Too

The link to the original recipe:
Pepperoni Pizza Bread For The Bread Machine Recipe - Genius Kitchen

And here’s how I made it:
1 cup + 2 tablespoons whole milk heated to between 80° and 90° F
2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
I added these ingredients to the bread pan first, then I whisked the dry ingredients together:
3 1/4 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried onion
After adding the dry ingredients to the bread pan, make a little well and add:
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Set the machine to “sweet,” “soft,” or “basic.” (I used the sweet setting, for what reason I don’t know). Add the cheese and pepperoni at the “add ingredients” beep. (I found that the machine needed a little hands-on help to get the pepperoni mixed into the dough; it’s such a hard, dry meat you may want to add it at the beginning of the cycle.) Remove the loaf from the the bread pan and let cool on a cooling rack, on its side (I know that sounds weird, but it helps to keep the loaf from collapsing).

Do you think that adding tomato paste to the wet ingredients, say 1 tablespoon, would change the ratios any? I think it would give the bread a unique, attractive color, and the tomato taste that’s missing. I thought about sun dried tomatoes, but was wary of adding more dry ingredients that would sap out the liquid.

Last edited:
224B98BF-7E88-48E8-8FC4-67C5B272E152.jpg
So, here’s the final pizza bread product. It’s really delicious. I’ve posted the final version of my recipe on my blog (is any recipe ever “final”?): https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
I am going to make this again, but next time, I think I’ll use the dough cycle and then stuff and shape the bread and bake it in the oven.

If you try this, please let me know how it comes out, and tell me about any improvements you made!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom