Nija air frying chips.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi I have been playing with my new Ninja air fryer. No problems with bought McCainn oven chips. I have tried cutting up potatoes but I am still having problems getting it right. I have tried 180c @ 18 minutes. Still not right. Any better figures to play with, and what is the Max crisp setting. Can I use this instead? Can someone explain the difference for me?

TIA

Desmond

I don't have the same airfryer as you have...and I'm guessing that you are referencing what we (USA) might call "French Fries"...and not homemade potato chips (thin round slices)...that said, do you do anything other than cut them up & toss them into the airfryer? Like soak them in cold water first? Spray them with some oil or non-stick stuff? Turn or shake them at some point?

Hoping someone else will be along soon, as I prefer my wall/convection oven for fries and chips, as the airfryer just doesn't make enough for the two of us.

I was wondering about that too, the part about the cut up potatoes.

I think they need to be pre-cooked, like when making French fries / chips at home.

The North American term "potato chips" or just "chips" is what Brits call "potato crisps" or just "crisps".

Last edited:
Hi. I am in the UK. What I mean by chip is peeled potatoes and cut lenghtways to about a size of `0mm x 10mm x 80mm. The size we have when going out and buying fish and chips.
As you called it "homemade potato chips"

Well I tried making home made chips in the Ninja (That’s cut up potatoes in the UK). I have been very disappointed with the results. I have tried oven chips which are thin like McDonalds and they were nice. Tried larger ones also. So unless someone has a recipe for home made oven chips, I will have to buy them in that way.

@larry_stewart makes his own oven fries. Here's his description in a post:

In the link it explains how he makes his home fries. He also included a link to a web site that also explains, with pictures. I'll repost this link as I can see why taxy's is a bit confusing as the original post was about something else.

Freeze and Cook - your own fries

Hope this helps. It isn't necessary have to freeze your chips but you should parboil and shock them.

Back
Top Bottom