Newbie Question for experienced keto eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

watsonlarson

Assistant Cook
I have been eating keto lifestyle now for over 2 years but has only been the last year Ive started using a blood meter to monitor after having weight gain and water retention yo yo regardless that I keep my eating clean. What I am confused about it not seeming to get high numbers or even hold ketosis during certain times of month (during my period numbers are nil). Im 43 hours into a fast and still only showing as .4 usually after 120hours I can get to as high as 4.0 but as soon as I eat the number plumet until Im out again. I eat well under 20 total carbs, zero processed foods/sauces, no sweetners or extras. I eat meat, eggs and fat omad. I can fast for days so sure there is some fat adaption but yet no weight loss. What am I doing wrong? I honestly dont understand these keto numbers other than Im supposed to aim for 1.5 which for me seems impossible to hold.

Welcome to DC.

I followed the Keto diet for a couple of years. It worked great for me, but it was also very hard for me to keep following. I did not fast though.

A few questions that I have: Are you getting enough fats in? What are your daily macros? For me, my macros were 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein, about 5% carbs. I would start my day with a fat bomb and bulletproof coffee. Then my numbers would look great all day.

Too much protein will knock you out of ketosis. Fat is about 9 calories/gram, carbs and protein about 4 cal/gram. Fat is a much denser fuel, so you have to force or trick your body into burning it instead of the others, which are less dense and burn more readily. Cut back on protein and use mct oil or coconut oil to jumpstart ketosis.

The fluctuations in ketone levels, especially during your menstrual cycle, can be perplexing. I've had similar experiences myself.

What I've found is that it's not just about the numbers on the meter but how you feel overall. Sometimes, the scale and ketone readings might not reflect your body's true progress. It's crucial to focus on overall health and well-being rather than just the numbers. If you're still facing challenges with weight loss and ketosis, seeking guidance from a fitness studio like Hitsona could be beneficial. They often provide tailored advice and support that can help you navigate the intricacies o

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been eating keto lifestyle now for over 2 years but has only been the last year Ive started using a blood meter to monitor after having weight gain and water retention yo yo regardless that I keep my eating clean. What I am confused about it not seeming to get high numbers or even hold ketosis during certain times of month (during my period numbers are nil). Im 43 hours into a fast and still only showing as .4 usually after 120hours I can get to as high as 4.0 but as soon as I eat the number plumet until Im out again. I eat well under 20 total carbs, zero processed foods/sauces, no sweetners or extras. I eat meat, eggs and fat omad. I can fast for days so sure there is some fat adaption but yet no weight loss. What am I doing wrong? I honestly dont understand these keto numbers other than Im supposed to aim for 1.5 which for me seems impossible to hold.
What fats are you eating? Might consider some coconut oil, mostly medium chain triglycerides, so your body can't store them. When I plateau, I add more coconut oil or some straight MCG oil to jump start ketosis. Welcome aboard!

What is MCG oil?
I think that previous poster meant MCT oil. It stands for "medium chain triglyceride" oil. It's basically an exogenous ketone but a lot cheaper. They're found in the lower end of the fatty acid chain, hence the term medium chain and have a couple of immediate advantages for the body.

1) Bile isn't needed to break down MCT's and gets converted by the liver for immediate energy or get stored as adipose.

2) MCT's also create ketones pretty much immediately which also cross the blood brain barrier and are actually the preferred fuel of the brain, and the heart also like's ketones.

The military and NASA and other extreme environments are testing and using exogenous ketones mostly for the sustained energy while in a ketogenic state and it's cognitive increasing abilities. dietary wise a ketogenic diet helps adjust hormones that effect our hunger, exactly like a GLP-1 for example and the constant steady energy and of course it's effect as a therapeutic intervention for people with metabolic syndrome.

The previous poster also mentioned consuming coconut oil, but that's not the same as a MCT oil, so no, coconut oil will not deliver the same effect even though the MCT are derived from the oil in coconuts.

That's just a quick and basic response to your question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom