Newbie question about Brining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MeatNewb

Assistant Cook
Hey all, signed up just to ask this question.

Been meaning to try curing for a while, have done some research, but after looking at recipes I have some questions that give me pause.

I have a pork loin I want to try turning into a ham. I have some Prague #1, and my math says 2.4 grams of powder to 1 Kilogram meat. This is fine.

When I search for recipes for brining ham, however, I find mostly Food Blog in my returns. Of the ones I've looked through, they call for much higher concentrations of Prague #1 for the brining solution. 50 grams to 4 Litres on one of them.

This is counter-intuitive to me. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but mass is mass, is it not?

1 kilogram, be it meat or water, is 1 kilogram. So why would you use more Prague #1 in the brine than the meat? Should this calculation not simply be based purely on total mass?

For example: If I have 1 kilogram of meat that I will brine in 4 kilograms water, shouldn't I be adding 12 grams Prague #1? 5*2.4=12

Any input is appreciated thanks.

You can dry cure (weight) or wet cure (salt per liquid volume). Wet cure is usually a faster process.

You need to invest in some reputable charcuterie books and/or join reputable forums dedicated to the art, not ask for advice on general cooking forums.

I would not advise trying to turn a pork loin into a ham, using ham formulas. They come from different parts of the pig and have different densities. The ham comes from the leg and has bone, fat, and muscle that gets worked a lot being that it is part of the leg. The loin is from the mid body, back actually, has no bone, little fat, and the muscle is not worked like the leg muscles.

Last edited:
You need to invest in some reputable charcuterie books and/or join reputable forums dedicated to the art, not ask for advice on general cooking forums.

I would not advise trying to turn a pork loin into a ham, using ham formulas. They come from different parts of the pig and have different densities. The ham comes from the leg and has bone, fat, and muscle that gets worked a lot being that it is part of the leg. The loin is from the mid body, back actually, has no bone, little fat, and the muscle is not worked like the leg muscles.
I'm actually headed to the library today to borrow a charcuterie book of good repute.

I believe cured loin is back bacon, although usually you would cook back bacon? Will report results if I end up curing this loin...

Back in 2014 www.splendidtable.org published a recipe from Jacques Pepin. I can see references when I search on the site, but I can't find the content itself. Fortunately, I saved it in Evernote.

Saucisson, a dried sausage of the salami type, is usually made with pork in France. There are dozens of different kinds of saucisson in the markets throughout the country, some smoked, some done only with pork, some made with a mixture of pork and beef, and some containing lamb meat. In Lyon, a special dried sausage used to be made years ago from a combination of donkey meat and pork.

I have made saucisson through the years, putting the meat in casings, drying the sausages out on the porch or in the refrigerator. I have made them small, long, and fat as well as skinny. When stuffing the mixture by hand into pork casings, there are often pockets of air, and the saucisson gets dark spots as it dries out.

A few years ago at a market in Provence, I saw sliced saucisson that looked like thinly sliced, very lean prosciutto, and I realized that it was done with a whole pork tenderloin. This is what I have been making since then. It is easy to make, the meat dries beautifully, and it is the leanest dried sausage one can have.

Buy the largest pork tenderloins you can find at the market, ones that weigh a pound or more. I cut about 3 inches off their tails and sauté these end pieces for dinner. The rest of the fillet should be about 2 inches in diameter and close to a foot long.

Saucisson, a dried sausage of the salami type, is usually made with pork in France. There are dozens of different kinds of saucisson in the markets throughout the country, some smoked, some done only with pork, some made with a mixture of pork and beef, and some containing lamb meat. In Lyon, a special dried sausage used to be made years ago from a combination of donkey meat and pork.

I have made saucisson through the years, putting the meat in casings, drying the sausages out on the porch or in the refrigerator. I have made them small, long, and fat as well as skinny. When stuffing the mixture by hand into pork casings, there are often pockets of air, and the saucisson gets dark spots as it dries out.

A few years ago at a market in Provence, I saw sliced saucisson that looked like thinly sliced, very lean prosciutto, and I realized that it was done with a whole pork tenderloin. This is what I have been making since then. It is easy to make, the meat dries beautifully, and it is the leanest dried sausage one can have.

Buy the largest pork tenderloins you can find at the market, ones that weigh a pound or more. I cut about 3 inches off their tails and sauté these end pieces for dinner. The rest of the fillet should be about 2 inches in diameter and close to a foot long.

Remove any silver skin from 2 pork tenderloins, each about 1 pound, and cut 2 to 3 inches off the tails, reserving them for another use. Put 1 cup of kosher salt in a plastic storage bag (or use 1/2 cup of Morton Tender Quick Curing Salt,) which has a curing agent that keeps the meat beautifully pink. If this is unavailable, however, substitute a cup of regular kosher salt. Add 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar to the salt in the bag, and mix well. Slide the tenderloins into the bag, close tightly, and shake to coat the meat with the salt mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

After 12 hours or so, remove the tenderloins from the bag, and wipe them dry with paper towels. Rub the meat with about 1 tablespoon of cognac, and sprinkle on about 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper and 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence, dividing it between the two tenderloins.

Wrap each piece of meat in a cloth to protect it from insects, tie it with kitchen twine, and hang in an area where there is good air circulation, like a cellar with a window that can be opened, or a porch. This is best done in cooler weather, but if that is not the case, place the tenderloins in your refrigerator on a rack where the air can circulate around them.

The tenderloins will dry out in five to six weeks. I like them when they are still a little soft, not too dry. Slice very thinly, and enjoy with bread and butter and a cool glass of wine.
Remove any silver skin from 2 pork tenderloins, each about 1 pound, and cut 2 to 3 inches off the tails, reserving them for another use. Put 1 cup of kosher salt in a plastic storage bag (or use 1/2 cup of Morton Tender Quick Curing Salt,) which has a curing agent that keeps the meat beautifully pink. If this is unavailable, however, substitute a cup of regular kosher salt. Add 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar to the salt in the bag, and mix well. Slide the tenderloins into the bag, close tightly, and shake to coat the meat with the salt mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

After 12 hours or so, remove the tenderloins from the bag, and wipe them dry with paper towels. Rub the meat with about 1 tablespoon of cognac, and sprinkle on about 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper and 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence, dividing it between the two tenderloins.

Wrap each piece of meat in a cloth to protect it from insects, tie it with kitchen twine, and hang in an area where there is good air circulation, like a cellar with a window that can be opened, or a porch. This is best done in cooler weather, but if that is not the case, place the tenderloins in your refrigerator on a rack where the air can circulate around them.

The tenderloins will dry out in five to six weeks. I like them when they are still a little soft, not too dry. Slice very thinly, and enjoy with bread and butter and a cool glass of wine.
I've made this a few times using the refrigerator method. It's good and very simple.

Most people prefer to cook any kind of bacon. Though technically you could eat it raw, I personally do not know anyone who would.

Ham and bacon are different so not sure why you brought up bacon when your original post was about ham. Hams that are not cooked before eating, like prosciutto or serrano, are cured, hung, and allowed to dry for a very long time. That kind of ham is not really something that should be undertaken by a newbie given the multiple parameters that need to be monitored.

Yes, back bacon is made from pork loin (not from pork tenderloin). It can be smoked. I don't know about in North America, but in Denmark it is served cooked or uncooked, as a cold cut. I'm pretty sure they only use the smoked one uncooked, but I don't remember for sure.

Back in 2014 www.splendidtable.org published a recipe from Jacques Pepin. I can see references when I search on the site, but I can't find the content itself. Fortunately, I saved it in Evernote.

I've made this a few times using the refrigerator method. It's good and very simple.
Jacques used pork tenderloins, which are much smaller than pork loins. Therefore, amounts and times are going to be way off.

The article may have been removed because of age or may have been removed regarding food safety concerns and liability.

When making charcuterie, there are all kinds of rules that must be followed to ensure you end up with a product that is safe to eat. Honestly, back when I was dabbling in charcuterie, I followed all the rules scrupulously and would always eat a small amount at least a day before serving it to anyone else just to make sure it was okay to eat. I NEVER wanted to be responsible for making someone else ill.

@thymeless Thank you for that info from Jacques Pépin. I might just give it a try. It does sound a lot easier than stuffing a casing. I do want to do a bit of research about how to make sure that is safe.

Yes, back bacon is made from pork loin (not from pork tenderloin). It can be smoked. I don't know about in North America, but in Denmark it is served cooked or uncooked, as a cold cut. I'm pretty sure they only use the smoked one uncooked, but I don't remember for sure.
Depending on whether it is cold or hot smoked, and how long, it may be considered as cooked.

Depending on whether it is cold or hot smoked, and how long, it may be considered as cooked.
You are correct. I keep forgetting about hot smoking. The Danish one can be hot or cold smoked. The cold smoked one has the same texture as prosciutto. I have had it. It was delicious.

We make tasso ham and andouille sausage occasionally still, then hot smoke them. The tasso ham gets a spice cure packed on thick slices of pork loin or pork shoulder, are wrapped, then go into refrigerator for 7 to 10 days. The sausage mixture gets made up the night before, refrigerated, then stuffed and smoked next day.

We also make corned beef and sauerbraten, which are, of course, beef, but both go into a brine for anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.

I'm just not interested enough in cooking anymore to mess with anything other than the above, but always follow all the cleanliness, temperature, proper recipe proportions exactly.

20b0f849-9d12-4322-b4c5-f857c242b996

I know the loin and tender loin are different. I posted too give you an option for the future.

20b0f849-9d12-4322-b4c5-f857c242b996

I know the loin and tender loin are different. I posted too give you an option for the future.
I mentioned the difference because some people confuse the two. I figured you knew, but I didn't want other people reading this thread to think we were saying that they are the same.

Back
Top Bottom