New York Style pizza crust recipe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flour 00 is key ingredient to a thin crispy pizza crust ...
( the product is called ZERO ZERO FLOUR )

Happy Holidays.

Sorry, I cannot post my dough recipe as I am in Gargano and do not have my pizza recipes with me ... I shall be home on Tuesday ...

Margi.

Last edited:
Cintrano´s Pizza Dough

Good afternoon, Barry,

As stated here is the Pizza dough recipe requested ...

PIZZA DOUGH

1 1/3 cup warm water 115 farenheit degrees

1 package active yeast

3 cups all purpose Or Zero Zero Flour ( this flour is used by: Chef Mario Batali - NYC ); plus extra flour for kneading

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. Evoo

DOUGH BY HAND ( I prefer to make my dough via hand )

1. in a large bowl, combine the water and the yeast
and then whisk until the yeast dissolves

2. in another bowl, combine flour and salt

3. gradually, add yeast to mixture and stirring with wooden spoon, until dough is a soft form

4. turn dough out on lightly floured surface and with lightly floured hands,
knead until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes.

LET THE DOUGH RISE IN WARM CORNER WITHOUT DRAFTS

1. lightly oil a large bowl

2. add dough and turning several times, to oil top

3. cover with plastic and wrap and let rise in a warm corner without drafts is quintessential

4. *** One and 1/2 hours the pizza shall double in bulk

5. punch down the dough

*** This amount makes 2 pizzas or 4 calzones

Kindest.
Margi Cintrano.

Thank you!!

I will probably make this recipe in the next couple days. So we can have it for the weekend.

The great thing about practicing this is the fact that the ingredients are cheap and it pretty much still taste pretty dang good.

B

@ Barry,

Great news ... If I were you, I would try it out with the Zero Zero Flour which is what Chef Mario Batali uses and recommends --- then try it with All Purpose, and see which crust texture you prefer .. It is sort of subjective ...

Remember, warm without drafts ...

This is simple, and I am sure you won´t have any probs getting a great NYC crust ...

Have a nice week and let us know which you prefer ...

Margi.

@ Steve and @ Barry: Port Huron, M.I.

00 Flour can be hard to come by in the states. However, if you have a retailer that sells King Arthur products, they have an Italian style flour which is about as close as you can get. You can also order it online from their website here...

King Arthur Italian-Style Flour - 3 lb.

@ Steve and @ Barry:

Good afternoon,

Firstly, Steve, Thanks for the King Arthur Flour information source...

Interesting is that I noticed Barry lives in Port Huron, Michigan and Chef Mario Batali has a home very close to Port Huron ... there was an article on his love of Michigan and furthermore, this area has many Italian Americans with vacation homes in this town ... So, this is positive, on Italian Trattorias and restaurants and of course Italian Deli and Markets ...

Also, I wanted to mention Semolina Flour ... another alternative ... Though the crust would be coarser ....

Thanks for posting.

Margi.

Last edited:
Typically 00 flour isn't used unless you have a minimum of 700 degrees to bake with. I'd go with king Arthur bread flour or gold medal "better for bread flour".

Barry,

Thanks for reply ... Perhaps, an idea that may be fruitful is to: go to a couple of Pizzerias or Trattorias in the zone --- and ask the Cooks which flour they use ... and / or observe if possible the packaging ... Normally it is not hard to do in a pizzeria ...

Hope your pizza comes out delightfully ...
Margi.

I'm trying to get a decent pizza, but I'm too lazy... The first time, I used a ready dough to prepare the sfinciune, but it's not a standard pizza. Last week I tried a "ready" flour, but I didn't get a good pizza out of it. Now I understand I have to work hard, make my dough, let it rest, and be patient. The main issue is the oven: I don't think you can make a "real" pizza in a standard home oven. Anyone here using those pizza stones?

@ Barry,

Firstly, the K.A. is highly recommended ...

I believe the town in which Chef Mario Batali has a home is called: Traverse, M. I.

Are you familar with this seaside town ?

Pizzerias also use a 4 cup, all purpose flour to a 1 cup semolina flour ...

Kind regards.
Margi.

@ Luca,

You are a Lombardian ! What do you mean, you cannot wait for the dough to rise and keep the dough warm and free from drafts ?

Remember haste makes waste !

I would love to have a Pizza Stone, and a real wood burning Pizza Oven. However, this is another level ...

Kindest.
Margi.

I'm trying to get a decent pizza, but I'm too lazy... The first time, I used a ready dough to prepare the sfinciune, but it's not a standard pizza. Last week I tried a "ready" flour, but I didn't get a good pizza out of it. Now I understand I have to work hard, make my dough, let it rest, and be patient. The main issue is the oven: I don't think you can make a "real" pizza in a standard home oven. Anyone here using those pizza stones?
We use a pizza stone. When properly preheated the stone temp can be up to 50*F than the oven temperature setting.

@ Luca,

You are a Lombardian ! What do you mean, you cannot wait for the dough to rise and keep the dough warm and free from drafts ?

Remember haste makes waste !

I would love to have a Pizza Stone, and a real wood burning Pizza Oven. However, this is another level ...

Kindest.
Margi.

Yes, I'm a northener, more on the polenta side then pizza... :LOL: And I'm not a patient man: better a pasta today then a pizza tomorrow!

We use a pizza stone. When properly preheated the stone temp can be up to 50*F than the oven temperature setting.

Thanks Justplainbill, I will get one and see if I can convert myself to the magic world of home pizzaioli :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom