New to Instant pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocksister

Assistant Cook
Hello! I bought an IP 3 qt several weeks ago and I'm a bit intimidated by it. I've only made baked potatoes in it. I'm hoping this forum will increase my confidence. I'm retired and live alone so the 3 qt is perfect for me.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. There are a number of members here who use Instant Pots. I think we have a forum for that.

Welcome to the forum!

What is it that intimidates you about it? You've already done one thing I haven't in it - the baked potatoes - but I have done countless things in it, some one dish meals, sometimes just cooking an ingredient, like the barley I cooked tonight, for another dish. And I use it a lot in the summer, as it puts out less heat than my range.

Here's that forum that TL referred to, with a lot of threads on different things made with the IP.

Thanks for your replies! The baked potato recipe was a very basic thing. Put the potatoes on the rack with water in the bottom and set for 20 minutes. It told me every move to make. Until I get confident, that's the type of recipes I need. The owners manual didn't have a single recipe. So the pot sat unused for weeks. I'll check out the link. Thanks again!

i love mine! but you cant bake anything in it. It cooks with steam. So my potatoes still go in the oven.

NEVER use Pinterest recipes. They are very often written by people who do not understand even the basics about an Instant Pot.

Use recipes that are tested by smart people.

Jill Nussinow "This Old Gal" is an expert. Here are her recipes https://thisoldgal.com/category/allrecipes/pressurecooking/

Jeffrey at Pressure Luck is another expert with great recipes. https://pressureluckcooking.com/recipes/

Almost all of them will be for a 6 quart pot, though. so you will need to learn how to adjust them.

Try stew. Hard cooked eggs. Beets. Dry beans. All easy and fabulous in an IP.

Im a good cook and very skillful with an IP so PM me with questions.

Oh my goodness, I didn't expect to get this level of help in a forum! Thanks so much! I agree, I wasn't happy with the baked potatoes, not fluffy on the inside. I bought an IP cookbook and it was worthless. I'll check out these links pronto! 👏

Back
Top Bottom