New to forum and sous vide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dyzzie

Assistant Cook
Hello to all, looking forward to this community's offerings. Retired, Viet Nam vet with 6 grandkids and two each grown daughters and sons. On dad for New Years Day dinner with my new Inkbird sous vidi. Help!

Welcome to the forum!

Can't help much with the sous vide - I haven't used mine much, but Andy and a number of others can help you, and have posted their experiences before, which is what got me interested in getting one!

Have a 14.5lb pork butt to sous vidi for family New Years Day dinner. Joule recommends 139 degree temperature. Meat is prepped, seasoned and bag. Any ideas on cooking time. Youtube reviews are all over the board from 3 to 48 hours. Any accurate personal information or locations for cook times would be greatly appreciated.

Time goes by thickness in sous vide. The minimum is about 1 hour per inch of thickness to get it up to temperature. After that, the rest of the time determines tenderness. If it's a very tender cut of meat, the minimum time will be all you need. But for a large piece with lots of different muscles and tendons, you could need double or triple or more that minimum time to make it tender. That's why you see different times. So if you roast is 6 inches thick, it would take 6 hours just to heat up,, but 12-18 hours to get tender enough for your satisfaction.

I'm looking at the Joule app for pork shoulder and it recommends two temperatures, 140º and 176º. They prefer the 176º temperature. For both temps, they suggest an 8 hour cook time.

Also, 14.5 pounds is huge for a pork butt. They usually run 8 pounds or less.

I also looked at the Anova app and they suggest either 145º or 165º for 18 hours.

The long cooking times are to break down and tenderize the connective tissue in the shoulder.

By the way, if you are looking for the most trustworthy information on sous vide cooking, look for J. Kenji Alt-Lopez, Doug Baldwin, or Jason Logsdon. They are considered the experts. Most of all the "rules" we all follow originated from one of them.

Back
Top Bottom