New Favorite Fruits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I purchased dried wild blueberries for a recipe of stuffed pork chops. I tasted a couple of the unsweetened berries. They were really good. The flavor wasn't diluted like the often over watered blueberries from the grocers. It was more concentrated.

Today, I added a couple tbs. of dried blueberries, and small dice dried apple to my oatmeal, as it was cooking, with a touch of brown sugar, and cinnamon. My hot cereal was truly elevated.

I have also had dried mango, peaches, cherries, even rhubarb. They are great for snacking on, or as additions to homemade protein, or snack bars, cookies, adding to cakes, pancakes, waffles, muffins, etc.. Dried fruits are great, and very versatile.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I buy the dried wild blueberries too.
You can get wild or cultivated, organic or not, and sweetened w/apple juice or not. (edited to add: with or without oil coating them)
I use them in pancakes, less messy like @Cooking Goddess says. They are very rich in flavor.
I add them to some of my christmas fruitcakes soaking briefly in whiskey or bourbon.

Last edited:
the past year in the US blue berry harvest was exceptional and started using them in a morning smoothie w/apple juice/Brazil nuts/electrolytes/collagen peptides. came to India and had to substitute fresh blue berries with dehydrated berries, the taste is still there .....

I buy frozen fruits i.e. peaches, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, and use them to make my breakfast protein shake. Put one cup of ice, one cup of frozen fruit in the blender and hit the ICE CRUSH button. Then add 1/3 cup plain yogurt, 1/3 cup milk, and one scoop of whey protein and run the blender again on MIX until smooth.

I get little fruit cups in my Traditions meals box from Serving Seniors and I was wondering why the tropical fruit salad is packed with pineapple juice, while the pineapple tidbits are packed in pear juice concentrate. Like Seinfeld says, "What's up with that?"

given the question is not esoteric.... cost / availability, far more grape, pear juice for sweeteners ....cutting up oranges and grapefruit into blender w / rind adding honey to taste huge vitamin c and refrigerated life is several weeks

Back
Top Bottom