Need Substitute for Chili Peppers/Chili Powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I am allergic, ana allergic, to chili peppers and must avoid the whole chili pepper family. I Love chili and tacos and pizza etc, but can no longer have most commercial types of these. I am trying to come up with ways to do these all from scratch, no premixes or spice packets.

CJ, allergic.............

Chili Powder has powdered chili peppers in it as a main ingredient. Kaddehawk has indicated allergy to chili peppers.

I presume the allergy is to Capsaicin

Capsaicin /ˌkæpˈseˌɪ.sɪn/ (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) is the active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum. It is an irritant for mammals, including humans, and produces a sensation of burning in any tissue with which it comes into contact. Capsaicin and several related compounds are called capsaicinoids and are produced as a secondary metabolite by chili peppers, probably as deterrents against herbivores. Pure capsaicin is a hydrophobic, colorless, odorless, crystalline to waxy compound.

Kadde, I haven't read all the posts in depth, but the cinnamon you suggest, with some allspice and a few more will give you "Cincinnati Chili", a real Midwest staple. No, it will not be "Texas chili" but without the chili, you are not going to get that flavor, anyway. So go for the real Midwest treat of Cincinnati chili. If you are trying for that southwest flavor, use a lot of cumin. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize how much of the flavor they enjoy in Tex-Mex food is really cumin, not chilies.

Kadde, I haven't read all the posts in depth, but the cinnamon you suggest, with some allspice and a few more will give you "Cincinnati Chili", a real Midwest staple. No, it will not be "Texas chili" but without the chili, you are not going to get that flavor, anyway. So go for the real Midwest treat of Cincinnati chili. If you are trying for that southwest flavor, use a lot of cumin. You'd be surprised how many people don't realize how much of the flavor they enjoy in Tex-Mex food is really cumin, not chilies.

You can get the flavor of Texas Chili very easily by just omitting the chile pepper and using all the other flavorings. It just won't have the heat.

I've had some Skyline Chili and have to say that I don't care that much for the flavor, but then again I hate nutmeg in alfredo and other savory cooking. I know a lot of people love it though, so I go fo it and see what you think.

Word to the cumin being a huge flavor component.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom