Need Substitute for Chili Peppers/Chili Powder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaddehawk

Senior Cook
Does anyone know of a good substitute for chili peppers/chili powder? I use cinnamon and cloves instead of crushed red pepper in spaghetti sauce, but I'm not sure it would work for chili.

Kadde

Are you looking for a substitute because you don't like chili peppers or chili powder or are you just looking for an alternative just for the heck of it?

Last edited:
:) Actually you dont hafto put any pepper in your spaghetti sauce if you dont want to I might add a bit more basil or basil pesto.

Substitute for chili peppers

I love the "bite" you get from chili powder and chili peppers. The cinnamon clove combo gives some of that to the spaghetti sauce tho not as much as crushed red pepper would. I may also try that for pizza sauces. I can use pepper made from peppercorns since they are a different plant, at least so far... so I am playing around with that. But they don't seem to be as good as chili powder or crushed red pepper for chili. Cumin is definately a partial answer, but there is still something missing. So the hunt goes on! lol

Kadde

The hot or the intense taste produced by the different types of chili or the fruits under the Genus Capsicum is due to the presence of varios chemicals like capsaicin and other related chemicals, they are collectively named as capsaicinoids.

Capsaicinoids is absent in other fruit, exact substitute of chili is not possible.

If you like the "bite" from chili powder & chili peppers, why are you looking for a substitute?

To be honest, nothing turns me off more than to find cinnamon in pasta sauces, even tho I know that many recipes ask for it. In fact, we stopped patronizing a local Italian restaurant back in NY because they started adding cinnamon to all their tomato-based sauces. Granted, it's a personal preference, but if you like pepper, why oh why are you looking for subs - especially subs like cinnamon & cloves which aren't even close in taste to the peppers? I don't understand.

Kadehawk, I get the impression from your second post that you are allergic to peppers. Is that the reason for your seeking a substitute?

Andy - I think you may be on to something.

It always helps if we know the full story when looking for answers. Otherwise we're all just sitting here wondering why you want a substitute and coming up with things that still may not be suitable due to an allergy.

If you are allergic to chili peppers we need to know that :chef:

You are trying to make chili without chili powder? Because you are allergic to peppers?

Chili powder is a blend of dry chiles, cumin, garlic and mexican oregano. You can use the other 3 spices to give your chile taste without using peppers.

Yes, I am allergic, ana allergic, to chili peppers and must avoid the whole chili pepper family. I Love chili and tacos and pizza etc, but can no longer have most commercial types of these. I am trying to come up with ways to do these all from scratch, no premixes or spice packets.

Some spice mixes are very good. The ones from Penzey's for example.

Dry red chile powder or peppers are not really needed in spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce, so I would just leave them out.

As far as chili goes, like I said, you can buy and use the ingredients for chili powder and leave out the chile pepper. Adding chocolate, beer and even coffee can deepen the taste of chili and black pepper can give it some "bite"

How about Szechuan pepper, horseradish and ginger? Or peppermint extract? Like those Red Hot candies.

Not mixed together, obviously.

Last edited:
Horseradish and ginger are great ideas, Jeekinz.

Chopped green onions will also add some heat. You can use some in the cooking, and add a few more at the very last.

Black pepper is good, but we also really like white pepper.

scezwaun pepper is very sharp with a minty aftertaste that I don't think would taste good in chili Chili powdwer and chili peppers are a breed of there own and I don't know or can not think of a good sub Good Luck

Have you tried with allspice (bayberry, Jamaica pepper; in German:. Neue Wûrze, Neugezviïrz, Nelkenpfeffer, Englisch-Gezotirz, Jarnaikapfeffer, Spezereipfeffer; in French: piment des Anglais, piment de la Jamaïque, toute-épice)? It's less aromatic than cinnamon, and resembles to chili more than common black, white or red pepper.

These are some good ideas, thankyou. I have some allspice, I think, have to check. The cinnamon & clove combo came out nice in spaghetti sauce. I'm tired of eating pot pie while the rest eat chili -lol, I'm going to try some of these ideas soon. I'll let you know how they work out!

I would try using Wasabi powder combined with cumin, onion and garlic powder. That should give you the bite you are looking for. Just be easy with the cumin or it could go bitter on you.

Does anyone know of a good substitute for chili peppers/chili powder? I use cinnamon and cloves instead of crushed red pepper in spaghetti sauce, but I'm not sure it would work for chili.

Kadde
I'm wondering why you have chiles and chili powder in the same breath? They are NOT from the same product. Chili powder has lots of spices in it, and lord knows how many ppm of insect parts... :ohmy:

Are you looking for something to use that is not "hot?"

Back
Top Bottom