Need info on substituting a sauce for an Asian dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I just recently came across a recipe for cashew chicken that sounds wonderful. One of the ingredients is chili garlic sauce. I don't have that but I do have regular bottled chili sauce. I don't want to buy something I won't use very often and I'm wondering if I could simply smush, technical term, some fresh garlic and add it to the plain chili sauce.

What say you?

No! They are nothing alike. Your asian dish will taste like ketchup.

Most supermarkets carry asian chili garlic sauce. Its very versatile and lasts for a long time in the fridge.

I can't find any proper, Asian, chili garlic sauce at the grocery stores that I use for delivery. This reminded me that I want some. So, I did an internet search. This looks pretty good to me. @jennyema Does this look like the right thing to you?

I use HuyFong for all sorts of things, it is easy to find and lasts forever.

I would substitute garlic and a few of those dry birds mouth peppers or a good amount of dried red pepper flakes. You could also use cayenne.

The good news about making a substitution is that you don’t know how it should taste only how you would like it to taste.

This looks like it will be close to the Chinese chili with garlic sauce. That is a fermented sauce, so it's hard to get just like it, but this definitely be better than ketchup!

I use Huy Fong chili garlic sauce anyplace where I want some of those flavors, especially in stir-fry and dipping sauces and some gravies. It's a wet sauce with vinegar in it, so I wouldn't substitute just chile peppers and garlic. The recipe @taxlady posted looks pretty good to me.

Yeah! I found the chili garlic sauce at my local Kroger. Interestingly enough it was the only jar on the shelf.

Since I have an inordinate sense of curiosity I had to open jar and sample it. So...

Took off the lid, removed the seal and placed the pad of my index finger on the surface of the stuff.

I shall now forever be called "Hot Lips!" Whoa!! I can see where a little will go a long way. The recipe (serves 4) only calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of the sauce. Yep, I can see that.

Can't wait to make this dish!

Yeah! I found the chili garlic sauce at my local Kroger. Interestingly enough it was the only jar on the shelf.

Since I have an inordinate sense of curiosity I had to open jar and sample it. So...

Took off the lid, removed the seal and placed the pad of my index finger on the surface of the stuff.

I shall now forever be called "Hot Lips!" Whoa!! I can see where a little will go a long way. The recipe (serves 4) only calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of the sauce. Yep, I can see that.

Can't wait to make this dish!
It’s good stuff!

Try mixing it with mayonnaise and using it as a sandwich spread, adding it to seafood dipping sauce, a small amount on scrambled eggs, etc…

Back
Top Bottom