Need info on Cobb Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure I follow you, Grillster.

With a propane grill with multiple burners you are cooking with indirect heat if you have the meat over unlit burners. Add a smoke pouch to the burner, and you are smoking the same way.

In the cobb you might have a convection effect, but the direct heat is still right below what you are smoking. Isn't that more or less grilling?

Technically yes, but with the roasting rack in place the meat is suspended above the cooking surface. The reality of it is, If I have 20 people coming and I am making several racks of ribs, or a brisket etc, I will fire up my Brinkman, and a bag of charcoal. If it's me and the old lady - it's the Cobb and 8 briquettes.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not charcoal stingy. I have a corner of my garage devoted to lump, briquettes, fire starters and smoking woods. But since I got this thing a month ago, I'm happy as a pig in you know what. I just ordered another one today and had it sent to my brother.

WestMarine online has them on discontinued. The stainless steel model for $68.99.
I forget..is this the site where ya can't name prices?

I ordered one today..but got no email confrimation yet. They may be sold out with me
outta luck.

I plan on using plenty of smoke chips for whatever I grill. I take it it's not a bad idea to
put a large nail or small bolt where the lid fits down to give some air intake?

Last edited:
I decided I'm going to get a small flat panel for the kitchen instead.
It will get more use :wacko:

I decided I'm going to get a small flat panel for the kitchen instead.
It will get more use :wacko:

We got a bigger tv for the living room to replace the 40" flat panel. My wife said she wanted to mount the year old tv in the kitchen and I said what the!!
I thought the idea of placing a large panel tv in the kitchen was overbearing and out of the norm. But now since we've had it there for the last couple of months I'm kind of liking it.
:)

I've been looking at the 19-22 in range. Something to hang on the wall for when I'm prepping or checking on dinner.
My name is pacanis and I'm a TV junkie :)

Well those TV's sound great but I'm still stuck on my new Cobb. It may be awhile before I buy a new set.

The local supermarket has whole chickens on sale for 69 cents a pound. I'm off on Thursdays. So Wednesday night on the way home I am going to grab one and inject it with Cajun butter marinade and then cook it on the Cobb the next day. Either that or I have some home made Cornell sauce in the fridge. I going to try the green beans recipe from the Fleederman site in the moat.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Pics would be nice, too :)

I haven't ruled a Cobb grill out. The TV got ordered an hour ago, so maybe I'll buy one of those grills for myself in the fall.

I just got home from buying one of the last 3 remaining Cobb Premier Grills
from the Oceanside store West Marine here in San Diego. $68.99! Carrying bag included. None left in SD county. I can't wait to try it.
West Marine online is unfortunetely sold out of them now. I'm ordering the roasting rack online.

About TV in the kitchen? I have one of those little GE Spacemaker TV's that
mount under the counter. Running the cable to it whereever I live is always
a challenge tho.

Here's my Cobb set up.

l_bc5250dc80dfd093bc80b796281cea03.jpg

l_5f0ab03b14d37d958c63d1c4a461e7cd.jpg

I injected the chicken with Cajun garlic and herb marinade. Potatoes in the moat. 90 minutes later - we feasted!

One thing about the Cobb grill, if you add smoke wood chips, you need to
keep them to a minimum. This grill is so effecient, if you use too many wood
chips, your meat will taste like you poured liquid smoke over the meat.

Also, I used smoke chips and peeled my potatoes and put them in the moat.
I added a little water to the moat and the potatoes were covered in foil.
They came out grey.

Again, I suggest ppl go easy using smoke wood chips with the Cobb Grill.
And don't soak them in water. Let them smoke and be done with flavoring.
Otherwise...if wet...they will slowly infuse too much smoke flavor into meats.

A tiny amount of wood smoke chips goes a long way with this grill.

Thanks for the info. I learned my lesson early on as well. You only need a little wood or you will turn out a ham regardless of what you are cooking. Thanks for reminding me. :chef:

And a P.S. from me....use baby potatoes with the skin on and they will come out perfecto - no grey - Grillster

Coob grill

I purchased one at a high quality BBQ outlet in Hon Kong.

I own quite a number of BBQ grills, including the Weber Smokey Joe.

What made me interested in this particluar product is how close it is to the table grills used by the Koreans to grill Kalbi and Bulgogi at the resterant table.

So, I purchased it and took it to my coworker's Saturday BBQ meeting. Everyone looked at it and commented how compact it is and how the construction is really great.

Then we lit up the big grill we normally use, a Smokey Joe for the franks, and finally the Cobb.

We did not use the 8 coals, but instead opt for the 'Cobble Stone'.

I cooked 4 rib eyes in 12 minutes that were equal to the best out of any restarant.

I was quite suprised to see how quick and well it performed. Especially, since I have been grilling (BBQ) for around forty years.

Everyone of my coworkers were equally suprised; however, not as much as I was when on Monday - I found out that five of my co-workers when and purchased a Cobb for thier own use.

Until you try one, you can not know how great these actually are and how easy they are to use.

PS: The bottom is cool to the touch, so no worried about burning tables, grass, truck tailgates...

AND I do not work for them either!

What made me interested in this particluar product is how close it is to the table grills used by the Koreans to grill Kalbi and Bulgogi at the resterant table.

This last post made me resurrect this thread as I was thinking the exact same thing and how I can modify my 6 yr old Cobb Premier as this cooker was not really designed for high heat grilling with a charcoal basket that holds only 8 briquettes. And I've only used it just a few times since owning it. It's great for roasting but so so in the grilling mode.
Funny thing is, I was looking at my Cobb the other day thinking I can make a larger coal basket from expanded metal and turn this thing into a hibachi.

So, this afternoon I was watching some YouTube videos on the Cobb and, lo and behold, I came across this new Cobb accessory that turns this cooker into a table top hibachi! This "BBQ Kit" consists of a larger coal basket and a nice stainless steel grate for grilling. I think I'm going to order this kit.

Last edited:
Can you link me to that video? I Googled Cobb BBQ kit and all it showed was a stainless steel louvered vent type grill thingy with no mention of the bigger basket for coals. I notice the Cobb Supreme is bigger and oval shaped too. Maybe the bigger charcoal basket is just for that model?

I used to like using those self lighting circular charcoal briquettes. The only bummer was, a lot of sites shipped outdated stock or they were faulty and just fizzled out. Charcoal worked just as well.

Consistency was one problem I had using the Cobb grill. There's a bit of a learning curve.
Clean up was a bit messy too, with all that yucky moat water to pour out and clean.
When it worked, it worked well. Set it and forget it! Great for game hens and small chickens.
I didn't like having to add charcoal for slow cooked ribs tho. That got a bit fumbly.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link. You're right. The charcoal basket has been re-designed to be bigger and is much easier to set onto the base. Huge improvement. The hibachi style grill accessory is an improvement too. Steak lovers don't have to set T-Bones on a cone shaped metal plate with holes punched in it. That was Cobb's failing (for steaks at least). I may buy another Cobb in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom