Need info on Cobb Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gary b

Cook
hello,

I need any info about a small outdoor tabletop grill called the "Cobb grill", I'm thinking of buying. I am wanting to grill or maybe smoke small amounts of food for 2-3 people. I was considering the Cobb grill b/c the manufacturer advertises the grill will cook using very small amounts of charcoal. However, I have heard though, that this grill is hard to clean. This is a picture of the Cobb grill. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gary

Gary, I have no experience with this grill but it looks like it would be hard to clean.

Hopefully, someone whos knows more will come along soon.

Have you looked at the Weber tabletop grills?

thanks andy,

I was also looking at the Weber Smokey Joe kettle grill like you suggested, but I don't know if it would use the small amount of charcoal the Cobb grill supposedly does. I would be taking this grill camping on occasion and the less charcoal I have to pack the better. The Cobb looks like it may be better insulated, and therefore use less charcoal than the Smokey Joe Weber kettle, when doing covered cooking/smoking of a chicken or small pork butt, though I'm not sure. Maybe someone also has some info about using the Weber Smokey Joe for covered grilling and how much charcoal it uses.

You can't compare the Cobb to a Smokey Joe

They are 2 different animals.
If you're looking for a cheap firebox that can grill steaks and burgers then get the Weber. The Cobb is a gourmet portable grill made completly from Stainless Steel and is not a cheap charcoal grill that will rust after 2 months.

The Cobb can not only Grill but it can also roast, smoke, fry, bake... you name it and the flavour is unbelievable. Chicken's come off this grill after about 90 minutes, peferctly done and the juiciest bird you've ever had.

It has to be the best portable charcoal cooker around and I cook on it 2 -3 times a week. Last night I did a rack of lamb, with potatoes and carrots in the moat. We fed all 4 of us easily. It's amazing how much food this little grill can do.

Yes, it is a little difficult to clean but has anyone ever owned a charcoal grill that isn't. It's nothing unreasonable and is dishwasher friendly, so just wipe it down and throw it in there. I was told by a helpfull guy on the Cobb Website to slice up a lemon and put it in the moat with some water. That makes clean up really easy. Of course you can't do that when you are grilling vegitables in the moat.

I just upgraded to the Premier. It is a Stainless Steel mesh, instead of the plastic and a few other upgrades too. It is way nicer than the classic and just looks so darn cool! There are a bunch of cool accessories too.

If you're looking for the Premier or the accessories, try www.cobbq.com, www.cobbamerica.com or www.garrettwade.com. Some have free shipping for the holidays, others have some good bundles.

Cobb America also has some great forums with recipes etc.

Happy Holidays!

That is one of the most interesting cooking things I've seen in a long time.If I had a camper or did a lot of camping (out of car-doors type!!) any more I would be sorely tempted! And for the quality of components the price seems pretty reasonable. How large is it? It shows a chicken, I guess--not a turkey.

It does about a 8lb Chicken. Not quite a turkey but I would love to see a bigger one of these.

I did 3 racks of ribs on mine a while back. You jsut pile them up on top of each other to full the whole dome area. It cooks like a convection oven so they were all perfect. With ribs, the longer you do them the better they are, so after about 5 hours, they come out great. I only had to add a little more coal in the middle.

The amazing thing is that it cooks with only 8 briquettes for 3 hours. It's increadable. Any serious gourmet BBQ chef needs to try this thing.

cobbmaster said:
It does about a 8lb Chicken. Not quite a turkey but I would love to see a bigger one of these.

I did 3 racks of ribs on mine a while back. You jsut pile them up on top of each other to full the whole dome area. It cooks like a convection oven so they were all perfect. With ribs, the longer you do them the better they are, so after about 5 hours, they come out great. I only had to add a little more coal in the middle.

The amazing thing is that it cooks with only 8 briquettes for 3 hours. It's increadable. Any serious gourmet BBQ chef needs to try this thing.

Are you a rep for this company?

Candocook said:
Are you a rep for this company?

That pretty much echoes what I was thinking.

Here's my concern: A briquettes of charcoal only emit so much heat, and even if you manage to hold on to 100% of that heat, I seriously doubt that its enough to cook a whole chicken through.

We've had several threads regarding what I'm about to say before: using off-brand items vs. using name brand items, both in food and in gear. Most of the time I'm all for trying a new gadget or purchasing off-brand items, but for something like a grill, I want to know its reputation and I want to know that it works, and that's why I've always gone with Weber grills. Both of my grills are Weber, and my family's grills have always been Weber. They do what they're supposed to do, and that's all I need. I do know that my first grill was a little portable charcoal Weber, that folded up and had wheels so you could roll it behind you. I think it cost me like $30. My dad actually purchased a mini gas grill so that he could grill small amounts of things in the winter (he firmly believes that charcoal is the ONLY way to grill) without having to fire up his huge grill.

If you want novelty, then go with the cobb. It sure looks cool and might even be worth all that money if it works.

If you want tried and tested, I say go for Weber, or some other grill manufacturer that you know and trust.

No, I'm not with the company but I have to admit that I did work an RV show for them once. Sold about 30 units in 3 days. I just really like the grill and use it all the time.

On your doubts about the heat. You are completly wrong. Charcoal, emits a lot of heat but most of it is wasted on an open grill. The Cobb is designed to take the heat and circulate it like a convection oven. They claim it cooks up to 500 degrees but I've only ever got it to a little over 400, which is way more than you'll ever need. It does a chicken 100% perfect... better than any other method I've ever tried and still enough heat to cook some sausages after. At the show we were doing 2 chickens a day and giving out samples.

On off brand items. I tend to agree that most 'made for TV' gadgets are gimmics but this is not. It is simply a small South African company trying to get a footing in the US. They have come out with 3 advances on the grill since I first used one and I definitly wouldn't say it's a novelty. Athough they are not a Weber, I think you will hear big things from this company in the near future.

I personally havn't seen anything new or innovative from Weber in years. They change the colors and sizes every so often but it's still just a tub with a bunch of coal thrown in and a grill on top.

My question was just that--a question, because of his screen name mainly. But there are lots of innovative things that come up after name brands are established. it just takes some knowledge to see if the "tool" fits the need you have. This has quite a different use from a Weber, in my opinion, so it is apples and oranges.
One thing that comes to mind is the pellet fuel smokers that are available now. I personally think using them in BBQ competitions shouldn't be allowed--too new, not old fashioned fire tending all night.

Confirming COBBMASTER's Opinions

I wanted to bring this thread a bit up to date, since it is several years old. Everything Cobbmaster has claimed is certainly true for the COBB grill. I've had mine for 4 months now, and still use it at least once a week. It is perfect for apartments and RV's as it stashes away nicely.

The results are incredible, I've done full chickens (90 minutes), Tri-Tips, and racks of ribs (cut them in 3rds and stack them) and like to use smoke with all the food. Using the clever moat is like doing a 'beer-can chicken', the bird is incredibly moist and will be the best many of your guests will have ever had. Promise!

The unit is a tad expensive, I guess, but checking the prices on the other leading portable grills...there are plenty that do less and cost more.

Cleaning is pretty easy. All the non-stick surfaces are easy, of course, and if you mop up the liquid in the moat with a paper towel before it cools down, the inner sleeve scrubs out easy with a copper scouring pad (copper ones won't scratch steel, but remember that the steel scouring pads will scratch steel)

All the pieces and parts are of a good high quality and the design is incredibly efficient. I use about 10-12 briquets and that's enough for everything I'm cooking. They last for hours.

The carrying case, the nylon bag, is sturdy and well designed and will comfortably carry ALL the components and ALL the accessories plus briquets, matches, smoking wood and smoke pot all inside. Basically, everything but the food.

I recommend this little baby to everyone. It is neither a gimmick, nor a novelty...it is an advanced scientifically designed tool that uses little fuel to do a great job.

My only minor gripe is the cost of the wire roasting rack accessory. At the manufacturing price of this piece, it should be included with the grill. Using this allows you to NOT have to turn the meat during the cooking. It is very convenient and I use it every time I cook. It is overpriced, some try to hawk it at $30 but any round wire rack will do...find one at a thrift shop for $2 and save the loot.

The other accessories are also a tad pricey, but the Wok, the Frying Pan, the griddle, etc., are a good high quality and extend the versatility of this little unit.

I think this is one of those brilliant new products that are worth every penny.

Note that currently there are two models of the COBB. The original is being phased out and is discounted to around $50. It has a black plastic base and is otherwise pretty much the same, and cooks the same. Google it for sources. This model is good if you want to try it and save some loot too.

The Premiere model has a stainless steel mesh base and is more expensive. If you are pretty convinced, from all the praises on the internet about the COBB...get this model Both can be moved during cooking as the sides are cool. This Grill is almost Kid-friendly because of the cool sides. If I need to restack a large pile of ribs, I carry the unit into the kitchen, restack everything neatly, then carry it back outside again. Very handy.

My recommend to readers is my recommend to my friends: Need a portable grill? Get the COBB, you'll love it.

New Cobb Grills...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the info. I did want to update and correct you a couple of things.

The original model is the Cobb Classic and has a black plastic base. It was discontinues about 18 months ago but is still available cheap.

The Premier is fully Stainless Steel (304 grade marine quality) and replaced the Classic. Looks way better and lasts forever. Great for boating

Just releases is the new Cobb Pro. (Have a look at the CobbQ website under Cobbs)
This new model has a powder coated base but everything else is Stainless Steel. This brings the cost down to $99 for those who do not need to use it on a boat or are not worried about rust.

The Cobb has really built up a following and has got a name for itself in stores like REI, Cabelas, West Marine and others...

The accessories are a little expensive but CobbQ.com has the Roasting Rack for $19. Some places are cheaper.One of the reasons they are more is because they are all 304 grade stainless steel. Top quality stuff.

Hope this helps

Cobbmaster

I wanted to bring this thread a bit up to date, since it is several years old. Everything Cobbmaster has claimed is certainly true for the COBB grill. I've had mine for 4 months now, and still use it at least once a week. It is perfect for apartments and RV's as it stashes away nicely.

The results are incredible, I've done full chickens (90 minutes), Tri-Tips, and racks of ribs (cut them in 3rds and stack them) and like to use smoke with all the food. Using the clever moat is like doing a 'beer-can chicken', the bird is incredibly moist and will be the best many of your guests will have ever had. Promise!

The unit is a tad expensive, I guess, but checking the prices on the other leading portable grills...there are plenty that do less and cost more.

Cleaning is pretty easy. All the non-stick surfaces are easy, of course, and if you mop up the liquid in the moat with a paper towel before it cools down, the inner sleeve scrubs out easy with a copper scouring pad (copper ones won't scratch steel, but remember that the steel scouring pads will scratch steel)

All the pieces and parts are of a good high quality and the design is incredibly efficient. I use about 10-12 briquets and that's enough for everything I'm cooking. They last for hours.

The carrying case, the nylon bag, is sturdy and well designed and will comfortably carry ALL the components and ALL the accessories plus briquets, matches, smoking wood and smoke pot all inside. Basically, everything but the food.

I recommend this little baby to everyone. It is neither a gimmick, nor a novelty...it is an advanced scientifically designed tool that uses little fuel to do a great job.

My only minor gripe is the cost of the wire roasting rack accessory. At the manufacturing price of this piece, it should be included with the grill. Using this allows you to NOT have to turn the meat during the cooking. It is very convenient and I use it every time I cook. It is overpriced, some try to hawk it at $30 but any round wire rack will do...find one at a thrift shop for $2 and save the loot.

The other accessories are also a tad pricey, but the Wok, the Frying Pan, the griddle, etc., are a good high quality and extend the versatility of this little unit.

I think this is one of those brilliant new products that are worth every penny.

Note that currently there are two models of the COBB. The original is being phased out and is discounted to around $50. It has a black plastic base and is otherwise pretty much the same, and cooks the same. Google it for sources. This model is good if you want to try it and save some loot too.

The Premiere model has a stainless steel mesh base and is more expensive. If you are pretty convinced, from all the praises on the internet about the COBB...get this model Both can be moved during cooking as the sides are cool. This Grill is almost Kid-friendly because of the cool sides. If I need to restack a large pile of ribs, I carry the unit into the kitchen, restack everything neatly, then carry it back outside again. Very handy.

My recommend to readers is my recommend to my friends: Need a portable grill? Get the COBB, you'll love it.

Cobb Grill

I've had mine now for a few months and I can echo everything you guys are saying about the Cobb Grill. In addition to the Cobb Grill, I own a propane grill, a charocoal grill and a charcoal water smoker. My neighbors must of thought I was nuts when they looked over the fence and saw me firing up yet another grill. However since I bought this thing I haven't even turned the others on. I made a chicken in the Cobb that came out perfect in 90 minutes with about a tenth of the charcoal I would have used in the other grills. With far less clean up as well. I don't know why people on this forum are saying clean up is a problem because I just don't see it. I can have mine spic and span in about 15 minutes by hand. I haven't even tried the dishwasher method yet but I'm sure I will sooner or later.

I followed this thing on the net for a while and none of the sites had adequate information, recipes, return policy, etc. I bought mine from the Art Fleederman site because he had all that and more. They threw in the roasting rack, and a bottle of Bacon Salt. Needless to say, I won't be returning mine, but I could have if I didn't like it. It was important to me, as I keep buying things that claim this and that but don't deliver. This grill does everything it says it will.

Is is a little pricey, yes, but it's made of quality materials, won't rust, and because it does what I want it to do, I am happy with the value it will provide over time. I was in my buddies garage the other day and he had three Smokey Joes thrown on the shelf in various states of decompostion. I don't even know what those cost but if you have to keep buying them, which one cost less for the long haul. I bet the Cobb.

Get a Cobb, you won't be sorry.

P.S. And the Bacon Salt is fabulous too!

Is the moat area suitable for making sauces? If you are cooking whole rack of lamb and chickens i imagine you have some amount of drippings coming off. Why not make some fresh gravy? Or maybe it would be possible to throw some wine and herbs in the bottom to steam. The acidity would make it easier to clean as well.

I haven't done it, but it is certainly doable per Cobb's instruction manual. I know when I roasted a chicken I had plenty of juices to make gravy with. It's no different then my water smoker with the bowl of water underneath the food. It moisturizes eveything and flavors it. Next I am going to put beer in the moat for chicken and see how that comes out. I'll keep you posted.

So, as someone who cooks on a propane grill and puts smoke chips on the burners to smoke something..... and am in love with my propane grill, would anyone reccommend this cobb grill for a multi purpose charcoal grill that can smoke pretty well?

I just visited the cobb america website and don't see how it doubles as an actual smoker. At least with my propane, the meat is not over the heat (like a true smoker). There aren't any examples of smoking, but it looks like the meat would have to be directly over the charcoal.... so basically you are just adding smoke flavor like I am presently, but over direct heat, which isn't "smoking" :huh:

When you smoke on most charcoal grills, you use indirect heat and you let the smoke flavor the food. You can do the same thing with the Cobb when roasting meats because it acts like a convection oven. Cobb's instruction manual has you place the soaked chips in a foil packet with holes at the top. Put the packet on top of the coals, place the cooking surface and roasting rack on top, then the food and cover. Just like you would do with a propane grill. Except with a lot less charcoal and a lot more efficient use of the heat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom