Need help with cooking lollipops!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbinator

Assistant Cook
Hi folks!

Trying my hand at making lollipops but I can't get past the candy base yet, never mind experimenting with flavors.Here is my problem with 3 attempts at cooking it (and keep in mind I have a brand new thermometer from the candy store):

1) I used too big a pot and didn't pay attention to my thermometer and burnt it, but the consistency for hard candy was great. I thought I might have cooked it on high too hard too fast.

2) My 2nd attempt I used a smaller pot and cooked the sugar and syrup at medium-high heat to boil and get it to 300F. It was still gooey and didn't harden.

3) My 3rd attempt I used my smallest pot and got to boil at medium-high heat, than turned it up to high until it hit 300F....same consistency as my 2nd attempt.

In looking back (especially with the first 2 attempts, I realize it is possible that my thermometer was not well covered in the mixture. I'm wondering with my small batch, if the thermometer is not being covered enough? Should I be using the 'drop some in the water' technique and compare it to the current thermometer temperature, or should I double my batch so my thermometer is well covered?

Can't seem to be able to edit my original post.

4) Another problem (mostly with the last two attempts), I'm finding most of the syrup sticking to the bottom of the pan so I can't pour it. I know you aren't supposed to stir it and I have a non stick pan so is that a problem with it not being cooked enough? Any thoughts on how I can make the most of my syrup?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I don't have experience with making candy, but other members do - I'm sure someone will reply about that soon. I just wanted to mention that on this forum, you have about 20 minutes to edit your posts. If something is really wrong with it, you can report it to the mods and ask them to make a change.

I suspect you're going too fast.
sugar is dense, and viscous, and heat does not move quickly through hot sugar.
sugar is very slow to heat up, and if you've had a nice sugar burn.... you know how slowly it cools down.

primary clue: sticking to the bottom... that come from heating it too fast and potentially not stirring enough. the bottom sets hard before the top gets up to temp.

sugar cannot be rushed, period. heat it slowly, watch the temps, stir frequently - and as it thickens - constantly. it takes time for the entire pot (large or small) to reach a uniform+/- temperature throughout.

I suspect you're going too fast....sugar cannot be rushed, period. heat it slowly, watch the temps, stir frequently - and as it thickens - constantly. it takes time for the entire pot (large or small) to reach a uniform+/- temperature throughout.

Thanks! Every video or website I've watched or read says not to stir once it has reached the boiling point and leave it alone to reach 300F. Perhaps my sugar is not properly dissolved but when you have 1 cup of sugar to a 1/4 cup water, over-saturation is inevitable so I'm not sure what you can do about that. I think from what I've heard, I need a better pot.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
the weather might be a factor. is it very humid?

It might be a bit humid in my house as of late, but I think part of it is the kind of pot I'm using. I am going to buy a stainless steel pot and see how that might improve things.

Back
Top Bottom