Need help please - FOLLOW UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I hope you get to do what you wish to do.
Wishing doesn't generally pan out for most of us.

With that, I would factor in a difficulty in being able to sell to any local stores that may reject it due to the label, time/money. Factor in the cost of reprinting the label if the FDA contacts you and requires you to relabel all your spice mix. Factor in buying new label stock, and the glue required to attach labels to the containers. Factor in a delay in selling due to people not buying spice mixes without correct ingredient lists.

only allergens i have to list is:

img: https://i.ibb.co/GPHZPxq/ddd.png

1.) cause it's all the FDA software allows
2.) ALL and i mean ALL my ingredients are FDA listed and provided as safe in small amounts.. i forget the exact term they use.. but know as safe in moderate daily portions..

Well, I hope you get to do what you wish to do.
Wishing doesn't generally pan out for most of us.

With that, I would factor in a difficulty in being able to sell to any local stores that may reject it due to the label, time/money. Factor in the cost of reprinting the label if the FDA contacts you and requires you to relabel all your spice mix. Factor in buying new label stock, and the glue required to attach labels to the containers. Factor in a delay in selling due to people not buying spice mixes without correct ingredient lists.

i'm already guaranteed to be in the Kroger store where i work at - (Support Local) section and going into Jungle Jim's.. so my label has been reviewed and accepted by both places.. i am working on getting it into a restaurant.. where i have my most of my background as a former head chef for 15yrs.. i have lots of contacts

my spice blend is already in a restaurant in Rhode Island - has been for 3yrs.. the place where i created it.. so no difficulty there...

i think you over think it.. it's not as hard as you may think/believe. Granted.. i do have contacts, my store manager, me being a former chef with chef contacts and all.. so maybe i do have a leg up on things than most.. still, not as difficult as one may think.

i just never tried to bottle anything i ever came up with.. and now i want to cause i'm tired of getting up at 5am to punch a clock.. i want my own place and well.. time to sell some spice blends and sauces that i have created over the years to come up with a down payment on a food truck or brick and mortar.. so bottling and all is new to me.. hence why i am here..

Last edited:
i think you over think it.. it's not as hard as you may think/believe.

I have this aversion to having the FDA call me or knock on my door. I try to avoid it at all costs. I'm just not fond of breaking the rules or guidelines or laws.

I do, I absolutely do over think it. It is a hobby of mine. Better safe than sorry. I do tend not to take the easy way out, when easy means thoughtless or heedless, possibly negatively impacting others health or welfare. I've seen how that can cause problems.

Lol, bliss.
That reminds me of Demetri Martin's comment, "The other day I was thinking the I often overthink things."

i don't really care about listing the ingredients.. however, that mandatory listing of them makes anyone's recipe not private or proprietary

No it doesn´t, because you don´t have to list the exact quantities of each spice. So I may havea recipe for steak rub which includes paprika, garlic salt, onion salt and cumin; but if I´m using 4 tbsps of garlic salt to 1/2 tsp of all the rest, it´s going to taste different from 1 tsp of all the ingredients, right?

...This past year I wanted some chili powder. The actual chili ground up with nothing added. You might be surprised to look at the ingredients on chili powders, with salt, sugar, other ingredients.
A product labeled "chili" is a seasoning blend. Most manufacturers do add sugar and salt, which is why I make my own. What you need to look for is individual chile powders ground from the particular chile pepper, such as ancho chile's, pasilla, chipotle, etc.

A product labeled "chili" is a seasoning blend. Most manufacturers do add sugar and salt, which is why I make my own. What you need to look for is individual chile powders ground from the particular chile pepper, such as ancho chile's, pasilla, chipotle, etc.

Yes, thank you. I did find 'New Mexican Chili ground', which was ground up annaheims.

OK, fair enough.
So here´s another question: if you can get an exemption,why not just keep it simple? List the ingredients, and that´s it.

because i honestly feel that the FDA contradicts itself.. for a hot sauce or mustard, you don't have to list each "spice", but in a dry you do? why? a spice is a spice no matter if it's in a sauce, mustard, dry rub or whatever.. they CLEARLY marked the item as a "SPICE"!

SUBSTANCES GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS SAFE:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=182&showFR=1

so what's the big deal then? you can say "spices" in one thing but not in another? they're full of SHHIIITTT if you ask me! if the item is listed as safe and and can be used as "SPICES"... get the point?

paprika is paprika, garlic is garlic, onion is onion.. i mean c'mon now... a spice is a spice no matter how you look at it.

i'm listing mine, but only because i am forced to.. still doesn't make sense nor have they justified it in any manner!

Last edited:
i think you over think it.. it's not as hard as you may think/believe. Granted.. i do have contacts, my store manager, me being a former chef with chef contacts and all.. so maybe i do have a leg up on things than most.. still, not as difficult as one may think.

I think you are very much underthinking it. My best friend is a food manufacturer. She sells sauces to restaurants in Massachusetts and New York and retail at gourmet stores in both states and on line through Macy's. She is now fairly well known in the national food community.

She is completing a larger factory to make her product.

It has been a tough and expensive haul for her. There are a million things to take into consideration. Its a 24/7/365 effort. She has a business partner and family and friends like me who help, but its still probably more stressful that her previous job as a securities analyst. More rewarding, though.

Recently she's had supply problems with her bottles which has put her into quite a bind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom