Need help please - FOLLOW UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruffsta

Cook
ok, so the new true measurement readings are as follows - (thanks to my new gram scale):

102 servings
1/4 Tsp - (0.8g)
Sodium: 65mg at 3%
Sugar: 0mg at 0% - (the 0.21 doesn't even register as mentioned last topic..)

5.5oz bottle - (3oz) = 8.67 bottles

batch salt = 144g
batch Lt brown sugar = 220g

image: https://i.ibb.co/TH4BCPv/1265309-Nutrition-Label.jpg

bliss, any input?

Last edited:
Ruffsta, I cannot really help you because your communication is consistently unclear. I'm not saying mine is better or I don't make mistakes, but you are unclear.

The fda guidance for the ingredients on a spice mix says one thing, and you ignore it for what you want. The spices must be listed.
This is what it should look like.

8147KwgvLrL._SL1500_.jpg

Your servings went from 120/bottle to 102/bottle. All your calculations will have to be recalculated. If you've done that, then go with that. Use a calculator. Follow the same formulas. Good Luck.

serving size 1/4 teaspoon?
that's seriously unrealistic.

no it's not... have you read dry rubs / seasonings? i look at them all the time.. 1/4 tsp is a norm. i work in a grocery store i can take TONS and TONS pictures of serving sizes..

Last edited:
Your servings went from 120/bottle to 102/bottle

i did say i was getting a new scale.. and according to my old scale it said 120 while the new scale says 102.. and i measured 34 tsp's to an ounce.. so x 3 = 102

Last edited:
Why are you multiply by 3, when you say that a serving is 1/4 of teaspoon? I think you should be multiplying by 4, since that's how many servings there are in a teaspoon. Am I misunderstanding something?

But, it would be more accurate to weigh out an ounce and then measure how many teaspoons there are in that, then multiply by 4.

Last edited:
Why are you multiply by 3, when you say that a serving is 1/4 of teaspoon? I think you should be multiplying by 4, since that's how many servings there are in a teaspoon. Am I misunderstanding something?

But, it would be more accurate to weigh out an ounce and then measure how many teaspoons there are in that, then multiply by 4.

Serving sizeis1
1/4 tsp.. 34 in an oz x 3 for 3oz is 102 Servings

I´ve just looked at some spice mixes in the closet: Trader Joe´s,
whole foods, McCormick, 365 Whole Foods, Kroger,etc.
Some of the items give a serving size as 1/4 tsp. Others, 1/3 tsp. Others, 1/2 tsp. And yet others, don´t even have "Nutritional Information" on the packet.
They do, however, contain a list of ingredients - all of them.
Like I suggested before, if you want a precise, exact,accurate, detailed,meticulous, perfect Nutritional Information table on your product, run, don´t walk to a registered Food Laboratory, where they will analyse your product and produce all this information with scientific precision.

34 what in an oz, 34 quarter teaspoons or 34 whole teaspoons?

mistyped.. but i did correct myself...

34 servings measured at a 1/4 tsp each = 1oz

my bottle holds 3oz.. so 34 x 3 = 102 servings per bottle

i cannot make it more clear than that..

I agree that a serving size of 1/4 teaspoon borders on the ridiculous.... sorry

ok.. that's YOUR opinion... but facts are facts.. here is just 1 example of exactly the same thing as mine only they are using a bigger bottle and more servings..

pic 1: https://i.ibb.co/Yk6FtK1/20220202-154816.jpg

pic 2: https://i.ibb.co/dLPJP95/20220202-154845.jpg

so again, i'm not gonna sit here and argue or debate serving sizes.. a serving size is determined by the maker.. and well 3oz gives 102 servings at 1/4 tsp to make 3oz of my blend... just like they are as well as with many other rubs / seasonings... it doesn't take much to season 1 piece of chicken or 12 shrimp or whatever... and people will use as much or as little of as they want as a seasoning.. as for using it as a rub then one will probably use atleast half the bottle especially if your smoking meats.. so just for seasoning 1 piece of chicken both sides really only takes 1/4 tsp... so i'm done debating on serving sizes...

Last edited:
https://agri.ohio.gov/divisions/food-safety/resources/cottage-food

The exemption for labeling is from the federal gov't. The cottage food guidance is in that link. Nutritional labels must include the ingredients.

While someone might worry that their spice mix might be copied by consumers instead of buying a spice mix, me, as a consumer, won't buy anything in a package that doesn't have an ingredient list.
For instance, banana's don't need an ingredient list.
Processed foods, spice mixes, do need one, or it could be wood pulp for all I know.

This past year I wanted some chili powder. The actual chili ground up with nothing added. You might be surprised to look at the ingredients on chili powders, with salt, sugar, other ingredients.

i don't really care about listing the ingredients.. however, that mandatory listing of them makes anyone's recipe not private or proprietary.. if you use recipal.. you do have the option as i have showed to select spice or not a spice in the ingredient statement - it makes the ingredients label automatically.. but anyways.. it just pisses me off because i want my recipe to be mine and mine alone - not for everyone to try and re-create.. paprika is a spice and a spice alone.. so the FDA should allow me to say "spice" and not paprika as recipal IS FDA approved site in label making.. i don't see why if i make a mustard or a hot sauce i can spice and not have to say paprika... it's the same freaking ingredient / item.. it IS a spice in the end.. whatever...

if i have to list them i will.. but that is to be determined by clear confirmation from the FDA which i have contacted them yesterday.. they can't say one thing and allow another.. so i will get to the bottom of this yet.. cause to me it's all BS! can say spice in 1 thing but must state the ingredient in another thing - it's the same freaking ingredient.. it's all crap!

and i'm only using paprika as an example.. same goes with garlic powder or black pepper.. they ARE just spices! there is nothing more to them than just being a spice...

Last edited:
If you don't list the ingredients, you still have to list any allergens. I know more than one person with an allergy to alliums (onions, garlic, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom