Need good weight conversion chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmsouth1

Assistant Cook
I've decided I would like to convert some of my recipes and like to try to bake by weight. After looking at a few charts and websites it seems like they really vary.

I trust King Arthur but they don't have a print out chart.

I'd appreciate any help and advice

When I transcribed my recipes from volumes to weights, I did them as I cooked them... adding the volumetric amounts to a container on a scale, and then adding the resultant numbers to the recipe.

This not only calibrates the weights to your particular brands of ingredients, but also to the scale you are using.

For on the fly conversions I have always used Google Assistant... "Hey Google, how many grams in a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil?".

I looked over a number of charts (1/2 hour's worth of looking), and in my opinion, this was the best of the bunch. Try copy, and pasting the different pages into a word processor page, then printing. I've done this before. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. If it does, print the page and purchase plastic laminating sheets for protecting the page. Then you can simply stick it to a cork board, or use a magnet to put it on your fridge door for a ready reference,

https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/metric-conversion-charts

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've decided I would like to convert some of my recipes and like to try to bake by weight. After looking at a few charts and websites it seems like they really vary.

I trust King Arthur but they don't have a print out chart.

I'd appreciate any help and advice

With King Arthur flours and others I suspect, the information you need to convert is in the Nutrition Facts label.

e.g. for KA AP flour, the label states the portion size is ¼ cup and indicates that is equal to 30 grams. Thus, a cup of flour is equal to 120 grams.

I suspect other foods provide the same info.

I looked over a number of charts (1/2 hour's worth of looking), and in my opinion, this was the best of the bunch. Try copy, and pasting the different pages into a word processor page, then printing. I've done this before. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. If it does, print the page and purchase plastic laminating sheets for protecting the page. Then you can simply stick it to a cork board, or use a magnet to put it on your fridge door for a ready reference,

https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/metric-conversion-charts

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I've printed out charts like these and taped them to the inside of a cabinet door.

Maybe I'm just super lazy, what I did was get a scale that switches to measure in grams, ounces, milliliters and fluid ounces. So, no need to convert, just hit a button? I love my scale and I was shocked to see what a difference it makes in accuracy as opposed to measuring by volume!

Uh, oh...I just realized that my answer didn't help at all! LOL. You're looking to find the weights of different products. Sigh. Sorry!

Please carry on...

Back
Top Bottom